Pioneer DVR-111D &112D issue(s)

vbimport

Hi there all,

I am hoping I can explain this well enough for you guys to be able to help find a solution to this, as it has stumped me completely.

I have 2 systems, one with a DVR-111D and the other with the 112D. I have been writing and burining and copying onto various TDK DVD+ and - R/RWs for some time.

Recently however, I have burned from a friends laptop with imgburn onto a TDK DVD+R disk a bunch of pictures that I wanted to transfer onto the DVR-111D system. The DVR-111D will not read the burnt disk. I have tried in imgburn (my preferred burning software) and Nero CD/DVD Speed. Neither can see anything on the disk.

This has promted me to start looking at other disks I have made to see whether it was a localised problem with this one disk. Well it wont read quite a few of them. Windows just sees it as a “blank CD media”. This makes me think… Hmmmm…!?

So I attempt to look at some of the disks on the 112D (which I burnt with the 112D!) and it does the exact same thing. Now, imgburn can read (with the 112D) the img file on the disks and can burn it off into an img file with all the disks apart from the DVD+R with the pictures on it. However Windows still can not read them.

Now I personally think I am missing something… obviously something important! The number around the spindle on the TDK DVD+R disk with the photos on it is ‘7222 301 +R ED 03396’ if that helps any. Using the latest firmware on both drives, and latest version of imgburn. The disks verify perfectly in imgburn as well once burned.

Hope you guys can help or suggest what I am doing wrong!

@ Madoron,

Welcome to the Forum.

Not all TDK Branded Media is actually manufactured by TDK (Tokyo Denki Kagaku). The manufacturing of some TDK Branded Media is sub contracted out to various manufactures and unfortunately the quality of some TDK Branded Media can be suspect problematic Media.

Media is definitively identified by the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example; TYG02). Suggest using a software utility similar to DVD Info (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) and provide the Media MID of the DVDs you are experiencing difficulties with.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the reply!

Sadly the DVR-111D does not seem to have the ability to read the disk’s MID. Ill try on the 112D soon as I am near it again.

Any other suggestions? Or are you pretty sure that is the only reason?

Thanks again.

@ Madoron,

The Pioneer DVR-111D HAS to be able to read Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) information of the Disk inserted into the Drive. The Pioneer DVR-111D (or any other DVD devices) to function correctly has to be able to read Media MID information in order for the device to correctly recognize what particular Media is inserted into the Drive.

If you are using DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) insert the particular DVD Media into the Pioneer DVR-111D and wait a few seconds then start the DVDInfo software program and on the top Menu Bar of DVDInfo click on the “Info” Icon located on the very far left of the top Menu Bar. The “Media Information” page then appears and on the “Media Information” page the “Media Code/Manufacture ID” (Media MID) information is displayed along with other Media Disk information. Provide the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example; TYG02) of the DVDs you are experiencing difficulties with.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks bjkg,

Loaded it up again this morning with a different disk and tried it and it worked. Strange!

Ok, they are MBIPG101 R05s. I am just attempting to do a search on these forums to try and identify what these disks are.

Ok, so these disks are manufactured by Moser Baer India, under the MID of MBIPG101 R05 - but there does not appear to be a post stating how good/bad these are from a pioneer burner perspective… Unless I have missed it!

What do you (all?) think?

Sorry, just saw on another thread that you guys often prefer the detail held in this:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MBIPG101-R05-001]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Moser Baer India Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MBIPG101]
Media Type ID : [R05]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I am trying to do a test in Nero CD/DVD speed on the disk now, but it has come up with a SCSI Status 1 Error…

Ok, this is becomming entirely frustrating.

On a significant number of disks that I have burned over the years, on both the machines that I am burning on, the disks that I have burned do not read.

I can even see that there is data in imgburn, rip it off into an iso file, then burn it back on, and windows STILL can not read it. This makes no sense to me, and it is to be honest making me wish I had never bothered with blank CD/DVD media at this rate.

From recommends on this site I purchased both the DVR-111D and the 112D; I also purchased TDK media as that seemed to get fairly good reviews from people here. Now I can burn as often as I like and can not read the burns!

Anyone have any idea at all as to why?

[QUOTE=Madoron;2115971]Ok, this is becomming entirely frustrating.

On a significant number of disks that I have burned over the years, on both the machines [B]that I am burning on, the disks that I have burned do not read.[/B]

I can even see that there is data in imgburn, rip it off into an iso file, then burn it back on, and windows STILL can not read it. This makes no sense to me, and it is to be honest making me wish I had never bothered with blank CD/DVD media at this rate.

From recommends on this site I purchased both the DVR-111D and the 112D; I also purchased [B]TDK media[/B] as that seemed to get fairly good reviews from people here. Now I can burn as often as I like and can not read the burns!

Anyone have any idea at all as to why?[/QUOTE]

You have burned those discs with the 111 & 112?
Which exact media / MID did you use?
TDK is/was a bad choice.

Hi there chef,

The MID on the DVD+Rs is the MBIPG101-R05 as shown above. I do not have a DVD±RW to hand ATM to find out the MID, but will do so as soon as I am back home.

Thanks for the reply; I am beginning to see that TDK does not appear to be as good a choice as I had understood it to be.

sigh

@ Madoron,

Unfortunately TDK Branded Media is not noted to be reliable quality error free Media. I don’t know what reviews you viewed stating that TDK Branded Media was “Fairy Good” but TDK Branded Media is in fact suspect problematic Media and knowledgeable informed users avoid TDK Branded Media.

MID MBIPG101 R05 Media no matter what Brand Name is stamped on the package is suspect problematic Media. An example supporting this fact is the below CD Freaks Forum posting ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/imation-16x-dvd-r-mbipg101-r05-208560/index2.html

The problem you are experiencing with your MID MBIPG101 R05 Media is a typical classic problem when poor quality unreliable problematic media is used. When using poor quality unreliable problematic media over time the Disk Quality deteriorates to state that recorded data becomes unretrievable. This deterioration is generally referred to as “DVD Rot”.

Don’t blame your Pioneer DVR-111D/DVR-112D Drives for your problem with your TDK Branded MID MBIPG101 R05 Media. Your problem solely lies with the unreliable poor quality problematic MID MBIPG101 R05 Media and not your Pioneer DVR-111D/DVR-112D Drives.

In an effort to retrieve your recorded data your might try using a Lite-On SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROM, Lite-On SOHD-167T DVD-ROM, or similar Drive that are noted for there ability to read troublesome DVD Disks. Even with attempting to use a Drive that has excellent ability to read troublesome DVD Disks you still might not be able to retrieve your recorded data.

Purhaps “ISO Puzzle” might be useful in your attempt to retrieve Data from your MID MBIPG101 R05 Media Disk ->

Concerning you Nero CD DVD Speed “problem” suggest noting the comments concerning “ASPI” on the below Nero CD DVD Speed Web Link ->

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html

“Force ASPI” also works with Nero CD DVD Speed ->

http://www.radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

In the future suggest using known proven quality error free Media that has a proven track record of consistently producing quality error free results such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media to record your data.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks bjkg,

Appreciate your post there. I am trying to work out which posts I read that suggested TDK, but it was such a long time ago that I can no longer find them.

Seems Verbatim get lauded the most atm; You do not happen to know if they are ok to use on Pioneer drives do you?

Appreciate your help again; looks like I am going to have to try and get the data off these disks ASAP (if I can!).

Yes they are OK to use with a Pioneer burner or else any other burner as they are top quality media and thats the only media I use (Verbatim)

@ Madoron,

If you are USofA suggest Taiyo Yuden Media from Rima.Com (http://rima.com). In many circles Taiyo Yuden Media is considered the best top of the line quality error free Media available. Other than using Verbatim DL MKM0001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media I exclusively use Taiyo Yuden Media from Rima.Com in my Pioneer DVD Burners. The Pioneer DVD Burners produces excellent results with Taiyo Yuden Media and/or Verbatim Media. Sticking with either Taiyo Yuden Media and/or Verbatim Media in a Pioneer DVD Burner you can’t go wrong.

Regards,
bjkg

Many thanks to both of you;

I live in the UK: there is a website here that sells the full range of verbatim disks, but how do I know whether they are the ones you specify or another?

The website is www.dvdshoponline.co.uk.

Again help is much appreciated! I just hope your earlier advise can help me retreive any potentially lost data.

Thanks agian.

@ Madoron,

The particular Web Site that you reference in posting #15 lists the Media MID as “Disc Lead in Info”.

For Taiyo Yuden Media ->
DVD-R TYG03
DVD-R TYG02
DVD+R YUDEN000 T03
DVD+R YUDEN000 T02
http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html

For Verbatim DVD+R Double Layer Media ->
DVD+R DL MKM003
DVD+R DL MKM001
http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Verbatim.html

Regards,
bjkg