Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111 ATA stopped working in Vista

Perhaps I can get some assistance with a problem I’m currently having.

My O/S is Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit. My DVD drive is a Pioneer DVR-111, just like the topic states.

I recently built this computer about a month ago and installed everything perfectly. The DVD drive was working flawlessly, but when I booted up today I am having an issue with it.

Under the Device Manager, it’s listed under DVD/CD-ROM Drives with an exclamation point next to it. The drive is also not accessible at this time.

When clicking on Properties for the drive under Device Manager I get this error code: “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”

I tried uninstalling the drive, then reinstalling the drivers but it always says that “The best driver software for your device is already installed” it also says below that “Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.” Then it shows an icon and says “CD-ROM Drive” beneath it.

I’ve tried downloading the firmware updates for this drive, but when I run them it gives me the error. “Available target is not found.”

I do not have an installation CD for this drive, even if I did, I couldn’t use it since the drive isn’t working.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum hot_firebird. :iagree: :clap:
Try system restore. If no good.
Boot from Vista DVD & try repair (instead of install).
Good luck.

Simple solution. Delete the drive from device manager and reboot. Vista should be able to find the drivers for it.

I tried restoring to a restore point from yesterday. No luck.
I booted from the Vista DVD and ran repair. No luck.

I uninstalled the drive from device manager and rebooted. When Vista started back up, it detected the drive and attempted to install it, only to get a message that it failed. It’s still listed with an exclamation point next to it, and when I try to update the drivers, Windows tells me the drivers I have for it are current. But, when I click on the properties, I still get the same message saying the driver is corrupted or missing. WTF!? :a

OK, I went and bought another DVD-RW drive, this one being an Asus and I’m still having the same issues. It failed in trying to install the drivers for the DVD-RW.

Solved
Apparently, installing something on Vista that is incompatible at times will corrupt the drivers for optical drives. You have to delete a couple registry entries and reboot your computer.

Here is the link to the Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

i had a problem just like the hotfirebird and i think it is caused by Daemon Tools. This program (the program that i used) not Vista compatible.
Thanks btw, that link really solved the problem of DVD-RW. I have Pioneer DVD-RW DVRKD08RS ATA Device (Copied from the Device Manager)

Thanks again. :smiley:

Hi my Dear, I have the same problem as you with my dvd device. How did you handle the problem? Actually, i can’t read any cd/dvd compound. I urgently wait for your solution. Thank you in advance

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome on board all you newbies. :iagree: :clap:
In answer to your post Nadama.
The solution may lie here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us
As posted by hot_firebird. :clap: :cool:

Hello All The Way from PANAMA!!!

Definitively it’s a Problem with The Damn Win Vista (What a Shame) 'cause if you boot The ACER ASPIRE 4325 using the [B]UBUNTU 8.04.1 LTS Desktop Edition LIVE CD[/B] it will recognize it from the beginning!!! :cool:

Just Downloaded at: [I]http://www.ubuntu.com/[/I]

Right now I’m using it and it works quite fine. In order to use it you have to change the BooT order by pressing F2 when the PC starts. Look for it on the top menus.

Well, let’s keep on thinking that this guys from MS are doing things to help us buying expensive software from their company. :Z

On the other hand we have [I][B]Mr. Mark S.[/B][/I] from South Africa who own Canonical Ltd. and REALLY WANTS TO [B][I]HELP THE WHOLE WORLD FOR FREE!!![/I][/B] :clap: :clap: :clap: