Pioneer DVR-116DBK jumper setting

I just want to verify the jumper setting to ensure the 116DBK drive is set to master because the pins are not numbered on the drive. The directions state master is pin #1 and it set from the factory with the jumper on pin #1. When you look at the drive from the rear, the jumper is set on the furthest pin to the right of the group of five jumper pins. So, am I right to assume the group of five jumper pins are numbered form right to left making pin #1 the furthest to the right? Thanks for the help!

@ Hercules1,

Perhaps viewing the below image will be helpful to you in determining the Pioneer DVR-116D jumper settings ->

Regards,
bjkg

Thank you for the pic. It looks like the master is the same as it is on most drives…even my iHAP422 is labled for master using the far right set of pins. The only difference between the picture and my 116DBK is mine has two more sets of pins to the left which the instructions says are reserved, and the labling. Thanks again for the help.

I have the same drive. I use cable select. Third from the right. My drive has a picture on the top of the drive, where it tells you to put the jumper. I can understand the confusion. This drive has 5 selectors instead of 3.

Well, I got it installed and ran some test burns using CD-DVD Speed. I got the 116DBK as the master and the iHAP422 as the slave. I upgraded the firmware to 1.09. The first burns I did really had me worried. I didn’t save any of the results, but, will give my general impressions until I figure out how to post the scans. First burns were done with Memorex 16x dvd+r CMC MAG M01 at 16x and 8x. I used this media first because it has given me the best burns from my iHAP422. 16x was no better than I would get with my iHAP and 8x was an absolute nightmare. The first quarter of the burn at 8x was giving pif errors in the 300’s and failures were in the 30’s. I then put it Verbatim 16x dvd-r MCC 03RG20 and burned at the same speeds. The 116DBK liked these. It gave much better burns than the iHAP at both speeds. I then downloaded the optimal writing speed utility and tried again at 16x with both media. It slowed the drive down to about 8x from 16x for both. Results for the CMC MAG M01 were still horible. Results for the verbatims were better…I had pif error average of 1.85 down from 3.81. This burn was the best I’ve ever had. I’d like to try some verbatim dvd+r’s to see if the problem I had with the CMC MAG’s is a “+r” issue. I’m guessing it’s not and just a media code problem for that specific media. At least I hope that’s all it is. So far, I’m thinking the master/slave settings are OK. I’ll know better when I try to burn something with Nero 7. Thanks for the help!

@ Hercules1,

In many instances your Memorex CMC MAG M01 Media can prove to be problematic Media. A review of the “Pioneer DVR-116/D/XL, A16FX/J - Results & Discussion” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-116-d-xl-a16fx-j-results-discussion-246334) posting thread will confirm this fact.

If you avoid the use of problematic Media and stick with known proven quality error free Media such as Taiyo Yuden and/or Verbatim Media you will not experience any Media related Burning problems.

In some hardware configurations using the Cable Select (CS) jumper selection can be problematic. Suggest using the appropriate Master-Slave jumper selection to avoid any such problems.

Also to obtain the optimal performance from your Pioneer DVR-116 ensure that you are using a Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html) and the Pioneer DVR-116 is connected correctly to the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable as detailed in the Connector Color Coding Assignment (refer to - http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html). Also ensure your Pioneer DVR-116 is operating in the Ultra DMA Mode 4 (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616).

Regards,
bjkg

bjkg, thanks for the advice. I had already performed and/or verified your recommendations. I’m thinking it’s just the CMC MAG M01 media. I’m going to try and get some Verbatim dvd+r media today. Thank you for the link to the “results and discussion” for the 116. I missed that last night when I was trying to find some results to compare the CMC burns to. I look forward to figuring out how to post scans that I’ve done to get some feedback on. Thanks again!