Pioneer DVR-106RD flashed to Pioneer DVR-106R, now PIO Mode only

vbimport

I have a pioneer dvr-106RD and flashed it to become a pioneer dvr-106r as there are fimware updates available for this version. i belive the drives are identical. i cannot even downgrade the fimware back… :sad:

the issue i have now is that, windows xp will not switch the transfer mode to DMA, only PIO. i reinstalled the ide channels and ide controller drivers and upon reboot the drive becomes DMA which is fine, however, when i try accessing the drive, the drive automatically becomes PIO mode again.

I read “Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations” i belive this is the case, however, i can i resolve this.

I read this from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

As i also have a dual boot system with windows 2000 installed, the drive works perfectly with windows 2000 and stays in dma mode.

Please help, is a new drive required now… :confused:

If it does work with 2K this prove your diag is right, getting a new drive is not the solution, maybe you should try deleting the IDE channel again, and even try to go back to the bare windows one.

i have fixed the problem…

see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10994750~mode=flat

I had to do this and volla, dma setting was permanent.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10 318}\0001

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
Type 1, and then click OK.
Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10 318}\0002

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
Type 1, and then click OK.