Pioneer DVR-110D not Reading/Writing

Hi Everyone,
In anticipation, thanks for the help! I can’t seem to resolve this problem after searching this forum and cyberspace. I bought a Pioneer DVR-110D about 6 months back and used it only for reading/writing CDs. The drive reads and writes CDs just fine. However, a few days back I found out that I cannot write to the Pioneer DVR-110D. I then upgraded from FW 1.98 to FW 1.39. Nero Lite (v7.8.5.0) continues to recognize the drive but when I try to simulate a burn a progress bar starts with the message “waiting for disc drive…”, then completes with “The Drive is not initializing! perhaps due to a defective disc”. NeroInfoTool shows “no disc inserted” and except for DVD-RAM, all the other DVD write formats are recognized (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL). I also tested the drive using the application Power2go but upon simulating a burn, there is a timeout with the message “This drive does not support this disc type, please insert CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, into this drive”. I am using a blank Sony DVD media labeled DVD-R and suspect that for some reason both applications, Nero and Power2go, believe that a DVD-RAM media is inserted. My system is Windows/XP SP2.
Any help in clearing up this confusion is appreciated!

???

A 110[B]D[/B] cannot write to a DVD-RAM.
1110 burners can.

Chef, thanks for the reply.
Are you suggesting that the 110D sees a DVD-R media as a DVD-RAM? I thought that DVD-R is a different animal to DVD-RAM. I am aware that a 110D cannot write to a DVD-RAM (mentioned in the original post).
Thanks,

Nope, a DVD-R should be seen as DVD-R of course but if you use “explorer” then you will get some stupid media identifications and drive IDs too, eg. “CD-drive” instead of “DVD-RAM drive”.

Mostly various installed softwares generate weird erros.

You may delete the upper & lower filters (see my sig) and then restart.