Pioneer DVD-R DVR-105 problem

Windows XP and my burning software cannot see blank disks in my Pioneer DVD-R DVR-105. I checked the drive using Device Manager; it sees the drive and says the driver is current and the device is working properly. Nope. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, but that didn’t help. The problem began after using DVD X Copy Gold, although everything ran smoothly when I backed up one of my children’s DVD movies. Now, when I try to burn, the drive spits out the blank disk and prompts me to insert a disk. I wonder if DVD X Copy changed a setting somewhere or if Windows XP is the culprit, with some write-protect spasm. At a loss.

Try updating the firmware, BIOS, and Chipset. Then report back.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
Try updating the firmware, BIOS, and Chipset. Then report back.

NOPE - This may add to his problems.
The key in his post was " The problem began after using DVD X Copy Gold "!

Try un-installing this software and its drivers, see if your issue clears.

If it does, then you have a software conflict.

I had the self same problem uninstalling dvdxcopy cured it

I already removed DVD X Copy, and had no luck. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, to no avail. I have a hunch that some value has been changed somewhere that is prohibiting the software from seeing that the disk is inserted. Pioneer support said send the drive in, which I’m assuming will be a three-month ordeal, so that will be my last resort. My next to last resort is taking it to someone locally to fiddle with it. My resort of choice, of course, would be to fix it myself – with the assistance of all esteemed members of this forum.

why not just do a complete format and re-install of windows, then go for the return option.

Originally posted by Lee525
I already removed DVD X Copy, and had no luck. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, to no avail. I have a hunch that some value has been changed somewhere that is prohibiting the software from seeing that the disk is inserted. Pioneer support said send the drive in, which I’m assuming will be a three-month ordeal, so that will be my last resort. My next to last resort is taking it to someone locally to fiddle with it. My resort of choice, of course, would be to fix it myself – with the assistance of all esteemed members of this forum.

Not used DVD X Copy for a while - Does it still install Gear Drivers?
Control Panel / add/remove programs etc.

Let me know?

Bill

Reformatting was my other resort, but I didn’t want to mention it in hopes of avoiding it altogether. It takes weeks to reinstall my life back onto the computer, and then there’s dealing with Microsoft about reactivation. Sigh! But it’s looking more and more like reformatting is my only option.

I forgot to ask this, how big was the file you are trying to burn? What media were you trying to burn it on? Does this only occur when using DVD X Copy Gold? Have you tried burning both DVDs and CDs and have it fail?

And even if you do have to reformat it shouldn’t take that long to get all your stuff back. I’ve had to reformat before and it took me like a week, max. The whole ordeal with Microsoft took me like 5 minutes, too.

Have a look here - What version you running ?
http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/52941

DVD X Copy Gold

But I don’t know the version; I have since uninstalled it while trying to reconnect with my DVR-105. I read the thread and will try to upgrade the version and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestion.