Pioneer BDR-209EBK - defective drive?

vbimport

I just bought a Pioneer BDR-209EBK, and I also have with me, for a limited time, a borrowed ASUS BW-12B1ST from a friend.
After I’ve tried some BD-R, and some disc quality scans I must say that I’m super pissed with Pioneer, from all BDR-R’s that I tested I got better results from the ASUS drive. My 209EBK was manufactured in July 2016 and already came with the latest firmware (1.34).

So, here it goes:
VERBATIMe - roughly the same quality
MBIR06 - roughly the same quality
PHILIPR04 - so bad and inconsistent that is hard to say, but ASUS seems better
RITEKBR3 - the Pioneer destroys these discs, while the ASUS performs very well

My biggest concern is with the ritekbr3 and the philipr04, if this happens with these, it can happen with other discs’ brands. To illustrate what I’m saying I will leave a comparison between the RITEKBR3 recorded in each drive. The discs from RITEK recorded by the Pioneer don’t work in the Pioneer, but the ASUS can read them very slowly for a tiny bit, then fails. The discs recorded by the ASUS drive work very well in both drives.
(I know that RITEK is crap, but just see the difference… I recorded 10 discs, 5 in each drive and I always got roughly the same result).

Do you think it’s possible that I have a defective drive?

Sony 10BNR25BSP (spindle 10)
RITEKBR3
NERO 2016 x6

It’s possible that you have a bad drive, but it’s hard to tell for sure. What speed are you burning at? Also, can you try burning a Discovery disc using ImgBurn and RITEK-BR3 on your BDR-209E, to rule out Nero as the problem? At multiple speeds would be even better, to find the “best” speed.

Thank you for the help, I’ve burnd all the discs in 6x, and one at 10x and the result was even worse at 10x. I will try to burn a Discovery disc using ImgBurn and RITEK-BR3 on the BDR-209E.
I will burn the disc at 6x, that way we will be able to compare.

[QUOTE=greyuniverse;2787336]Thank you for the help, I’ve burnd all the discs in 6x, and one at 10x and the result was even worse at 10x. I will try to burn a Discovery disc using ImgBurn and RITEK-BR3 on the BDR-209E.
I will burn the disc at 6x, that way we will be able to compare.[/QUOTE]

I’ll try a similar burn on my BDR-209M, which should be similar to your 209E.

Well, another disaster, almost sure a defective drive.
If you want I can post more information from imgburn, what is the relevant data that I must post?
I deeply thankyou if you burn a ritek-br3 to compare, however if your drive can burn them and read them, I don’t think that you need to lose a disc, because my drive can’t…

Well, the drive definitely doesn’t like RITEK-BR3 @ 6x. I’m going to try one other speed for the fun of it. It looks like your drive was able to complete the burn, but couldn’t read/verify it. It could be a bad drive, or it could be worse than usually bad RITEK-BR3. Are you able to return the drive?

[QUOTE=jadburner;2787352][…]It looks like your drive was able to complete the burn, but couldn’t read/verify it.[…][/QUOTE]
That’s what happened.

Your scan looks very bad too, but I win, mine is much worse :doh: a bloody graphic.
It seems a fact that the drive doesn’t like RITEK-BR3.
The problem is not with the RITEK-BR3 itself, I have burned many of them in other drive and all random scans are ok, I will add another scan from the RITEK-BR3 burned in the ASUS BW-12B1ST to compare with the discovery disc burned by the BDR-209EBK with ImgBurn.
I tried to read in the Pioneer the disc burned in the ASUS drive (good disc from the image), and the Pioneer can´t read the disc… Even discs with very good results in the scans my Pioneer can’t read them (RITEK-BR3) the ASUS can…
Maybe this drive it’s not compatible with the RITEK-BR3. This is very strange, Primeon recommends Pioneer drives, and guess what, Primeon discs are RITEK-BR3…

[I]“For maximum performance and reliability when recording Blu-ray discs with 10x ULTRA SPEED PRIMEON recommends the innovative Blu-ray recorders from Pioneer supporting ultra-fast recording speeds combined with high-precision results.”[/I]
http://www.primeon.eu/en/

Anyway, the point is that this drive can’t be trusted. And for me that’s a big problem… and if this happens with other discs, not just the RITEK-BR3?
I will take the drive to the store, maybe tomorrow.

Can your drive read your’s RITEK-BR3?

greyuniverse - You may wish to try burning a RITEK-BR3 at 2x on your drive. The drive seems to like this media when burned at a slower speed.

[QUOTE=greyuniverse;2787354]Your scan looks very bad too, but I win, mine is much worse :doh: a bloody graphic.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you win. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=greyuniverse;2787354]Can your drive read your’s RITEK-BR3?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I’m very willing to burn the RITEK-BR3 at 2x to me the speed it’s of no importance, (don’t know why they make 16x drives makes no sense to me it’s like a race lol). Anyway, I burned one at 10x to see the difference and was even worse, I always burn disks at 6x, or 4x according with the rated speed. However, I don’t see the point, my drive can’t read the discs, even those with good results, so I will try to return the drive for some other.
Perhaps an LG? I only care for quality and durability. Any suggestions?

LG and Pioneer drives seem to trade blows in terms of quality. Durability, I don’t know; both have their share of stories. So since the Pioneer seems to not be working, trying an LG may work better. Any of the BH14/WH14/BH16/WH16 drives should be okay with decent Ritek media.

(Slightly unrelated: I don’t expect you to ever have amazing results with that Philips media, unfortunately.)

I normally recommend Pioneer drives, since they’ve given me the best quality. That would be the 209D or 208D (if you can find one) for SL/DL discs. However, given your bad experience with your current drive, you probably want to give LG a try. The BH16/WH16 series are good. However, many drives have problems with RITEK-BR3 and other lesser quality media, so you may wish to also ensure you have good quality discs. VERBATIMe are usually pretty good, Panasonic 4x or 6x are considered the best. PHILIP-R04 are usually lower quality.

That’s a very good point Albert and jadburner, here is the media that I will be using:

I will use in large quantities:
VERBATIMe
CMCMAGBA5

In a very fewer numbers (old disks that I still have, from before knowing this forum, and having the ASUS drive):
MBIR06
RITEKBR3
PHILIPR04

The LG BH16NS55 seems to be a good option. I need to check with the store but I will probably try to go with it.

The PHILIPR04 from MediaRange (bad in all drives not just the EBK) burned at 4x and at 2x with the Pioneer BDR-209EBK, I think it’s interesting to see that the drive changes the quality very abruptly, that’s even more noticeable with the RITEKBR3, do you think that maybe there is something wrong with the BDR-209EBK burning strategy in some MID’s?

[QUOTE=greyuniverse;2787363]That’s a very good point Albert and jadburner, here is the media that I will be using:

I will use in large quantities:
VERBATIMe
CMCMAGBA5

In a very fewer numbers (old disks that I still have, from before knowing this forum, and having the ASUS drive):
MBIR06
RITEKBR3
PHILIPR04

The LG BH16NS55 seems to be a good option. I need to check with the store but I will probably try to go with it.[/QUOTE]

VERBATIMe is fine. Many drives are fine with CMCMAGBA5, however some don’t like it. When you have your new drive, you should check the results thread for that drive to see which media and speeds the drive likes.

[QUOTE=greyuniverse;2787364]The PHILIPR04 from MediaRange (bad in all drives not just the EBK) burned at 4x and at 2x with the Pioneer BDR-209EBK, I think it’s interesting to see that the drive changes the quality very abruptly, that’s even more noticeable with the RITEKBR3, do you think that maybe there is something wrong with the BDR-209EBK burning strategy in some MID’s?[/QUOTE]

Depending on the drive, the write speed can change abruptly (step fashion), which can lead to an abrupt change in write quality. We would need to see your burn graph to see if that’s a possibility. If not, then perhaps the write strategy was not optimized at all speeds for your drive. Albert is much more knowledgeable than me regarding write strategies, so I’ll defer to him for other possibilities.

Does BDR-209EBK was mad in japan or made in china ?

Thank

[QUOTE=rainydiary;2787371]Does BDR-209EBK was mad in japan or made in china ?

Thank[/QUOTE]
All of Pioneer’s BDR-x09 drives are made in China.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2787366]VERBATIMe is fine. Many drives are fine with CMCMAGBA5, however some don’t like it. When you have your new drive, you should check the results thread for that drive to see which media and speeds the drive likes.[/QUOTE]

I will do that.

[QUOTE=Albert;2787372]All of Pioneer’s BDR-x09 drives are made in China.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that. BDR-209EBK made in china.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2787367]Depending on the drive, the write speed can change abruptly (step fashion), which can lead to an abrupt change in write quality. We would need to see your burn graph to see if that’s a possibility. If not, then perhaps the write strategy was not optimized at all speeds for your drive. Albert is much more knowledgeable than me regarding write strategies, so I’ll defer to him for other possibilities.[/QUOTE]

This is the graph generated from the ibg file created by ImgBurn, from the discovery disc.

Trying to match up all the OPC checkpoints (the dips where the drive is supposed to check the quality throughout the burn)…

I can only guess, like y’all, that Pioneer set the drive up to perform as it is w/ the cruddy burns on BR3. If you get a chance to try 2x or 4x, maybe things will be better, as that will avoid using ANY of the strategy put into use for 6x & faster burns. (I think Pioneer’s target parameters while burning this media are a little off, or maybe don’t account for different variations despite their being entries for two revisions of BR3 in the firmware).

When you say the Pioneer drive can’t read the BR3 written on the ASUS, do you mean it cannot detect the disc at all, or that it detects the disc but playback/reading fails partway through? (Apologies if you’ve already explained that part.)