PIONEER DVR-111D difficulties

Hi again! post number 2…
It occurred to me that this is where I should have posted my question…apologies for the duplication if you’ve read this already.

Hi all. This is my first post. I am newb-fresh.

I have just purchased a black Pioneer dvr-111d dual layer capable dvd burner. I was hoping for a significant upgrade from my old super slow NEC +R only DVD burner that I have had for just on 3 years.

It is installed on the same 80pin cable that the old NEC burner was installed on. Jumper setting is cable select I believe (same as the NEC burner setting). It plays CDs and DVDs. But burning? No good. I have made about a dozen coasters today and frankly I’m more than a little cheesed off!

It has current firmware v1.29.

I use nero (v6.x) and dvd shrink (v3.2) successfully with the old burner but i have no luck with the new one. The drive is physically burning the disc but it never finishes a burn successfully. Re-inserting disc returns a “D:\ ACCESS IS DENIED” message. I read the review on here on this drive and thought I’d try some of the nero tests e.g. the Nero CD-DVD Speed test.

During the running of the Nero CD-DVD Speed test I get this message: “ERROR! L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR (031105)”

Is this serious?

Please help.

Happy and willing to follow any advice…

Thank you
Reece

Welcome to the forum. What is the media ID of the discs you are using. Also, I would get the trial of CloneDVD from slysoft and eliminate any software problem.

It sounds like a media problem but the NEC should have shown some problems as well.

Hi Chas thanks for the reply and sorry for the duplication - it won’t happen again.

I have tried el-cheapo DVD+Rs 1x-4x as well as verbatim +R 1x-4x. The old NEC had no problems burning either (although I did run into probs when trying to recopy the copies).

Will d/l cloneDVD as you suggest and report back.

Also use DVDSpeed and get us the media ID. “Cheepo” doesn’t help and Verbatim doesn’t make their discs, the made in India can be a problem.

What media do you recommend for (a) DVD video stuff and (b) data only

My Pioneer 111L works like a charm on almost any good media. The best are TY YUDEN000 T02 +R 8X and Verbatim MCC 004 16X +R. Any of the 16X Verbatim, not made in India, are OK but for the Pioneer the MCC 004 made by CMC for verbatim are best.

I prefer the Buffalo firmware from here:http://tdb.rpc1.org/

If you want to use it read up on crossflashing. You would go to 8.19 first and then 8.26. This is not your problem, however.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R
Book Type : DVD+R
Manufacturer: : unknown
MID : 001 (000)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 4 X
Blank Capacity : n/a
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Write strategies : 4 X
Disc Status : Closed

Is this the right info?

dont know what to tell you, get clonedvd, its worth it. my pioneer 111D works great, never failed once. maybe its a defect?

I would try better media or try burning the cheap media at a slower speed.

Hi ReeceZ, welcome to the forum. That is rather ancient media you have! Why not head down to Capitol Square and pick up a Verbatim 16x +R spindle for $33 or thereabouts and try them out?

I have the Pioneer DVR-111D, currently cross-flashed to 111L, and works flawlessly – very low jitter and error rates!

alexanderino…
do we have a capitol square in sydney?? where?

I just bought some sony -r’s to have a play with…

001 is terrible media.

And the 111 wants to be jumpered as master, not cable select!

I have one on one computer as master and on another as cable select and they both work fine. I think it has to do with the computer more than anything else as for as master or cable select.

Cable select is only properly relevant if you have 80-wire connectors, and under these circumstances, the priority depends on the position of the drive on the cable.

Since ReeceZ has 80-wire connectors and both drives jumpered to cable select, the Pio had better be on the end of the cable for it to be recognised as ‘master’ (essentially what chef is saying).

ReeceZ dont waste your time with cable select use either master or slave…

Better media maybe but slower how slow do you want him to go he is using 4x media already…
Best bet is to try quality media and if it works then he can maybe get off with a bit cheaper but in all honesty quality media is what you should stick with…

Thanks everyone for your feedback - I’m really pleased to be a part of this most useful, friendly and informative forum.

The new drive is reading dvd media really well. Next I will do some test burns on the sony -r media that I just purchased and post the results.

Thanks again.

Reece

Here is a disc quality test I just performed - is this good bad or indifferent?

General Information
Drive: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
Firmware: 1.29
Disc: DVD-R (SONY16D1)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 90
Average: 10.90
Total: 3619
PI failures
Maximum: 1
Average: 0.10
Total: 25
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 0:42
Number of samples: 420
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

And the disc info for this media I just bought…opinions?

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : unknown
MID : SONY16D1
Write speeds: : 4 X - 6 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4489 MB
: 4707319808 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information : recorded with PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
Disc Status : Closed

Looks basically pretty good but we really need to see the graphs - that way the distribution of these errors can be assessed.

Click the floppy disk icon at the top of the CD-DVD Speed window, save as a PNG file and then attach it to your post.