Pioneer DVR-111D Problems

[QUOTE=chef;2039056]Were it FULL formatted?[/QUOTE]
You mean the failed disk or the brand new one?
With the failed one i tried all the possible options
DVD Info Pro: Fast Format, Full Format with and without Sub options selected.
Nero: Quick Erase and Full erase
ImgBurn: Drive - Erase - Quick and Full
All failed with errors like “can’t read disk” or just close (Nero) without any errors.
As for the brand new one - no, i didn’t do anything to it. Just stuck it in the drive, read specs in DVD Info Pro and ran the tests in Nero CD Speed

[QUOTE=chef;2039101]Correct, using a Pioneer for quality scanning is futile, useless, nada sense.[/QUOTE]
Ok, now i know

So i guess the consensus is to make nice glittering coffee cup rests out of Maxells and go with proven media?

Offtopic:
I just wonder, it looks like Moore’s law does not apply to CD-DVD media : -) Otherwise, why is there just two trusted brands in the whole universe of media manufacturers.

@ RusI,

Suggest reviewing posting #15. Maxell DVD+RW (Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK 004) is exactly just like Memorex Media and is known proven poor quality problematic DVD+RW Media. Maxell DVD+RW (Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK 004) is crap garbage Media no matter if it is brand-new never been used just out of the box.

If you are not using any Packet Writing software programs why do you have to Format the DVD+RW Media? If you are “dragging & dropping” data to DVD+RW Media you are using some type of packet writing software program. Use a dedicated DVD Burning software program to recorded Data to DVD+RW Media.

Suggest using known proven quality Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media that consistently produces quality error free results.

Regards,
bjkg

Nero is kinda buggy for formatting/erasing most DVD+RW/DVD-RW media.

I’m also having problems burning with mine. I had it in an external case for a while and it would burn fine when connected with firewire and fail with USB. I now have it as an internal and it still can’t burn DVDs. Anyone know what the problem could be?

[QUOTE=xDarkMaster;2040733]I’m also having problems burning with mine. I had it in an external case for a while and it would burn fine when connected with firewire and fail with USB. I now have it as an internal and it still can’t burn DVDs. Anyone know what the problem could be?[/QUOTE]

No chance to help unless you give more info/logfile…

Mine burns every media perfectly and now that I want to try a DL for the first time it always gives me the “Power calibration” error in every program I use it (Nero 6 and 8, Alcohol 120%, DeepBurner, FinalBurner, CDBurnerXP, IMGBurn, …)

So what I’m trying to burn is a 6.32 GB iso file on a Philips DVD+R DL with no success. Any ideas?

What’s the rated speed of this Philips DVD+R DL disc?

I hate to sound cliche, but perhaps try Verbatim +R DL - usually Pioneer burn pretty much anything but it sounds like it doesn’t like that brand (or manufacturer, which I’m guessing would be CMC Magnetics or Ritek) of DL disc. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=suicider785;2045094]Mine burns every media perfectly and now that I want to try a DL for the first time it always gives me the “Power calibration” error in every program I use it (Nero 6 and 8, Alcohol 120%, DeepBurner, FinalBurner, CDBurnerXP, IMGBurn, …)

[B]So what I’m trying to burn is a 6.32 GB iso file on a Philips DVD+R DL with no success. Any ideas?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, burn it with the Tool youhave created the ISO.

And most likely that Philips DL are a complete waste, ritekd01 or ricohjpn00 MID…

It’s a 8x writing speed and doesn’t work with anything. I can make iso’s with every program but I can’t write it with any, even with the one that I created it with.

And also does it matter what brand the DL disc is, because I mean when I buy a disc of any brand whether it be Verbatim, Platinum and Philips I expect it to work. Not a guessing situation, and these DL discs are very expensive so I don’t have the money to try out every brand.

However I did read something about the burner on pioneers homepage, it says that I need a 80pin IDE cable to burn DL discs and not a 40pin. But I don’t know what type I have, I have a standard IDE cable which I received with the mobo.

@ suicider785,

It has been stated numerous times thought out the CD Freaks Pioneer DVD Burner Forum that for the current new modern Pioneer IDE Burners to function and operate correctly REQUIRES the use of an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable.

Suggest reviewing the below Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable Web Link. The Web Link has a side-by-side comparison picture of an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable and a Standard (40-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable so you will be able to compare the posted picture to the IDE cable you currently have ->

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

It has been posted numerous times through out the Forum that currently the only DL Media that consistently provides quality error free results is Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. All other DL Media is suspect and should be avoided.

Regards,
bjkg

I thought I was using a 80pin cable, but after opening my case I saw I didn’t. So I quickly replaced it with a 80pin cable and tried it again but I still have the same error.

And you suggested to visit the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum, and there someone tried the Philips DL disc and it worked great. So I’m a bit confused on what to do next, either buying other branded disc, like Platinum which is very good available, or the very expensive Verbatim (2 x the price of ordinary DL discs).

@ suicider785,

Suggest reviewing the Pioneer DVR-111D/111/A11XL Scans Thread (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-111d-111-a11xl-scans-thread-175669/) and note the Disc Quality Scan results of MKM0001 and MKM003 DL Media (The MID Code for Verbatim DL Media ) and compare those Disc Quality Scan results against other DL Media and you can clearly see the superior performance of MKM0001 and MKM003 DL Media (The MID Code for Verbatim DL Media) compared to other DL Media.

As previously stated it has been posted numerous times through out the Forum that currently the only DL Media that consistently provides quality error free results is Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. All other DL Media is suspect and should be avoided. The Disc Quality Scan results of MKM0001 and MKM003 DL Media (The MID Code for Verbatim DL Media) posted in the Pioneer DVR-111D/111/A11XL Scans Thread (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-111d-111-a11xl-scans-thread-175669/) fully supports this statement.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=suicider785;2046068]I thought I was using a 80pin cable, but after opening my case I saw I didn’t. So I quickly replaced it with a 80pin cable and tried it again but I still have the same error.

And you suggested to visit the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum, and there someone tried the Philips DL disc and it worked great. So I’m a bit confused on what to do next, either buying other branded disc, like Platinum which is very good available, or the very expensive Verbatim (2 x the price of ordinary DL discs).[/QUOTE]

There are no “80pin” cables, they are all 40pin! 80 wire is the way you should go with ide cables!

Hi, I tried it With a Verbatim DVD+R DL 8X disc and it works very good. Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

Here is the Nero disc info screen:

Are you sure you are uing a 80 wire cable???
if you are getting a power calibration error then you are still usung a 40 wire!! you have to CHANGE IT!!

Yes I was using a 40 wire at first, but then I switched it for a 80 wire and I still got the problem. So after using the Verbatim disc the problem was solved.