Pioneer DVR-108 Only Reading 4.3gb on a 4.7gb DVD

vbimport

Hello,
Has anyone had this same problem with there drive. I have the oem version and it came with the 1.10firmware. When I put in a blank dvd media it only shows as a 4.3gb dvd. Can anyone explain this strange problem? On my other dvdr burner it shows normal 4.7gb. The other dvdr is the tdk 840 model. Strange.
Burning software:
Nero 6
Roxio 7

Thanks
XFaega

You are fooled!

4.38 gb, nothing more is possible on a SINGLE LAYER recordable DVD media!!

That’s funny. Just today I was at my friends house and his dvdr reads the disk at full 4.7gb. He has the tdk drive. I think something is wrong with the pioneer drive.

The MAX you can get on a single-sided DVD-R is 4.38 GB - This is the REAL GB size, not the upp’ed way hard drive and other media makers round up the media size. It works out to 4,707,321,856 Bytes per disk. Hope this helps explain it.

Thats funny. I have a file that is 4.65gb and it burns fine on the tdk but when I try the 108 I get the not enough space error. All my other friends don’t have this problem. When the blank dvdr media is read it shows a 4.7gb.
I talked to the place I got the drive from and they told me to return it for a new one. They said it should read the blank media at full 4.7gb since it’s not a hdd format.

Just a guess here, but what software are you using? I have a 107 and when using ulead burn now, if I don’t choose to close the disc, it will give me an error about not enough space on the disc, I guess because it has to have enough left on the disc to burn more later. I kept thinking it was a problem with Ulead, then I noticed after a certain amount of data on a disc, I had to choose to close the disc, then it would burn fine. Hope this helps.

4.7gig is the unformated size, but all you get to use is just over 4.3gig, like 700MB cdr as we call them which are really 730MB and you can get normally 702MB onto them without overburn, some manus even label the cake box 730MB, same story for a 1.44MB floppy its really 2MB, file system and info about media etc etc takes up the space we never see.

I though about this in bed last night, i may be wrong about unformated/formated size on the dvd only.

I was always under impression dvd - was slightly smaller than dvd + as some apps ive used in past used to have a slightly bigger size in menu for dvd + than dvd - 4.3gig rings a bell, bt so does 4.6 and 4.7gig :expressionless:

I though about this in bed last night, i may be wrong about unformated/formated size on the dvd only.

I was always under impression dvd - was slightly smaller than dvd + as some apps ive used in past used to have a slightly bigger size in menu for dvd + than dvd - 4.3gig rings a bell, bt so does 4.6 and 4.7gig :expressionless:

All i know in nero 6.6.0.1, overburn when you enable is set defaulted to 4500MB, now is this not smaller than a dvd anyhow ?, i had a overburn to do and it said not enough space and it told me i needed 4542MB so i set above size to 4550MB and it failed on a dvd -rw :frowning:

The Pioneer only supports overburning on cd’s, not dvd’s, hence why it worked on the tdk and not the pioneer. Max you can burn is 4.38gb, which is a blank disk size. Remember that in the “computer world” no one can count right, i.e 1mb=1000, when it in fact is 1mb=1024, hence why 120gb only appears as 115gb after formatting. Going back to xfaega original comment, if you want to burn more than 4.38gb, throw pioneer in the bin and buy a dvd writer that supports overburning.

That was misinfo on some sites reviews, the pioneer does support dvd overburn but not mount rainer.

I will put up screenie of it later as ISP is upgrading servers i cant get website to work :frowning:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the difference lies between the way the size is reported. Computers use binary, people use decimal.

Traditionally computer people used binary. Since the equipment they were working with used binary it made it easier to understand if they used the same number system.

In binary 1 Kilobyte = 2^10 bytes = 1024 bytes.
In binary 1 Megabyte = 2^20 bytes = 1048576 bytes.
In binary 1 Gigabyte = 2^30 bytes = 1073741824 bytes.

Somewhere along the line someone must have decided to start rating their products using decimal rather than binary.

In decimal 1 Kilobyte = 10^3 bytes = 1,000 bytes.
In decimal 1 Megabyte = 10^6 bytes = 1,000,000 bytes.
In decimal 1 Gigabyte = 10^9 bytes = 1,000,000,000 bytes.

So a 250 Gigabyte when rated in decimal is about 232.8 Gigayte in decimal.
(or when purchased from the salesman as 250 Gig is reported as 232 by windows)
The math:
250 * 10^9 = 250,000,000,000 bytes decimal.
1 Gig binary = 1073741824 binary.
In binary bytes than new 250 Gig drive is 250,000,000,000 / 1073741824 = about 232.83 Gig as seen by the computer you puchased the drive for.

And that 4.7 Gigabyte DVDR you bought to store binary data on.
4.7 Gigabytes = 4,700,000,000 bytes in decimal.
Or 4,700,000,000 / 1073741824 = about 4.3772 actual computer Gigabytes. Hence, your burning program reports the capacity as 4.38 Gig rather than 4.7 Gig.

I think all floppy disks all are still rated in binary bytes. And optical disks are rated in binary up though the 700 MB CDRs, which are actually 80 minute disks and I could be wrong but isn’t that why they really hold about 702 MB?

I’m not sure at what point hard drives started being rated in decimal rather than binary. I do know my own 40 meg really was 40 megs.

So why the switch to decimal? To make it easier for folks to understand how many bytes their disk can hold? Probably the official explanation.

My more cynical explanation is it was simply a marketing strategy. Makes the capacity seem greater. For instance, two manufacturers have two identical capacity drives(or optical disks) on the shelf. One is rated in decimal as 4.7 Gig, the other in binary as 4.38 Gig. Which will outsell the other? Or a 250 Gig decimal hard drive and a 232 binary hard drive.

Myself, if I knew they were the same, I would consider the manufacturer that labeled their media in binary to be more honest. But they can’t do that and compete. One manufacturer does it they all must.

True what say and i had a 250 gig sata and your sizes are spot on.but i was told 237gig approx what windows seen my hdd as is as the file sytem ntfs takes up space and leaves you this 237gig approx to use, some apps i ran in past told me hdd was actually 250gig hdd, this could be simply from the firmware chip that holds all info about drive.

A raw hdd in maxtor tools ran from floppy was seen as 250gig. my 60 gig appeared as 60.5

I dont think its as we all lazy and count 1000 as 1meg instead of 1024, its binary and decimal as you said, same with the 700MB crd i use, there marked 730MB and are but unformated we never see this space, on normal burn no overburn i get 702/03 MB and 719/20MB max overburnt, unless i use the 99mins/900MB media from same manu.

Its all a very grey area, these dumb euro laws made alcohol masurements be in metric and 100% messured accurate so not charging puntesin PUB for less, so why not have same for hdd and cd media where we know exactly size we paying for lol.

@Chugger: Perfect! :wink:

Chugger is correct. Also take a look here:
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

LOL

Anyhow i go by above laws, but every writer even on same media will get slightly diff amount of data on a cdr or dvd overburning.

I have a pioneer 108…
i was trying to burn this IMG. bout 4.6gig
with a sony dvd-+rw
and it worked fine
so i decided to flash my pioneer to piodata…
and everytime i would try to burn the same img. it would Say i dont have enough free space.

if i restore back to my firmware…
and format my sony dvd-+rw… i would burn with no problem.
so i decided to format my sony dvd-+rw
go back to piodata burn the img… 4.6 worked fine.
if i would format my sony dvd-+rw with piodata and try to burn the same img
it would give me an error msg saying i dont have enough free space.

strange huh

ohh ya i forgot…

witn dvdinfopro
using piodata
can’t seem to format the sony dvd-+rw
works fine with nero…

with the pioneer firmware…
using dvdinfopro to format works fine.

A 4.6GB image will not fit on a SL DVD media.
“Formatting” a dvd burner is not possible.

-R is actually LARGER than +R by a whopping 6mb
DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes
DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )

please please see this link for a breakdown and explanation of actual versus reported sizes of different formats of DVD discs:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

plextor drives are the most consistent overburners btw.