Pioneer BDR-S06XLB: weak burn with Verbatim BD-R 25GB

Hi,
My first BluRay burn with my new Pioneer lead to the following
disappointment (too high avg LDC according to “Opti Drive Control”
manual): pic 1
Second burn with medium from the same 5-jewelcase-pack looked
much better: pic 2
For further comparison here are also two burns I had done earlier with
the LiteOn iHBS212 (pic 3 + 4), also with media from the same pack.
These seem ok.
Question: What was the reason for that one bad Pioneer burn? Was it just one faulty medium among good ones or should I assume the BDR-S06XLB has a temporary problem? (I wasn’t sure if to post this here or in the media subforum, since I don’t know what’s the problem)-thanks

It is very helpful if you use ODC version 1.50 rather than 1.51

In version 1.51, the ability to show the discs’s media code is broken. It is very helpful for us to know what discs you are using.

Are all these burns done at the same speed? What burning software did you use?

Thanks, I will try to get version 1.50. All burns were done with Imgburn 2.5.7.0 at 4x.

You can get any of the versions at the ODC website :wink:

Without knowing what brand/MID disc you are using, it is hard to guess whether it is variable quality media or just the drive adjusting to that media.

Sorry. I can only find version 1.51 on the ODC website.
If it helps, the media info of LiteOn’s SmartBurn tool says:
Disc MID = 56 45 52 42 41 54 (VERBAT)

[QUOTE=Stefan1971HH;2638732]Sorry. I can only find version 1.51 on the ODC website.
If it helps, the media info of LiteOn’s SmartBurn tool says:
Disc MID = 56 45 52 42 41 54 (VERBAT)[/QUOTE]

That’s only a partial MID, a full MID should look something like VERBATIMc-000 or VERBATIMc (000). For this MID it is the small caps letter which matters really.

You can use DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/) to find full media details, including the MID of any disc.

ok thanks, DVD Identifier says:

Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-R-SL:VERBAT-IMc-000]

Disc Type : [BD-R SL : Class 0 - Version 1]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [VERBAT]
Media Type ID : [IMc]
Product Revision : [000]
Stamper Date : [Not Present On Disc]
Layer Info : [1 Layer (L0) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity : [12,219,392 Sectors = 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Very sorry. I didn’t realize that all the version links will now lead you to 1.51:o.

You can get 1.50 here

Even with quality media, I occasionally find that the first burn with new media on a burner will be less than stunning. The fact that it was the first 4x Verb you burned makes it really impossible to know if it was a sub-par disc or a slightly shaky first effort :). You can keep an eye on subsequent burns for signs of media quality problems.

Thanks for all replies!
I’ve just been bored enough to do another scan of this bad Pioneer burn.
Apparently the peaks vary from the three earlier scans of it.
In particular the ca. 460 LDC peak in the beginning is gone, which changes the scale.
Is this normal, and if not, what does it say? :confused:

Get another batch of Verb BD-R!

If that wont help then your expensive XL6 is a dud.

[QUOTE=Stefan1971HH;2638989]Thanks for all replies!
I’ve just been bored enough to do another scan of this bad Pioneer burn.
Apparently the peaks vary from the three earlier scans of it.
In particular the ca. 460 LDC peak in the beginning is gone, which changes the scale.
Is this normal, and if not, what does it say? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that a speck of dust on the disc can generate a spike on a quality scan. Generally speaking, single spikes of that magnitude are not significant, and may not be consistent from scan to scan. Larger areas of errors on the disc can indicate a media quality problem or a burner’s burn strategy problem. They also create trouble with read-back on some slim-type drives used in set-top players.

This is an example of a disc that one might wish to avoid.:frowning:

That first burn of yours is far from terrible. If a transfer rate test shows no read-back slowdowns, I would not be too worried. As I said, keep an eye on your subsequent burns with this media and burner before you decide that either one might be a problem :).

The quality range of Verbatim BD-R25 4x (VERBATIMc) indeed is a little more widespread than usual for high quality media, from very good to mediocre, but normally, there is nothing to worry about.

I sent these scans to Verbatim support and they voluntarily replace the bad medium.

Verb support in Germany??

Yes :slight_smile:
http://www.verbatim-europe.com/
support.de@verbatimsupport.eu

So whats the result with the “new” discs?

Haven’t got it yet. (they did send it, two delivery attempts by UPS failed)

Now I had another not so good burn with the Pioneer of a disk from another cakebox (same type of medium). Not sure what is the conclusion… other Pioneer burns with that media brand were good as I said.

Now I have another bad burn - but this time with a LiteOn iHBS212. It seems to say the Pioneer was innocent. This burn and the above posted not-so-good one were done with two Verbatim 25 GB 4x disks from two different 5-packs, ordered from the same store. - I haven’t tried the once yet that Verbatim sent as replacement.

Nice burner