Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 112D Won't Recognize CDs

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-112D / DVR-1810. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m running WinXPHome, SP3.

I have two optical drives on the secondary IDE channel:

Device 0:
Liteon DVD-ROM LTD163
UDMA2

Device 1:
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D
UDMA4

The 112D is giving me trouble. It will read DVDs (play movies, for instance), but it will not read CDs. When I put a CD in, I hear the drive searching and searching, and if I go to Windows Explorer and click on the drive letter, it hangs and I have to reboot.

If I try to access the drive through the CMD prompt, it reads fine with a DVD in it, but it says drive not ready if there’s a CD in it.

Device manager shows that this device is working fine.

Any ideas?

It is known that a batch of 112 drives was faulty because of the CD laser become damaged very quickly. Maybe you have one of these drives :frowning:

The only solution is a RMA (if the drive is still under warranty) or get a new drive :frowning:

You can still use the drive for DVDs however :slight_smile:

@ Rcunning,

Perchance are you aware that CD Freaks has a dedicated Pioneer DVD Burner Forum where your Pioneer DVR-112D posting would be the appropriate area to make your posting?

It appears that your particular Pioneer DVR-112 drive has experienced the infamous “Fail To Read/Write CD Media” problem. Pioneer DVR-112D CD Media Read/Write problem is a well-documented problem. Perhaps reviewing the below Pioneer Web Site link concerning Pioneer DVR-112D CD Media Read/Write problem will be helpful ->

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Important%3A+Notice+Regarding+CD+Read+and+Write+Functionality+in+Certain+Pioneer+Computer+Drive+Models

Regards,
bjkg

PS - It should be noted for the infamous “DVR-112 Fail To Read/Write CD Media” problem that Pioneer has waved the 12-month warranty time limit.

Many thanks to both geno888 and bjkg.

I didn’t know that there is a forum dedicated to Pioneer products, but I will now look for it. Thanks.

Also, it does sound like my Pioneer DVR-112D does indeed have the infamous “Fail To Read/Write CD Media” problem, as acknowledged by Pioneer on their website. I am going to remove the drive, obtain the serial number, and complete the online form to see if it qualifies for the free replacement. I believe I purchased the drive from newegg, as an OEM, about a year ago. I also think I burned less than five DVDs successfully with it, and perhaps just one audio CD when I first got the drive. I have not had a need to use it’s CD functions since, so I don’t know when the problem first arose. But yesterday, I happened to put a CD in it, and the drive wouldn’t read it.

About four months ago, I did a clean install of WinXPHome on a larger drive, and kept all of my data on my original drive, which I now use as a slave drive on this pc. I have all my electronic paper work, such as the confirmation of order and invoice from newegg on this slave drive. But, it’s in the Outlook Express dbx, so I can’t retreive it unless I were to move that dbx to my new install of Outlook Express. I really don’t want to do that, but I see that Pioneer doesn’t need date of purchase to honor this particular warranty.

Thanks to both of you. You’ve been a great help.

Sincerely,

Ah, I renamed my current Outlook Express dbx, and moved the old one to the store location of my current setup, and I was able to find the newegg confirmation email of when I purchased the Pioneer DVR-112D. It was on July 13, 2007, it was an OEM, and the price then was $29.99.

Sincerely,

[QUOTE=RCunning;2162234]Ah, I renamed my current Outlook Express dbx, and moved the old one to the store location of my current setup, and I was able to find the newegg confirmation email of when I purchased the Pioneer DVR-112D. It was on July 13, 2007, it was an OEM, and the price then was $29.99.

Sincerely,[/QUOTE]

The manufacturing date counts…only.

I input my serial number to the return page form, and it came back as not in the range for the defective drives. So, I called, and was told the same, that it was not in the serial number range, so it would not be covered. I insisted that their range wasn’t large enough, and this had the ‘classic’ problem. I was connected to a manager, who gave me an RMA and the go ahead to ship it back. He said the would replace it.

It’s packed up and I’m shipping it tomorrow. We’ll see what happens, but I do expect them to send me a new drive.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=RCunning;2168089]I input my serial number to the return page form, and it came back as not in the range for the defective drives. So, I called, and was told the same, that it was not in the serial number range, so it would not be covered. I insisted that their range wasn’t large enough, and this had the ‘classic’ problem. I was connected to a manager, who gave me an RMA and the go ahead to ship it back. He said the would replace it.

It’s packed up and I’m shipping it tomorrow. We’ll see what happens, but I do expect them to send me a new drive.[/QUOTE]

What’s the date of manufacture on your drive? Did they require you to send it in with a receipt, or just the drive by itself?