Pioneer DVR-116D Not Bitsetting DVD+R DLs

vbimport

Well, as we all know, the DVD +R DLs burnt by pioneers are supposed to be automatically bitsetted to the DVD ROM booktype. Running the 1.08 firmware, I’ve burnt a DL disc and when put into DVD Identifier and IMGBurn, it’s telling me the booktype has been set to DVD+R DL. I’m running out of media to test this with, so I’m a little hesitant to try burning my file again with out changing something to fix it. I’m currently burning with Ritek D01’s. Unfortunately it seems like my whole town in out of stock on reasonably priced Verbatims.

So in the mean time, does anyone have any idea why my drive is not automatically bitsetting to DVD ROM?

scroll all the way down the ImgBurn information.

looking for the Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

was this disc burned with ImgBurn?

Nope, I burnt it with CloneCD. Should I just take the dive and burn another copy using imgburn?

Just a thought, this DVD was the first dvd I ever burnt with this burner. I’ve been told this may cause some issues with the first DVD burnt.

Does CDSpeed show it as DVD-Rom?
Had a similar case here, seemed to be a bug in imgburn (or misleading info).

bitsetting is a drive/firmware feature, does not matter what program you used to burn. i was just looking for one line in ImgBurn log which states whether BookType is supported or not.

i dont know what happened sorry.

Nero Disc Speed (I’m assuming this is the CDspeed you’re talking about. It was what google spat out) shows the booktype to be DVD+R DL

Nero DiscSpeed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R DL
Book Type : DVD+R DL
Manufacturer: : Ritek
MID : RITEK D01 001 (01h)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X
Blank Capacity : n/a
Extended Information
Layers : 2
Layer break : 3.98 GB
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Open
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - E1 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF 00 22 D7 FF - …2…"…
0010 - 00 00 00 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 44 30 31 01 40 - …RITEK…D01.@
0020 - 25 25 37 0C 00 28 64 00 28 64 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 - %%7…(d.(d…
0030 - 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 - …

yep thats the one and look below for a guide, cd-dvd speed is a pretty nice free program.

[QUOTE=Laike;2153917] Disc Status : Open[/QUOTE]

That’s weird, did the burn finish successfully?

According to CloneCD, yes.

I’m getting a sinking feeling I may have a faulty drive. I’m tempted to give the burn one more try then exchange it for another drive tommorow.

I was just about to burn another disc to give it another go when I noticed this little part in image burn

Disc Control Blocks Information:
HL-DT-ST GSA-4120B

This shouldn’t be here I think, since that was my old DVD burner I just tore out of the computer. Could this be causing the bitsetting problems?

can you post a screen shot?

It means that disc was burnt with your old LG drive, not the new Pioneer one!

The booktype is applied when the disc is finalised so if it’s left ‘open’, it probably wouldn’t be set at all.

You’ll only get a line in ImgBurn’s log mentioning the booktype of the media if you verify when you burn - it’s the verify phase that actually checks for the current/real value from the ‘Physical Format Information - Last Recorded’ structure on the disc.

I am having this problem as well. I am using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs but everytime I put on the disc, the booktype is set to DVD+R DL. I even burned a disc but the disc still has booktype of DVD+R DL.

Seems like a go with a verbatim fixed it for now. I have no clue why it thought the last disc burnt was with my LG burner.

@ skyykj,

You are mistaken and confusing Media Type with Book Type. Official Pioneer DVR-116D Firmware automatically bit sets DVD+R DL Media to book type DVD-ROM. This bit setting of DVD+R DL Media to book type DVD-ROM is performed by the Pioneer DVR-116D Firmware automatically during the Media burning process and cannot be altered.

Ensure whatever Software Program(s) you are using that is informing that your Verbatim DVD+R DL Media burned in your Pioneer DVR-116D remains as book type DVR+R DL after burning is the newest most current up to date Version of the particular Software Program that is available. Using old out of date obsolete versions of Software Programs can provide incorrect information.

Regards,
bjkg