Pioneer DVR-106 and 8X Media

RE: Pioneer DVR-106

I prefer silver shiny top 4X media with no logo or other frills. My choices are diminishing each month. I have gotten very good results with 4X RITEK G05 and 4X Prodisc ProdiscS3. However, my supplier has run out of these.

My last batch was 8X Prodisc ID=ProdiscF01 but the supplier shipped me Prodisc ID=MCC 02RG20, and I got nothing but skips and freezes. I did some checking around and found similar problems with Prodisc ID=MCC 02RG20 from others. The shipper told me they are essentially the same media from Prodisc, even though the IDs are different. I question that claim, especially when they actually show the ID to be ProdiscF01 on their web site.

QUESTIONS:

(1) Are they both the same as the supplier claims? Also, are they correct in shipping a different ID than what they posted on their web site?

(2) Any concerns about problems burning 8X media at 4X on the Pioneer DVR-106?

(3) I just ordered 4X Taiyo Yuden TYG01 media based on some good reports. I hope I have no problems but let me know if I should be aware of anything?

Thanks,

Gary

Correction:

…I have gotten very good results with 4X RITEK G04 and 4X Prodisc ProdiscS3…

TYG02 (8x media) works very well in the 106. G05 (as you noticed) work well. All G05 media is 8x, despite what someone may have told you. G04s are 4x and are an even better match to this drive. MXL RG03 (8x) is also a good choice. It’s a great drive which works better with a lot of 8x media than some of it’s 4x writing stablemates. It’s just getting on in years…

Good luck,
-Evan-

>>> TYG02 (8x media) works very well in the 106. G05 (as you noticed) work well. All G05 media is 8x, despite what someone may have told you <<<

Yes, it was a typo on my part. I had been using the 4X shiny silver RITEKG04 for a long time, before switching to 4X shiny silver ProdiscS3.

>>> It’s a great drive which works better with a lot of 8x media than some of it’s 4x writing stablemates. <<<

Very good information because I had no idea how the Pioneer DVR-106 would handle IDs that it clearly might have no idea about what write strategy to use. Its a shame that Pioneer does not do an annual maintenance release of the firmware and just update the IDs.

I agree. They update til a new model is out and then you’re hard pressed to get them to admit they ever even MADE the older model drive! It’s crap, but such is the computer industry.

-Evan-