Pioneer DVR-109XLA rubbish drive compaired to my pionner 107D

vbimport

well bought a pioneer 109xla and updates the firmware from 1.40 to 1.50 and wrote my first disk to a ritek g5 at 4x and guess what the dvds dont play properly thay jump thay go blocky and skip and stop in my sony 7700 dvd player but in my panasonic e55 recorder thay play perfect

but if i write the same film but with my pioneer 107d the films play perfect on both dvd players

so the 109 drive can not have better write than my 107d as when i write dvd with my 107d thay work on both my dvd players but write it with the 109 and it plays only on one of the player and not the other so i would say how can the 109 be better than my 107d when i can play them on both players when i have used my 107

oh also my friend has a pionner 108 and his disks work perfectly in my player to and i used to have a 105 which thay worked to so theres somthing up with the 109 i think i will be returning the drvie as its not very good at writing
dvds compaired to my 107d drive just hope thay do a better job next time

Hi,

G05 written on my own 109 play fine everywhere. But I only use fully branded Ritek medias (Ridisc, Traxdata, Ridata).

What I personnaly find strange is that you to jump to conclusions after having written only ONE media with the 109… after all, some Ritek made discs, mainly unbranded ones or Arita branded ones, are well-known to vary greatly in quality.

The 109 has been thoroughly tested by many, and it seems that it’s among the very best in DVD-writing quality…

If I were you, I’d burn some more medias before accusing the 109 to achieve poor burns. If the 109 is indeed being questioned by many, it’s never because of its DVD writing quality…

Cheers :slight_smile:

so why do`s the 107d write at them perfectly then and work on all , i tried 2 dvds which i used the 109 wrote on them and tried 4 dvd players played on 3 them and 1 it did not play I then did the same on my old 107d and all 4 dvd worked. on the players

just to make sure i aked my friend to write on his 108 and thay worked on all players

I used the same blanks disks on all writer also I have been using them for the last year with no problems on my 107 and my friends 108 and 105 drives but soon as i tried it in my 109 it had problems ??? so how can that be

also there have been many people say the 109 drive is not up to much and thya have had problems with the drive and alot of people went back to there older drives or bought a new nec drive or benq drives

Use good media… I’ve yet to have a disc not play written by my Pioneer DVR-109. I don’t know if it’s upto par with my DVR-108 when I had it, but it sure is close from my usage. It’s also writing as well as my BenQ DW1620, so I would say the 109 is a pretty good drive…

i have a 109xl, 108xl, 107d
109xl rules the dvd burning Universe

Thanks for the help people just changed my mind

OK keeping the 109xl now as well as my 107d my friend wants my reader so once i have sold that to him the 109 has cost me £25, The reader was an old pioneer slot drive it was good in its day but ripping at 5 is not very good now. ripping at 12x with the 109 nice

I read on here that many dvds that have been wrote with the 109 dont like very old dvd players my sony 7700 is 7 years old just tried it in a new sony dvd player my friend has and works great.

BUT how do 107 dvds work in my old sony 7700 and not when i write it with the 109 drive i have had no porblems with the dvd blanks that i use on the 107 but when i use the same blanks on the 109 thay dont work in that player what do you think it is and why and do you think there is a soloution to the problem what do you all think i should do to make dvds work on my old dvd player with the 109

this is just a strange problem thats all just strange that an older drive can write a dvd and play back on my dvd player no problems but the 109 cant ??? help ??? lol

thansk to all who help

From what I’ve been hearing the 109 isn’t too fond of Ritek media. I’m using Taiyo Yudens and they playback fine on ancient equipment so far. I must say that from all I’ve heard the 108 was a superior drive though. The 109 is a whole new monster and it’ll take some time to iron out the wrinkles I suppose.

is there any other cheaper media i can use i have read some people use ritek g5 and thay are good strange but i had no problems with them on my 107 why on the 109

One other thing I have seen and confirmed is that Ritek G05s do better at 8X than at 4X. The best media I have found for Pioneer 109 is Verbatim MCC 003 (see my scans). The others I tested were not up to my standards, but still acceptable.

As Chas suggests (and Im’ enclined from reading a lot of his posts that the guy really knows what he’s talking about :iagree: ), you could consider writing G05 at 8x. That’s what I do. Never tried at 4x.

As for “cheap” media, my 109 really likes the Ridisc 4x purple (G04) that are very cheap when bought online. I use them for all my recreative video puposes (movies…). I maybe had 2 bad discs out of 100, which is fine considering the price. To be sure of what you buy, you must find a store selling them in 10 discs spindles, not in 50 discs spindles. Trust me on this one :wink:

Needless to say, for really important data, I turn to the more expensive Verbatims and TY. Not because they burn better in the 109, but because serious testing (laboratory artificial aging from heating and humidity) has shown their superior lifespan. I particularly like the MCC02RG20 (Datalife+ 8x), but these actually burn better @4x than @8x on my 109.

The only medias my 109 has “rejected” as yet were el-cheapo no-name medias bought in megastores… and, I must confess, several unbranded Ritek G05… :frowning: that’s why with Ritek I go only for Traxdata, Ridata and Ridisc (though I never actually tried the Ridisc Xtremes and some users have complaints about these).

I agree 100% with Franksoy,

Media are the most important thing for a quality burn, people try to pay their media the least and expect the most, as for the way the bulk cd are sold does matter since cheap media tend to be packed in cheap and big bundle.

I see a lot of ATIP beign posted but my guess is that quite a lot of those are from bundled disk not genuine boxed disk. If you do some serious elimination you can use lower priced disk and still get good result as long as you can secure yourself with the same source…

So far the only real bug of the 109 seem to be some CD-R burning, and as far as I am concerned again if you need perfect cd-r burn get a cd-r burner!

Francksoy, you are too kind. Thanks.

You’re welcome Chas :slight_smile:
I don’t post a lot but I do read a lot, and many of your posts here (and in other forums as well I think) have really helped me…

P00r’s point about media conditioning is an important one that is often overlooked: the more discs are packed together, the more risks of damage from transportation. I try to avoid buying spindles of more than 25 discs, and stay away from “wrapped together” packs of any kind. I learned this the hard way the first time I ordered a 100 Taiyo Yuden discs spindle and ended with half of them unusable…! :a

About the Ridiscs, though, it’s not the reason why I said one should buy them in 10-discs spindles, actually it’s because there has been many complaints about mixed batches in the 50-discs spindles, including different mediacodes (G04, G05, M02). As to why, go figure :rolleyes:

But I’m starting to be off-topic :o

Cheers

Ok thanks for all the help m8s going to try and write the g5 at 8x speed to see what happens on my sony 7700 dvd palyer as thay are 8x dvds but thay never worked very good at 8x speed in the 107D but at 4x thay where exellent this is why i tried it at 4x on the 109 but like you say i might get a better burn @ 8x on the 109 but i will try and let you all know.

I am suprised you siad " I particularly like the MCC02RG20 (Datalife+ 8x), but these actually burn better @4x than @8x on my 109." mmmm how do thay burn better at slower speeds ??? asi was toled burning the ritek g5 at 8x should be better than 4x
your going the other way to ???

so these dyes would be best (MCC 03ORG20 = x16 speed will you get the best at 16x on these dvds or should i use a slower speed) (TYG02 = x8 speed will you get the best at 8x on these dvds or should i use a slower speed) or (MCC02RG20 = x8 speed will you get the best at 8x on these dvds or should i use a slower speed as said before someone said thay got better burns at 4x on these dvds ???)

which dye is the best between MCC 03ORG20 & TYG02 or MCC02RG20 on the 109 or 107.

can you check the quality of the dvds with the pionner drives with software is so can you help me

i can get verbs and Datawrite Titanium that use the same dye the mcc from here
http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/dvd-rprint.html would thay be just as good do you think ???

thanks for all the help as i am now getting to teh point of sorting this i will let you know what happens with the g5 8x speed

thanks once more all see ya soon

What kind of problems does the 109 have with CD-R? I’ve never had any issues with CD-R on it. Now I’v had numerous issues with 16x CAV media. I’m using TYG03 Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R and get lockups frequently near the end of the burn (regardless of speed). I’ve heard reports of this on other 16x media as well. It’s evidently something with the burner or firmware causing it. But this is the first I’ve heard of problems burning CDs.

asi was toled burning the ritek g5 at 8x should be better than 4x
your going the other way to ???

Different medias react differently. There is no absolute rule.

which dye is the best between MCC 03ORG20 & TYG02 or MCC02RG20 on the 109 or 107.

Mediacode is NOT the dye. Please read OCFreak’s media FAQ in the media section of the forum.
The best burning results are from TYG02 on the 109. But the Verbatims are much less expensive than the TY and I think the difference in price is difficult to justify, unless you want to store data for more than 80 years… or unless money is not a problem for you and you just want the best.

i can get verbs and Datawrite Titanium that use the same dye the mcc from here

The Datawrite Titaniums seem fine, but there has been trouble reported from several users. To be sure, I’d go for the Verbatims. Just my opinion.

Please visit the media section, there are plenty of useful infos there :bigsmile:

Cheers :slight_smile:

Burn Ritek G05 media at 6X, it uses the same strategy as the first 10 % of 8X burning. Thus you can eliminate the risk of a zone change and the higher speed burning.
Stay away from any kind of Ridisc. If you stick to Ritek, use PrimeDisc, Ridata and Traxdata.
Memorex or yellow Datawrite seem to be a good budget choice.

well i tried writing the film on a ritek g5 at 8x on the 109 and guess what it bloody film worked i can not beleave it played on my sony dvd player.

SO Ritek g5 x8 speed dvds on

107 @ 4x works on all players but 50 50 if i write them at 8x hit and miss
109 @ 4x works on some and not on others but abit flaky on playback but @ x8 write it works on all no peoblems

its strange why the 107 wount write them at 8x at good quality but is ok at 4x and the 109 writes them at 4x bad and 8x perfect staneg can not under stand why ???

oh i use riteks own brand dvds to, is there a way i can test the quality of the burns i wnat to see what is better the 107 4x or the 109 8x i only have these drives in my computer ??

right got that out the way

so is i want the best 16x dvd blanks its the

Verbatims which use the MCC 03RG20 dye or
TYG03 dye
even if other brands use the same dye but why get these if people have reported problems with these at 16x ??

what about 8x
Verbatims which use the MCC 02RG20 dye
or the TYG02 dye
even if other brands use the same dye but why get these if people have reported problems with these at 8x ??

or any other manufacture can you help thanks
and thasnk for all the help

I guess that both are OK at 6X speed, though I sold my A07XLB almost a year ago.
Writers use different burning strategies (laser power, focusing, etc.) for different speeds. That’s why you experience different results. DVR-107 has a better strategy with 4X speed, DVR-109 with 6-8X speed. It’s this simple.

oh i use riteks own brand dvds to, is there a way i can test the quality of the burns i wnat to see what is better the 107 4x or the 109 8x i only have these drives in my computer ??

You can use DVDInfo Pro with the DVR-107 for PI/PO testing. It’s OK for comparison between the quality of the two drives.

BTW I have very good results with Verbatim 16X -R discs (MCC03 RG20) at 16X speed with the 109.

[QUOTE=Meridius]well i tried writing the film on a ritek g5 at 8x on the 109 and guess what it bloody film worked i can not beleave it played on my sony dvd player.

SO Ritek g5 x8 speed dvds on

107 @ 4x works on all players but 50 50 if i write them at 8x hit and miss
109 @ 4x works on some and not on others but abit flaky on playback but @ x8 write it works on all no peoblems

its strange why the 107 wount write them at 8x at good quality but is ok at 4x and the 109 writes them at 4x bad and 8x perfect staneg can not under stand why ???

Different makes and models of drives, have varying hardware and firmware. The firmware tells the drive what strategy to burn what media at. This varies quite a bit from drive to drive, hence, the difference in quality from the same media, at different burn speeds, on different burners. But all burners seem to be pretty close when it comes to the high quality media. That is why most of us recommend using the high quality media. Yet I can get really good burns using ritek g03’s on my Nec3500 and Pioneer A07xl. But they don’t work worth a crap in my benq1620 or my Plextor. Maybe future firmware revisions will change that, but for now, I just use high quality media all of the time, in all of my drives.