Pioneer DVR-109 and Ricoh DVD+R DL

vbimport

Hello,
I have got a Pioneer DVR-109 XLB FW 1.50.

I got twice (1. DVD Decrypter 3.54 Image Burn 2. Nero 6.6013 DVD-Video 7.3 GB) the problem that the drive is not able to access / burn the second layer.
Every time i got sort of an internal error at 50% capacity.
Because the burner is unable to write the TOC after the error the media is not readable in a normal DVD drive.

Media were brandnew Ricoh DVD+R DL 2.4x burned 2.4x.

Now I wanted to know if somebody got similar problems with Ricoh-DL Media.
Or is my drive defective(how ca I test that)?

the ONLY DL discs that should be used on Pioneer burners is the Verbatim MKM01 discs. The Ritek/Ridata are horrible burners on the pioneer and exhibit exactly what you mentioned above. I have burned a handful of MKM discs and never had a problem with either plus even though rated at 2.4x they burn up to 6x with np on the 109.

I don’t see the problem, Ricoh DL work here:
(This is a Pioneer A09).

cantankerous: Why do people always confuse Ricoh (not crap) and Ritek (crap) media? :eek:

So what’s their mediacode, m-blaster?

I apologize on the misreading of the manufacturer brand however the media code will tell all. If the Ricoh media code is the same as Ritek well then it might as well be Ritek discs as the code says it all. So yeah, what is the mediacode then m-blaster?

THX for all replies :slight_smile:

Here comes the info:

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPND00
Media Product Revision Number 01h
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Book Type DVD+R DL
Media Type DVD+R DL
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Layer 0 end sector 22D7FFh
Linear Density 0.293um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 2
Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 08 02 00 00 E1 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF …2…
00000010 00 22 D7 FF 00 00 00 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 44 ."…RICOHJPND
00000020 30 30 01 40 25 25 37 11 00 34 64 00 34 64 20 21 00.@%%7…4d.4d !
00000030 0C 0D 12 12 02 01 01 10 00 20 21 0C 0D 12 12 02 … !..

It is the media that was burned with Nero (DVD-Video).

A friend is going to scan the media with his plextor 12x burner.

I suppose Ritek Media are not so good as ricoh (like the DVD+R).
I bought Ricoh because they are the cheapest here in Germany, almost 1/2 the price of Verbatim and were testet average with the 109 1.17 in CT (german pc journal).

Does anybody have an idea?

Ritek DL media is crap. Buy Verbatim or Ricoh instead. Ricohs are not that cheaper than Verbatims, but i also burned a Ricoh DL on my 109 and had no Problems. But I still prefer Verbatims, because, i know what i have with those. But that means not, that i never will use Ricohs again. There are also good media. Just check my scans below in my Linkssection. :wink:

And Verbatim DVD+R DL has not to be expensiv:

Verbatim DVD+R DL

*THX for every buy over my link. :iagree:

Does no one have an idea?

Sure, RICOH DLs should give better results.
See here.

Hello,
I want to know if my drive is some kind of defective because the Plextools scanning results were not good with 8x Verbatim media ??

PLease look here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=137388&page=3#post1028935
and
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1028931&postcount=50

Did you slightly change your opinion since this post:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=887888&postcount=6
taken from this thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=128760

" Ritek is not inverse stack. Ricoh is, and
the difference between Ricoh and Ritek is that Ricoh discs are written properly in the Plextor 716 and LG 4163B at least… (not in NEC, Pioneer) "

Ritek is not inverse stack. Ricoh is, and
the difference between Ricoh and Ritek is that Ricoh discs are written properly in the Plextor 716 and LG 4163B at least… (not in NEC, Pioneer)

Alexnoe postet his good Ricoh scan, maybe it was not possible with an older FW.

Also like I said:
“Ricoh…were testet average with the 109 1.17 in CT (german pc journal).”
Their media code was the same as mine.

Do you refer to c’t article p218 issue 6/2005? In this article author Hartmut Gieselmann just states that 2.4x should work for the Ricoh inverted stack DVD+R DL on a Pioneer DVR-109 FW1.17, but he does not present data on the quality. I also consider buying a new DVD writer, I really want one that can handle the Ricoh DVD+R DL media, which sell 30% cheaper than Verbatim DVD+R DL. However, as far as I know, few DVD writers can write the Ricoh media properly. I thought Pioneer DVR-109 would manage to write (at least at 2.4x) whereas e.g. NEC ND-3540A will not. At least, the same author Hartmut Gieselmann strongly recommends against using Ricoh DVD+R DL together with a NEC ND-3540A FW1.01 in c’t issue 10/2005 page 70.

Could you please tell the community if you were able to resolve the issue Ricoh DVD+R DL & Pioneer DVR-109 in the meantime? :rolleyes: It would be interesting to know for others who also plan to use the same combination of media & DVD writer. :smiley: Thanks!

Yes the pioneer was quite good (average symbol o ) with the Ricoh DL media in CT 06/2005.

I have returned the drive within 14 days and the remaining DL media are blank.
My friend is going to get the PLextor 716 where I will test the media and I prefer getting the NEW Pioneer DVR-110 (XL Aluminium version) at the beginning of september.
I would suggest you take the DVR-110 too.

Thanks for your kind tips :wink: I think it’s a reasonable suggestion to wait for a DVD writer that can really handle the Ricoh DVD+R DL media. I do not care so much about writing speed, but I do care about the price. And in that regard, Ricoh’s inverted stack technology will set the standard. Have you heard rumors that the DVR-110 will be able to handle the “inverted stack” media better than its predecessor the DVR-109? Or is that just a good guess?

but I do care about the price.

Yes Amazon is amazing with its 4 € DL Media that are no cheap platinum disks…
You are from Germany, right?

I do not give much about rumors but I am quite sure that the DVR110 can handle DL media better than the 109 and for tha last + 4 weeks you have not been able to buy the 109 anymore, after i returned my 109 it was rarely seen on stock.
CT is going to test it when it arrives.
I would recommend the XLB version with ALU chassis that is silent and has some speed features.
It is 10% -20% more expensive.

Did you slightly change your opinion since this post:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.p...888&postcount=6
taken from this thread:
That posting is really old… and the Pioneer A08, which fails on those discs, was the drive I was refering to. More Ricoh DL tests here

Thanks a lot for the answer alexnoe !

BTW did you already read the recent tests of the new Pioneer 110 D made by YSS the japanese ??
This new 110 D drive has a “strange” way
to burn the MKM-001 around the layer break area
by slowing down to 6x CLV after burning the inner part of the disk at 8x CLV,
but the results look good.

I tried to collect some information about the 10 pages of YSS’s review here:
http://forum.gravure-news.com/viewtopic.php?t=17459

This new 110 D drive has a “strange” way
to burn the MKM-001 around the layer break area
by slowing down to 6x CLV after burning the inner part of the disk at 8x CLV,
but the results look good.
Discs generally have a tendency to be worse at the outer edge, so it is actually not too bad an idea to slow down a bit at the end :wink: especially when overspeeding 2.4x media to such an extent

BTW did you already read the recent tests of the new Pioneer 110 D made by YSS the japanese ??
My french is much better than my japanese :stuck_out_tongue: and babelfishish is terrible to read

http://forum.gravure-news.com/viewtopic.php?t=17459
Good :slight_smile:

I agree with you: this way of the Pioneer 110 D to burn the layer break area
is new and very promising …
Actually I should also post these facts in this other thread related to the Pioneer 110D:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=144339&page=3#post1080901