Pioneer DVR-115D -- dead or resurrect-able?

I’m using a PowerMac G4 dual 1.42GHz tower with two identical recently-purchased DVR-115D internal drives, both set to Cable Select. Operating Mac OS 10.5.2. Updated the factory firmware successfully with DVRFlash 2.5.1. Now, one week later, both drives have suddenly crapped out, at the same exact time. I removed one just to make sure there wasn’t any interference, but still have the following situation:

– the Eject menu shows the drive, but it is not the correct name anymore.
– the System Profiler app also indicates the same changed name.
– Toast 8.0.4 launches whenever I insert a valid CD or DVD that already has info on it, which is not supposed to happen.
– discs never appear on the desktop.
– Toast 8.0.4 fails to burn new CD’s and DVD’s.
– booting from an older 10.4.11 OS on another drive does not make any difference.

The name for both drives is “P OER DD-R DR-115” instead of the formerly correct “PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115”.

Can somebody help me fix these drives? Or, explain what they think happened? Can I get replacement drives from Pioneer under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Can you try:

1. Remove 2nd drive, re-update firmware on 1st drive.
  2. Remove 1st drive, re-update firmware on 2nd drive.
  3. Reinstall both drives, set to Master and Slave.

Master/Slave settings looks like a good start to me as well and if these settings are OK you might check if your IDE cable is still OK

Hi,quote=macsolu;2068790

The name for both drives is “P OER DD-R DR-115” instead of the formerly correct “PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115”.
[/quote]This is an indication for a bad IDE cable. Replace it by a new one (80wired; please note, anything different from 18"(46cm) flat ribbon is beyond the specs)

Michael

Just FYI for you folks – the Cable Select setting is how the Mac comes from the factory, and I’ve spent years with two burners installed and working just fine via Cable Select. I’m happy to try Master/Slave. I’m happy to swap out the cable. I’m happy to try to re-flash one drive at a time, but I suspect it’ll fail since the name of the drive cannot be accurately determined (just how many spaces ARE there between the leading “P” and the “OER”, for example?) – look at the screenshots. And it is my understanding that flashing requires the inputting of the exact name of the drive to be flashed, correct?

I use cable select for both my DVR 115D and both DVR 112D with no problems.
On two different computers.

I am leaning to the bad cable as well.

If it was a broken drive (or firmware), you’d likely not have the drive recognized by your machine at all because drives usually (and the 115 series definitely) have a checksum to make sure that the stored firmware is valid.

If it’s not the IDE cable it could also be a broken connector (misaligned pins) on either one of your drives or your mainboard.

Hi,[quote=macsolu;2069313]Just FYI for you folks – the Cable Select setting is how the Mac comes from the factory, and I’ve spent years with two burners installed and working just fine via Cable Select. I’m happy to try Master/Slave. I’m happy to swap out the cable. I’m happy to try to re-flash one drive at a time, but I suspect it’ll fail since the name of the drive cannot be accurately determined [/quote]No need to reflash, since this issue is not firmware related. Since the drives worked some time in the configuration you have now, I also doubt, the problem is due to the CS settings. Just start with a new cable.

Michael

Yes, flashing in such a state is a BAD IDEA!
Replace the ide cable is rule #1.

Did this get fixed?