Pioneer DVR-106, about the best one?

Okay,

I spent the last 2 hours sifting through this forum looking for information on the Pioneer DVR-106.

Newegg has an 8 hour sale on this drive, for $135us, free shipping.

8 Hour Sale, Ends 8:30PM PST
PIONEER DVD-Recordable (Black Bezel) DVD-R DVD-RW DVD+R DVD+RW
Specifications:
Inferface: ATAPI
Buffer: 2MB
Access Time (Random Average) DVD: 150 Msec, CD: 130 Msec
Write Support:
DVD-R: 4X, 2X, 1X
DVD-RW: 2X, 1X
DVD+R: 4X, 2.4X
DVD-RW: 2.4X
CD-R: 16X, 12X, 8X, 4X
CD-RW: 10X, 4X
Read Support:
DVD-ROM: Max 12X CAV
CD-ROM: Max 32X CAV
MODEL DVR-106BK
Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

At the risk of sounding rude, I want some recent input, as most of the information in the posts are from 3-6 months ago.

Are there still issues with + data?

Is there anything that is substantially better out there? (It is hard to beat the price)

What software works and does not work? I have Nero 6, and several other DVD apps.

Is this a bargain in your opinion?

Any media I need to aviod?

Thanks…

Bump…

No comments yet? Lots of looks here. I wouldnt press normally, just that it is a one day sale…

The Pioneers are good drives. The price is good and you are buying from the best online dealer. What more do you want?

I read a post yesterday I think where one of the monitors said he had yet to find media that wouldn’t work in his Pioneer burner.

If you are worried about media, only get the best available. You should be able to find some -R disks by Taiyo Yuden and have no problems at all. If you want to try some +R disks, get some Verbatim Datalife Plus disks—they are generally high quality.

Nero should work just fine.

Thanks Kerry56,

Guess that thread about + media problems had me concerned a bit. Perhaps it is an isolated problem…