Pioneer BDR-206DBK or LITEON IHBS112-37

vbimport

Hi.
I have a problem to decide what bdrw buy
My choise is:
Pioneer BDR-206DBK
LITEON IHBS112-37

What unit is better? What unit has fewer errors reading and writing (BD)?
What will you buy your unit?
Any other unit you choose?

Thanks you, and regards.

Sincerly, Lordjohnny

Anybody???

Check out the poll here for starters and our review here for the Liteon drive.

I personally favour the Liteon drive as it’s very much cheaper here in the UK but they’re both great pieces of kit and either would serve you well.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2616948]I personally favour the Liteon drive as it’s very much cheaper here in the UK[/QUOTE]

That was the case a while back but it is certainly no longer the case in the UK now. You can now buy a Pioneer BDR-206D for about £65 or so delivered, which is pretty much the same (or even slightly lower) than the current price of the LiteON iHBS112.

@LORDJOHNNY

It also depends if you’re interested in a drive which can perform disc quality scans. The LiteON can do scans, but the Pioneer can’t. Aside of that, have a look at the reviews and decide for yourself…

Unfortunately we don’t have a review of the Pioneer here at MyCE, but the CDRInfo guys have a review for the Pioneer BDR-S06 XLB (retail version of the BDR-206, same hardware as the BDR-206D, but with a prettier bezel and fully boxed with a software bundle, cable, etc) here:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=31808

and in order to allow you a more like-with-like review comparison (same review style as it comes from the same site), they also have a review for the iHBS112 here:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=28230

In addition you could have a look at the real life results provided by various users in the two results threads for these drives here at MyCE, and based on what you see in there decide which drive you like best…

Be aware that its been reported that apparently most retailers will now supply a newer iHBS112-04 model (PL0x firmware on board) rather than the usual iHBS112-37 model (CL0x firmware) even though they advertise the latter … you can find more details in the relevant iHBS112/212 results thread in this section … it is not yet 100% clear what the difference between the two revisions is, but people reported some issues with scanning (although a workaround has been found) and apparently the drive can’t be flashed with a CL0x firmware …

Overall though, as Wombler said both are good drives … I’ve got the Pioneer and I’m very happy with it … I can’t say anything about the LiteON based on personal experience because I don’t have one (yet) … but if you don’t care about quality scans, in my view the Pioneer has the upper edge … even more so if you can buy it roughly for the same price as the LiteOn if not slightly cheaper …

[QUOTE=cvs;2616982]That was the case a while back but it is certainly no longer the case in the UK now. You can now buy a Pioneer BDR-206D for about £65 or so delivered, which is pretty much the same (or even slightly lower) than the current price of the LiteON iHBS112.
[/QUOTE]

Oooh I wasn’t aware of that and it was only a few weeks ago that I checked the prices so thanks for the info.

Looks like I’ve some more research to do now as I was thinking about getting the Liteon since the Pioneer was previously too dear. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=LORDJOHNNY;2616680]My choise is:
Pioneer BDR-206DBK
LITEON IHBS112-37[/QUOTE]
Hi,
Buy them both! The Lite-On a good ripping device and has disc quality testing capable. The Pioneer has a wide disc compatibility and excellent write quality.