PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 firmware update

recently purchased some blank dvds, hoping to put my films onto them.

i put the disc into my PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 drive and the disc is not read

after searching on google i found that i needed to update my firmware, so i downloaded this specific update for my PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 and it says

‘Available target is not found’

can anyone help me on this, as it is very frustrating that i cannot get my dvds to work

thanks

Did you save the file to your desktop or just hit open. If you hit open, try to use the save feature and then open it manually.

i saved it to my desktop and opened it

First of all, do you understand that the Pioneer DVR-104 is a single format, DVD-R or DVD-RW writing drive only? You aren’t trying to use DVD+R or DVD+RW media with the drive, I hope.

If the firmware updater from Pioneer says that an available target was not found, that means that your drive is not a Pioneer supported drive. Your drive probably came in a computer from Sony or something, right? It is possible to flash your drive to newer firmware from Pioneer, but you must use DVRFlash as the flash tool.

’ You aren’t trying to use DVD+R or DVD+RW media with the drive, I hope. ’

can u explain that please

also, my drive did come with a sony computer, where can i get the DVRFlash from?

Please do some research into the differences between the two formats (DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW) yourself. here’s a good starter page: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

DVRFlash can be found here: http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org

in my dvr-104 from sony. I updated the fw from sony support.
http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/
No problems at all.
Maybe you can try.

thanks for the help, but when it says put in my computer product thingy, mine isnt there :confused:

can u tell me the exact address for the firmware update please?

Think that the firmware probably isn’t the problem, it sounds like the pioneer update isn’t finding the target where it expects it to be… When I flashed my old DVR-104 I put it as the Master device on the Secondary IDE (with no other drives connected on the same cable). A quick search on ‘Available target is not found’ at http://forum.rpc1.org brought up a number of responses which seem to indicate that may be your problem.

As dhc014 mentioned, make sure that the media you’re trying to use is DVD-R or DVD-RW otherwise you won’t be able to burn to it as the 104 was before the times of dual format burning, and make sure that the firmware you’re trying to flash your burner with is for your exact model otherwise you could shaft the drive and make it unuseable.
Give that a spin, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, hopefully you’ll have some luck :slight_smile:
If not, well you’ve got an excuse to go and upgrade to an 8x or faster drive which handles multiple formats!!

cheers

Jon

Your advice on the Pioneer DVD-R 104 sounds exactly like our situation. However, can you tell us the steps in order to put it as the Master device on the Secondary IDE (with no other drives connected on the same cable). We looked about both the IDE and the DVD drive on device manager and couldn’t figure out what to do. Thanks

That will give you nothing.

You have to set the connection jumper correctly at the backside of the drive. This cannot be done with SOFTWARE.

My Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104 drive is not reading CD’s, will only read some DVD’s and will not burn blank Cd’s. Is the firmware update the solution to these problems? Can anybody help me?

anyone?.. anyone…?

Buhler…?

No, is not, and please don’t bump threads…
Clean the drive.

SOS
hi everybody
i need your help please
i have a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104
my problem is that when i inisert a dvd 4x it works normal but when i inesert a 8x or more speed dvd it doesnt detect it
i will be so happy and gratfull if anyone helps me
and thx for your time

Just get a firmware update and use it. :slight_smile:

I have a Quicksilver Mac G4 SuperDrive:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104
Revision: A227
Serial Number: MBKTO040424WL
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

It will not read certain 16x speed media. I have done some Googling and see that there “may” be a firmware upgrade needed, but I can’t find the file download anywhere, not at Pioneer and general community sites such as this one.

Is it possible to use my drive for today’s media?

Thanks for any help.
Steven

[QUOTE=shmerls;1937594]I have a Quicksilver Mac G4 SuperDrive:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104
Revision: A227
Serial Number: MBKTO040424WL
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

It will not read certain 16x speed media. I have done some Googling and see that there “may” be a firmware upgrade needed, but I can’t find the file download anywhere, not at Pioneer and general community sites such as this one.

Is it possible to use my drive for today’s media?

Thanks for any help.
Steven[/QUOTE]

Get a new burner or 8x rated dvd media.
No need to post a s/n also.

The DVR-104 is like 9 generations old. Chances are, it has seen better days. A new drive like the Pioneer DVR-115 will serve you much better in the long run, with better media support and write quality not to mention faster write speeds. With new drives being so cheap and well refined, there has never been a better time to invest in one.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD