Pioneer burner not recognised in bios?

I had a pioneer 215, and wondered about keeping it, I liked it, prior had ownd liteons, incl an aopen, and lg’s.

currently, I have an optiarc 7200, but when I had the pioneer, it wasn’t recognised by the bios by name, so it put me off, I had a samsung at the time as well, the 203, and that was.

I was wondering if anyone else had that, if it was exclusive to the pioneer, or why it didn’t recognise it by name?

I liked it, the build was far better than any of the others, the lg and sammys particulary cheap feeling, and the liteons not much better.

I know you can’t now judge burn quality by feel, but the koreans really are flimsy feeling, and the pi was lovely.

so I would like to return to pi, but am wondering if again it wouldn’t be seen by name which troubled me

any insight as to why, I don’t think it was simply bios version and wouoldn’t have been cured with a bios flash

any other drives feel more substantial? or is the pi the best built of the lot

I took them all apart and the pi was streets ahead inside, too. lovely build
help, thanks

Hi,[QUOTE=ianm2;2226401]I had a pioneer 215, (…) when I had the pioneer, it wasn’t recognised by the bios by name, so it put me off, I had a samsung at the time as well, the 203, and that was.[/quote]Common reasons for such a failure might be

[ul]
[li]a bad drive
[/li][li]an incompatible Sata controller (or Sata controller settings)
[/li][li]a bad Sata cable or connection
[/li][/ul]

Michael

hmm, yes its strange how one bad xp can really put you off, I lambasted other people once for being put off a whole make just by getting one dud drive once, you can’t avoid that.

lets hope it was as simple as either drive, or somthing in the sata, bios, or firmware and another would work fine

you can see I really was impressed by the pi’s build, having said that, I like the korean ones a lot despite the really lightweight external build, they just work well

can’t criticise my current opti 7200, works really well, but its nice to have variety.

thanks for the reply ( lets hope the sammy 223 gets its act together, and its just f/ware,
you must be a sammy fan to write that excellent little faq.??)

Hi,[QUOTE=ianm2;2226630]hmm, yes its strange how one bad xp can really put you off,[/quote]I can imagine that. Especially if you don’t have good customer support experience in such case. DVD drives are rather cheap nowadays, but just throw away and buy something new is not an option :wink:

thanks for the reply
You’re welcome :slight_smile:

you must be a sammy fan to write that excellent little faq.??)
Not really. I don’t think any mass product manufacturer deserves fans :wink:

Michael