Pioneer DVR-106D not detecting DVD-ROM booktype on DVD+R

vbimport

I’ve been playing with my Piodata DVR-108 Christmas present. I burnt a few DVD+R discs and the Piodata drive (1.18 FW) as well as my Toshiba SD-M1712 DVD-ROM drive detect the discs as DVD+R discs with DVD-ROM booktype. My Pioneer DVR-106D (1.08 FW) reports that they are DVD+R discs with DVD+R booktype. I used both DVDInfo Pro and Kprobe2 (media information tab) on all three of the drives for the results listed above.

Can anyone else try a DVD+R disc that has been bitset to DVD-ROM in their Pioneer DVR-106D and see what it reports back as?

DVD+R BOOKTYPE is the same as DVD-ROM BOOKTYPE.

here is a link for you to read about BITSETTING:
http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?B#BitSetting

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2) 1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C. 800 FSB, PENT 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’S P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC32OO DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC27OO
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB SATA RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2) 250GB HARD DRIVES
MAXTOR 200GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2) 120GB HARD DRIVES
MAXTOR 60GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA-133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

I read your link. Using two different software programs to identify a disc and booktype the Piodata DVR-108DX and Toshiba SD-M1712 report my DVD+R video discs as physically a DVD+R disc with the DVD-ROM booktype. When I put the same exact disc in my Pioneer DVR-106D the same two software packages report the disc physically as a DVD+R disc with the DVD+R booktype.

The question is why scanning the disc with the Pioneer DVR-106D yields a report different than the other two drives.

The DVR-106D is not properly reporting the booktype.

Does Nero 6.6 work okay with the new Pioneer dual layer & DVD+/-R burners? I’m considering dumping my Lite-On 1633 and buying the latest Pioneer drive. I purchased the 1633 and Nero last fall to change DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM so the wedding videos I produce on DVD will work on both DVD-R and DVD+R players. I’ve received complaints on skipping, freezing and distorted video using Nero and the 1633 - a bad situation when your reputation and money are on the line. I discovered yesterday that Nero burn software may not be compatible with the Lite-On 1633S drive. I conducted a test of different DVDs with Nero and that drive using KProbe2 and noticed alot of errors. I noticed fewer errors using DVD-Lab (it doesn’t support changing a DVD+R to DVD-ROM, i.e., changing the booktype) using my older Sony DRU-500 drive and I believe the 1633S. Any comments? Thanks.

Tom H.

The skipping et. al. is usually due to bad media or a drive that doesn’t burn well on a particular media. To get rid of the media variable I recommend using Taiyo Yuden discs. It sounds like the DVR-109 with Buffalo 8.40 firmware is what you want. I still recommend the Taiyo Yuden discs.