Pioneer DVR-111D Help

Hi, I currently have a 111D with firmware 8.29. I want to get the best firmware out for this drive that is out now (I think people are recemmonding the crossover to 111A or something then to 8.26?) Im not sure. The reason I want to upgrade/crossover firmwares is because I have been getting ring burns on the bottom of the disc.

So what is the best firmware to have and how can I get it? Im really confused on the process of crossover flashing and dont want to ruin my drive, any help is appreciated.

burning_sensation -

There isn’t much difference between a DVR-111D 8.29 and a DVD-111L 8.29 performance. I would suspect the cause of the “ring burns on the bottom of the disc” is caused by your choice of blank DVD Media. The problem you are reporting is usually caused by the use of cheap poor quality blank DVD Media and not usually related to Firmware.

Suggest obtaining known high quality blank DVD Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (Made In Japan) Media.

If you are interested in Cross flashing your DVR-111D to DVR-111L suggest viewing the below Forum thread. This thread is rather long but suggest reviewing in its entirety to fully under exactly what is involved. Don’t just jump into the middle because if procedures are not followed correctly you could end up damaging your drive. ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=176551

BeLooken

you know what I think it is? I heard and read somewhere that the 111d has some sort of lead in writing thing, so maybe that is what the “ring” is. It is on every media I have, not just one. Discs work perfect, but i guess pioneer has a different lead in strategy? Im burning 8x dvd-r by the way.

burning_sensation -

I have a Pioneer DVR-111D and using TDB v8.29 Firmware crossed flashed to DVR-111L. Using AnyDVD/CloneDVD with Taiyo Yuden TYG02 DVD-R media have burned numerous (over 75) DVD backup copies and NONE of my backup copies have any “ring burns on the bottom of the disc”.

Suggest using Nero CD-DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_4700.zip) and perform a Disc Quality scan on your burned media to in fact ensure that you burns are quality error free burns. Just because a burned DVD appears to play correctly in any particular DVD device is not a true indicator that the burn was a quality error free burn. The true indicator is using a diagnostic software program similar to Nero CD-DVD Speed. If you are unaware of how to conduct this test review the Nero CD-DVD Speed User Guide ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=192563

As stated in my above #2 posting I would suspect the cause of the “ring burns on the bottom of the disc” is caused by your choice of blank DVD Media. The problem you are reporting is usually caused by the use of cheap poor quality blank DVD Media and not usually related to Firmware. Using the above suggested Nero CD-DVD Speed software post the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the DVD Media that has these “ring burns on the bottom of the disc”. Providing the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the DVD Media that has these “ring burns on the bottom of the disc” will reveal if the particular blank media you are using is in fact proven quality DVD Media.

BeLooken

I was able to get rings one time when I burned a TY +R 8x media on my 111L at 12X by mistake. Possibly you are burning at MAX settings?

It depends on the media chosen and the write-strategy used, such as CLV, ZCLV, CAV or PCAV.

Heres a pic of the test results. 97% seems good?

The program i am using is nero 6.6, and this burn was directly from the hard drive. maybe I should try a different burning program? any suggestions?

Also, I am using 8x dvd-r media and I am burning at strictly 8x, so im not ‘overclocking’ it, I dont think.

You can be happy with it, especially because you have used shrubby G05 media…

burning_sensation -

As I suspected in my original #2 posting reply comments ->

“”I would suspect the cause of the “ring burns on the bottom of the disc” is caused by your choice of blank DVD Media. The problem you are reporting is usually caused by the use of cheap poor quality blank DVD Media and not usually related to Firmware.””

As Forum Member chef comments RitekG05 media is known as suspect DVD Media and should be avoided. Today your Quality Scan “appears acceptable” but knowledgeable informed users know that RitekG05 media is highly suspect and subject to DVD ROT reflectivity deterioration. In a short period of time your RitekG05 media will begin to deteriorate and become unreadable. Also RitekG05 media is known to have wide quality control variances concerns.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) and research on known proven high quality blank DVD Media. For quality error free burning results suggest acquiring Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (Made In Japan) blank DVD media. Rima.Com (http://rima.com) is a proven reliable source of Taiyo Yuden media.

Belooken

The Pioneer 111D has the funny clv zone while burning like the first 10% of the DVD. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I find significant banding with poor media and they usually have worse scans than burns without banding.

Even good media may have some minor banding and gradient banding, but when I scan them, I find them no worse off with discs with no apparent banding.

I use imgburn and burnatonce for burning. I don’t know if this a placebo effect, but I find my burn quality slightly better with these programs compared to nero 6.

Yeah I was reading something about that, as your right, on every single disc i burn, approx. the first 10% of the disc has a ‘darker’ burn than the rest. At first I thought it was just random, but after a few more I started not to worry as it looked normal.

Also, I have always been under the impression that Ritek media has always been good media? Heck, they are more expensive than branded media you can buy from best buy, etc…

burning_sensation -

In my reference to the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) I have provided a link that provides detailed information on blank DVD Media. If you review this reference you will find that in fact however much money you pay for your RITEKG05 media it is highly suspect problematic media and subject to DVD ROT reflectivity deterioration.

As I have stated I have burned close to 100 DVDs and absolutely NONE of my Taiyo Yuden TYG02 DVD-R media have “ring burns on the bottom of the disc”. Suggest that you closely note Forum Member pedxingx quoted statement ->

If you desire quality error free Burning results use proven quality Media and you will not have any “ring burns on the bottom of the disc” problems. If you desire to purchase your DVD Media from Best Buy suggest Verbatim DVD Media that clearly states ‘Made In Japan’ on the package. If you desire to purchase DVD Media on line suggest visiting Rima.Com (http://rima.com) and look for Taiyo Yuden media. In many circles Taiyo Yuden media is considered top of the line high quality media.

BeLooken

That depends. Some Ritek branded media that shows a RicohJpn MID is pretty good. I’m going through the process of scanning older DVDs now to see what’s still good and what isn’t. Not even one Ritek MID disc more than a year old has been a keeper yet. But most of the RicohJpn discs have still been good, even those more than two years old.

Just an update… I crossflashed my 111D to 111L and also switched media types… The MID on these discs are ProDisc, and they have been burning without ring burns ever since! I will stick with these, and the quality score I am getting with the cd-dvd tests are always 97%+.

Just thought I would update you guys. :cool: