Pioneer DVR-110D Problem - Help!

Intel 945PSN, 2x512 Ram (Dual), P4, main board, Win XP-Pro with SP2.

I have my own legal copy of XP-Pro, however when my local computer store put my current box together they loaded XP-Pro onto the new HDD, all I had to do was use the Validation Key from my own copy when I switched on for the first time early February 2006.

PROBLEM – Something has happened, the Pioneer DVR- 110D DVD-CD is not visible when I look in START > MY COMPUTER and doesn’t show up as a drive in Windows Explorer, however it will still boot into Windows from the DVD-CD.

When I go to CONTROL PANEL >SYSTEM > HARDWARE>DEVICE MANAGER the ! is next to the DVD-CD, if I delete it and reboot it does the same, it seems that the driver is CORRUPTED.

If I try to update the driver from the XP-Pro CD I get the message that a better driver can’t be found.

QUESTION – What can I do to fix this?

Remembering that the copy/version of XP-Pro on the computer was installed by the people who put the box together and may be slightly different to my legal one (See first paragraph).

a. Can I get a replacement driver? From Where?
b. Can I reinstall XP-Pro over the top?
c. Can I use the REPAIR facility in XP-Pro?

If REPAIR is the best option what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

No…don’t do any of this. Just open the case of your pc after switching off the AC power. Prise-off the two cables you can see on the back of the drive, first noting how they were originally connected (color/location). Now boot the pc with the drive disconnected. Power off, re-connect the drive, then re-boot. XP should pick up the drive correctly. If it doesn’t you may need to download a firmware update…try here:
http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html

Yup, check the connections first and try the drive in another computer if you can.

I’m sorry to say that I was unable to resolve the problem - tried to do a XP-Pro repair and it faild so had to do an install over the top - everything working OK now I posted in a couple of different forums but none of the offered solutions worked, I think it was because the driver is in XP-Pro - I wasn’t able to obtain a separate driver from the web

Thanks for your time and input :bow: :bow:

Bill…what you did wasn’t necessary…trust me, please. If you had followed the steps in my previous post all would have been well. This wasn’t a driver problem, rather that XP had “lost” the drive because someone had obviously fiddled with the IDE connector. If you had followed the steps I had outlined and, at worst, been forced to update the firmware, all would have been okay.
All is not lost…have another go. If you’re not confident about opening the case, print out my post and take it to the shop that did the upgrade and get them to do the job…it will take them all of 10 minutes, tops.

Hi Stroppy

Nope I checked the cables as you said.

No one had fiddled with the IDE connector and they were not loose, covers had never been off the box and I’m the only one that would open the box and fiddle (No kids at home) I then followed your instructions to the letter as the first fix option because there couldn’t do any harm to the system, but didn’t work, when the system was rebooted the second time with the cables back on the problem was still there, I spent hours over the Easter weekend, posted on a couple of forums, eventually used up all the suggestions and went for the Repair.

Thanks again.

Okay…try taking the drive out of the case, after first noting where the cables go, color combinations, etc… and then take the drive to the shop for them to test. If the drive is okay, then take your PC back to the guys that did the upgrade and howl long and hard about supplementary damage! If you’re in Europe, the U.S., Canada, Old Blighty or Australia (where I am) you are protected by Consumer law that states that a repair that causes a secondary fault must be rectified by the repairer.

G’day Stroppy

No need to return drive to store, I’m in Oz too so I am aware of consumer laws but problem eventually resolved with re-install of XP-Pro.

See copy below of my earlier first post of this evening.

I’m sorry to say that I was unable to resolve the problem - tried to do a XP-Pro repair and it faild so had
to do an install over the top - everything working OK now I posted in a couple of different forums but
none of the offered solutions worked, I think it was because the driver is in XP-Pro - I wasn’t able to
obtain a separate driver from the web.

Thanks again.

By the way, is the 110 connected using an 80 conductor cable and running in UDMA4 mode??

Hi Chef

CABLE: I will check the cable - didn’t take a lot of notice but iat the time t seemed to be similar type to the normal data cable.

UDMA4 mode: Not sure - How do I check the mode?

The drive/DMA info should be displayed when the computer starts.
At the POST - Power ON Self Test.

Also, go into devicemanager and check the IDE channel properties.