Pioneer BDR-206D bricked?

Hello, I have a Pioneer BDR-206D that was only reading and writing at x2 so I was following instructions on How Can I Fix Slow Read Problem On BDR-206DBK?

I couldn’t find DVRFlash 2.7.8b so I used DVRTool 1.02 and the S1030611.106 firmware file and attempted to cross-flash from firmware 1.56 to 1.06. I think that bricked my drive. ! :frowning: Yay for me.

Now internal reflashing. Please wait… 97%// sptxSay.DeviceIoControl: x37 (55) The specified network resource or device is no longer available.
// sptxSay x 0 0 0 12 (ioctl status length senseLength)
// sptxSay.DeviceIoControl: x37 (55) The specified network resource or device is no longer available.
// sptxSay x 0 0 0 12 (ioctl status length senseLength)
// Device hasn’t become ready within a time limit.

And now it doesn’t even show up as a drive, or even seemingly power on. So I have no idea how to fix that… Is it totally dead or can I get it fixed? Thanks!

I can’t answer your direct question; however, you might want to know that you can pick up a BDR-209DBK for about $60~$70 from places like Amazon, B&H, and NewEgg. I am sorry I can’t offer a better suggestion.

It would help if you posted the exact command you used for flashing. Also, does the drive show in “dvrtool -i”? And did you backup firmware and kernel before flashing?
Btw. using dvrtool was the right decision. It is newer and I have used it with success on numerous drives.
If you didn’t flash a kernel, the drive should always come up at least in kernel mode.

Thanks for your replies,
I did not back up anything. Unfortunately typing dvrtool -i just produces this:

DVRTool v1.02

Firmware flashing utility for Pioneer DVR/BDR drives
by Blackened2687

build date: Jan 1 2016 / 17:04:11

and dvrtool -k just produces exactly the same but with ‘Device name is not specified’ at the end.

The command I initially used was

dvrtool -ff D: S1030611.106

Unfortunately I cannot help then. Luckily, I never had something like this happen to me. I don’t know if there is a way to force the drive into kernel mode. Also I don’t know what dvrtool -ff does if given only one file (for crossflashing you often need kernel and firmware and flash both). It probably flashed that file as normal firmware. But then the drive should still come up in kernel mode.
Is the drive connected to SATA on the system or do you use some USB-SATA bridge?

It’s connected directly by sata. It doesn’t show up in bios, no lights blink when the PC turns on, it’s just completely dead. :pensive: