Pioneer dvd rw DVR-106D

vbimport

My Pioneer dvd rw DVR-106D drive which came with my sony pcv-rs420 quit working. When loading any type of disc, dvd, cd media in general the drive will just keep making a humming noise followed by what sounds like the motor trying to spin the disc. I’ve upgraded everything, even tried to put the drive in another computer in case it was a problem with the software side. I dont believe the busy led indicator even flickers or lights up. The only type of response what-so-ever is that my mouse pointer on the desktop turns into a tiny cd-rom icon (and continues like that until I click on something then the tiny icon dissapears) but no response elsewhere. Could this be a laser problem, and if so would anyone have any information on how I could fix this myself?? I would even go as far as to order schematics or take apart the drive.

Information found in the dvr-106d properties>>>>Device status, device is working properly. location: Location 0(0), Driver tab, provider: microsoft, date : 07/01/2001, version : 5.1.2535.0.

Been tinkering trying to figure something out about this for a couple months now…I hope someone out there can help me…

Thanks for any replys…

The Pioneer 106 is too far out of date to work so hard on repair. Laser alignment and replacement is way beyond the average tinkerer. I would spend the $50 and get a new drive. There are tons of good alternatives, many better than Pioneer.

My advice to you…let it go, man.

There are much better drives available now, at about the cost of a good 50 spindle of media. I know it’s tough. Lotsa classic pRon got “backed up” on my Pio (ahhh, the memories). But, like a belly-up fish, I had to flush it.

Moved to the Pioneer DVD Burner forum :wink:

[QUOTE=s_t_a_n_h_o_p_e;1040033]My Pioneer dvd rw DVR-106D drive which came with my sony pcv-rs420 quit working. When loading any type of disc, dvd, cd media in general the drive will just keep making a humming noise followed by what sounds like the motor trying to spin the disc. I’ve upgraded everything, even tried to put the drive in another computer in case it was a problem with the software side. I dont believe the busy led indicator even flickers or lights up. The only type of response what-so-ever is that my mouse pointer on the desktop turns into a tiny cd-rom icon (and continues like that until I click on something then the tiny icon dissapears) but no response elsewhere. Could this be a laser problem, and if so would anyone have any information on how I could fix this myself?? I would even go as far as to order schematics or take apart the drive.

Information found in the dvr-106d properties>>>>Device status, device is working properly. location: Location 0(0), Driver tab, provider: microsoft, date : 07/01/2001, version : 5.1.2535.0.

Been tinkering trying to figure something out about this for a couple months now…I hope someone out there can help me…

Thanks for any replys…[/QUOTE]
This has occured to me many times- my fix whichy I hate- is to reconvert my computer to an ealier time using the recovery wizard- warning go slow here- why its seems to occur is that U download some update for MS or my fire wall or whatever and then the sucker stops working–In the Device Manager-where all devices are listed a
-yellow dot with a < ! > (exclamation point) ICON is on the same line as the Device–this shows that it is PHOOKED- but no roll back or hunt for the driver soft ware to re-install the sucker can be found–
GOD LUCK Suggest when buying new comp when u upgrade find a local computer guru/store/support place–have them build your next one-make log of all past problems so as to make sure they do the deed right-also stay with XPSP2 -never vista

You will have to disassemble the drive. The unit at some point improperly ejected, lost power, or was bumped hard enough to dislodge the head from its normal trajectory.
It’s really quite easy. Remove the 4 screws holding the case together while the unit is laying on its top. Remove the bottom plate to the case. Depress the tabs to the face plate and remove it. Remove the shell of the case. Turn the unit right side up and locate 2 screws which hold the top section to the frame and remove them. Unplug the drive motor cable and carefully lift the top section and roll it to one side, being careful of the tray motor wires, which must be unsoldered if you intend to separate them fully. The head is now exposed, as well as the entire mechanical system on the underside of the top section. Clean the head with COTTON ONLY. Grab the head and force it back and forth on its travel rods (this will force the head motor to realign the head when the unit is plugged back in the first time). If u hear the gear teeth clicking some when u do this, all the better.
If you have “damaged” the drive by forcing a disk into it too fast, all you have done is force a little flexible plastic trigger out of it’s socket. This will be easy to see and return to its correct location. Reassemble the drive and plug it in.
I have two of these drives, and one was purchased for parts to fix the other. Each had one of the two problems described above. They are both now fully functional.
This drive has a known heat issue, but is one of the best units ever built, as it will read just about anything. This is evidenced by the large and complex head assembly. If you can separate the drive from others, it isn’t too much of a problem. They are also now 8 years old and difficult to find. It would behoove you to try and repair it.

[QUOTE=s_t_a_n_h_o_p_e;1040033]My Pioneer dvd rw DVR-106D drive which came with my sony pcv-rs420 quit working. When loading any type of disc, dvd, cd media in general the drive will just keep making a humming noise followed by what sounds like the motor trying to spin the disc. I’ve upgraded everything, even tried to put the drive in another computer in case it was a problem with the software side. I dont believe the busy led indicator even flickers or lights up. The only type of response what-so-ever is that my mouse pointer on the desktop turns into a tiny cd-rom icon (and continues like that until I click on something then the tiny icon dissapears) but no response elsewhere. Could this be a laser problem, and if so would anyone have any information on how I could fix this myself?? I would even go as far as to order schematics or take apart the drive.

Thanks for any replys…[/QUOTE]

Verbatim CD-R CMC 97m26s66f Made in China
Pioneer DVR-106D w.1.08
ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 x16

2018-02-20_07-46-35