Pioneer BDR-209EBK firmware flash procedure and tests

vbimport

Greetings!

I finally had some free time to test a little bit my new BluRay unit: Pioneer BDR-209EBK. I am going to post here how I updated the firmware and some quick tests.

Firmware update from v.1.20 to v.1.32:

1. I downloaded the latest firmware from Pioneer’s website: http://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html . Look for BDR-209EBK_FW132EU.EXE (2.05 MB) updated Oct 9, 2015.

2. Closing all programs I run the exe on Win7x64:

3. Update complete:

4. Restart computer and let Windows discover the drive again:

All seem to be ok now. Is time to burn some DVD’s to test the unit. I have a double layer Blu-Ray (50Gb) but right now no data to write on it, so, I will save it for later. I noticed that my Pioneer BDR-209EBK unit is recognized as PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M ATA Device.

Burner: Pioneer BDR-209EBK
Media: DVD-R, 4.7Gb, single layer, rated 10X, brand: K-Classic - Kaufland, manufactured by: Ritek F1
Recorded at 6x with cdrtfe
Quality scan with Sony-Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S

Fair quality at this speed.

Media: DVD-R, 4.7Gb, single layer, rated 10X, brand: K-Classic - Kaufland, manufactured by: Ritek F1
Recorded at 8x with cdrtfe

Much better quality at 8x.

Recorded at 10x with cdrtfe

Even better at 10x. Looks like this Pioneer unit writes progressively better as the speed increase. Weird. I will try 16x next.

Recorded at 16x with cdrtfe

Not much difference in quality between 10x and 16x speed. 10x looks a little better though, but the writing quality is awesome.