Pioneer DVR-111D+Verbatim+fw flash= Unplayable Disc?

I’ve been using the 111D to back up my Xbox 360 games for quite some time.

I have Hitachi iXtreme 1.2 rev 2 firmware on the Xbox 360, burned using Imgburn and Verbatim DL disc (made in Singapore) at 2.4x

Everything had been fine with the backups until recently I updated the 111D firmware to Dangerous Brothers 8.29 INT for the bitsetting function. However, after that, I continuously get unplayable disc errors from the backups burned after the flash. The firmware flash was successful, as were the burns, but the discs would give “unplayable disc” error in the Xbox.

The bad burns seem to to happen at random right now, some attempts would result in a working burn, but most attempts would produce a burn with “unplayable disc” error. This never happened before I flashed the 111D and all my backups created before the firmware flash are still working 100% so I know the laser on the Xbox 360 isn’t dying.

Things I’ve tried to fix it:
-Flashing to another version of the DB firmware.(8.15, 8.19)
-Crossflashing to 111L.
-Flashing it back to the Pioneer firmware found on DB’s website (1.29)
-Do a clean install of windows
-Switching to another media (Phillips media seemed to produce more working burns than verbatim, but not much better)
-Switching to CloneCD

I’m pretty sure it’s only after the firmware flash that this started happening but I can’t be entirely sure that the firmware flash caused it.

Has anyone else experienced this? What could possibly cause this? Is there anyway to fix it? Is there anyway for me to detect what the difference is between the working discs and non-working ones so I can pin-point the problem?

[QUOTE=guy_uoft;1948809]I’ve been using the 111D to back up my Xbox 360 games for quite some time.

I have Hitachi iXtreme 1.2 rev 2 firmware on the Xbox 360, burned using Imgburn and Verbatim DL disc (made in Singapore) at 2.4x

Everything had been fine with the backups until recently I updated the 111D firmware to Dangerous Brothers 8.29 INT for the bitsetting function. However, after that, I continuously get unplayable disc errors from the backups burned after the flash. The firmware flash was successful, as were the burns, but the discs would give “unplayable disc” error in the Xbox.

The bad burns seem to to happen at random right now, some attempts would result in a working burn, but most attempts would produce a burn with “unplayable disc” error. This never happened before I flashed the 111D and all my backups created before the firmware flash are still working 100% so I know the laser on the Xbox 360 isn’t dying.

Things I’ve tried to fix it:
-Flashing to another version of the DB firmware.(8.15, 8.19)
-Crossflashing to 111L.
-Flashing it back to the Pioneer firmware found on DB’s website (1.29)
-Do a clean install of windows
-Switching to another media ([B]Phillips media seemed to produce more working burns than verbatim, but not much better[/B])
-Switching to CloneCD

I’m pretty sure it’s only after the firmware flash that this started happening but I can’t be entirely sure that the firmware flash caused it.

Has anyone else experienced this? What could possibly cause this? Is there anyway to fix it? Is there anyway for me to detect what the difference is between the working discs and non-working ones so I can pin-point the problem?[/QUOTE]

I hardly doubt that this is firmware related and also: you can ALWAYS use the original DVD in this case! Or can’t you for whatever reason…? :bigsmile:

Buy reliable DL media, means Verbatim, or buy that cheap crap and you could have bought the original twice instead… Buy cheap - pay twice at least…

And, not to forget:
There is ALWAYS the possibility that the original weren’t back up properly - you should know that and HOW you did that. :bigsmile:

@ guy_uoft,

Welcome to the Forum.

I would venture that The Dangerous Brothers 8.29 INT (Buffalo-Internal) Firmware has been used literally thousands of times to flash DVR-111 drives without ANY problems.

I would be looking in an entirely different area than The Dangerous Brothers 8.29 INT (Buffalo-Internal) Firmware as the ‘cause’ of your Xbox 360 problem.

Backing up Xbox 360 Games is way more an ‘Art’ than a ‘Science’ that has many nuances that need to be fully mastered to consistently produce quality error free results. In short your Pioneer DVR-111 with The Dangerous Brothers 8.29 INT (Buffalo-Internal) Firmware is NOT the cause of your problem.

The scope of the CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Burner Forum is not to educate on how to back up Xbox 360 Games

Suggest visiting one of the Xbox 360 Game backup Web Sites for assistance with your problem.

Regards,
bjkg