Pioneer DVR-104 Help!

Hi,

My Pioneer DVR-104 drive can burn CDs and read DVDs like a charm, but it can’t burn DVDs. Now I’ve been searching all over the web, and I downloaded Pioneer’s latest firmware but when I run it, it says “Available target is not found.” On these forums, it’s been saying to download DVRFlash 2.2 but I’m not DOS expert, and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been reading its readme.txt file but I can’t find a comprehensive guide on what to do. I’ve even tried downloading the DVRFlashGUI program but none of that seems to be working. I’m not a computer expert, so can anyone give me step by step directions in layman’s terms on how to flash my drive, so I can burn DVDs?

In one of the forums it said:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=99617

“All you have to do, is extract DVRFlashGUI’s 3 files to a directory of your choice, then extract the firmware and/or kernel files to the same directory, or anywhere else you wish, then launch DVRFlashGUI.exe.”

But I have no clue how to extract the firmware and/or kernel files or what they even are. If you can help me, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Just leave it. Test the drive in another copmputer, also use other dvd media.
If it behaves the same, the dvd part is dead and you can do nothing about it.

Wow - a 104 - must be ready for retirement.

I know this thread is old, but I have this same exact issue, is it really worth my time to try and fix this? I bought the tower for under 200 bucks and I could just go get an external burner or replace it fairly easy for less than 100 bucks right? if anyone has a quick fix for this that would be great!

it will play regular dvds but nothing burned will even read, it just makes a funny noise for awhile and then quits

I suspect it’s most likely a media issue which might be fixed by firmware update, but there haven’t been any updates for burners this old in years unfortunately. Best option is to replace the burner since new burners can be had for under $30.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2170536]I suspect it’s most likely a media issue which might be fixed by firmware update, but there haven’t been any updates for burners this old in years unfortunately. Best option is to replace the burner since new burners can be had for under $30.[/QUOTE]

yeah I tried reinstalling the hardware, updating the firmware, and swearing at it alot, none of that worked, thats what I figured, thanks