Pioneer BDR-206

vbimport

I’m looking to buy a Pioneer DVR-206 and trying to catch a good price but I’m a little confused about whether there’s software included or not. I thought I’d read here that someone said all Blu-ray burners came with software but now I’m not so sure.

Was looking here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7106135 and it seems to imply that no software is included.

Do some sites sell the Pioneer with software and others don’t I’ve never bought a Blu-ray writer before?

It does look like some of the retailers are offering this drive without software. Mwave, for example, has it with and without: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProductGrid.asp?Manu=Pioneer&CatID=19&pageTitle=BD-R%20/%20Blu-Ray

The software included is usually a slightly crippled version of PowerDVD, which allows you to play back commercially made blu ray movies on the computer. The version I got with my LG drive didn’t allow anything but stereo sound output.

It is possible to play the main movie on a blu ray drive using free software like Media Player Classic HomeCinema, but it cannot play the menus. I eventually got Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater for playing blu ray from the computer, and have found it to be vastly superior to PowerDVD, but it is an expensive add on.

For burning, you don’t need anything more than ImgBurn, which is free to download and use.

So with your crippled version of PowerDVD can you play menus, while I don’t need something as expensive as Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater it would be nice to have that option? I really don’t foresee myself watching Blu-ray disc on the computer much just backing up my Blu-rays.

Since the difference in price at Mwave with or without software is $14 do you think it’s worthwhile?

It is difficult to play extras without access to the menus. Not impossible, but a pain in the butt to find the exact m2ts file you want.

If playback from the computer isn’t something you plan on doing regularly, the crippled version of PowerDVD would be fine. I just found it inferior in virtually every respect to Arcsoft’s program. TotalMedia Theater is also automatically integrated into Windows Media Center, so that is a plus for those using Media Center as part of their home theater pc.

You do need something on the computer that can play blu ray, if only to test your backups before burning to a disk. Media Player Classic, or Media Player Classic HomeCinema can work for this if you plan on making movie only backups. If you are backing up the whole disk, you should get PowerDVD along with the Pioneer drive.

Newegg is currently out of stock for this drive, but I believe they can beat Mwave’s price. Newegg includes the software.

My BDR-206DBK did not come with any software in the box. Before buying one, you might also want to check out this forum post which lists off some problems with this model of drive (see my post in that thread; it expands on 2 other problems I’ve seen in addition to the inconsistent rip speed issue).

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention. At some point a long time back, Cyberlink removed the ability to play blu ray from files on the hard drive. This made it necessary to put the blu ray output in ISO format and mount in a virtual drive before playing with PowerDVD. I don’t know if they ever changed this back, but i doubt it.

This is another reason I got TotalMedia Theater. It can play straight from blu ray files on the hard drive.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2592803]

You do need something on the computer that can play blu ray, if only to test your backups before burning to a disk. Media Player Classic, or Media Player Classic HomeCinema can work for this if you plan on making movie only backups. If you are backing up the whole disk, you should get PowerDVD along with the Pioneer drive.
.[/QUOTE]

I should probably get it with the software then. I already have AnyDVD HD, CloneDVD2, and VirtualCloneDrive that I use with my Pioneer DVD-RW 111D and have been waiting for a Clone HD but it’s taking so long. Anyway I wasn’t sure how to go about backing up a Blu-ray Disc but thought I’d ask that question when I got there… I do think I read something about AnyDVD HD can rip an ISO Image from a Blu-ray Disc.

[QUOTE=koitsu;2592817]My BDR-206DBK did not come with any software in the box. Before buying one, you might also want to check out this forum post which lists off some problems with this model of drive (see my post in that thread; it expands on 2 other problems I’ve seen in addition to the inconsistent rip speed issue).[/QUOTE]

So is every BDR-206BK owner is having these issues?

Is it a general consensus here that I should get a LG instead, or at least wait awhile before buying anything to see if Pioneer fixes their problems?

koitsu is talking about audio cd rips, not blu ray. Use a proper tool that fits the specific job. I only use my LG blu ray drive for blu ray rips and burns.

Look at a program called BD Rebuilder for backing up blu ray movies. There is a link in my signature for a guide to setting the program up and its basic uses. The guide is getting a little out of date, as the author of the program keeps adding features, but should still work as an introduction to the program.

[QUOTE=mccoady;2592862]So is every BDR-206BK owner is having these issues?[/QUOTE]

Come on man, how would I be able to answer that without being either a liar or completely inaccurate? :slight_smile: All I can go off of is this forum, where there’s obviously 2 confirmations of the inconsistent ripping speed problem. I haven’t seen any problem reports anywhere else, but chances are people simply aren’t reporting the problems. How many people do you know who experience, say, problems with Windows that don’t report the issue to Microsoft? Probably more than those who do. See my point? :slight_smile:

For me anyway – and I can only speak for myself here – the problem I’ve experienced with my BDR-206DBK are severe enough for me that I’m returning it. I don’t care if Pioneer watches this forum and in 6 months comes out with a firmware fix; too bad. Both the main issues that plague me reek of firmware problems, and they’re both extremely annoying. Other people might be able to live with them, but not me.

[QUOTE=mccoady;2592862]Is it a general consensus here that I should get a LG instead, or at least wait awhile before buying anything to see if Pioneer fixes their problems?[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention LG: I’m not particularly looking for a Bluray drive, but I did just put in an order for an LG GH22NS50 (DVD) and an LG BH10LS30 (Bluray) to try them out and see if they meet my demands.

I’ve decided to go ahead and buy the Pioneer BDR-206DBK with software but still looking for a better price, in the meantime though I want to go ahead and order some media.

I usually like to get hub printables but they’re too expensive in BD’s so for now I’ll stick with regular disks.

To start out I want to order just a few so what would you recommend and even though I listed Rima I’m open to ordering from other sellers?

1. http://www.rima.com/prod/96769.html or http://www.rima.com/prod/97238.html ?

2. Would like one or two BD-R DL 50GB what to get?

3. Would like one or two BD-RE 25GB what to get?

4. Would like one BD-RE Dual Layer 50GB what to get?

Your first item, the Verbatim 25gb (non-LTH) disks, are the ones I use. I’ve had no problems with them, and I recommend them regularly around here.

I don’t have any experience with 50gb disks, so I can’t advise you about them, except to pass along a recommendation from others who post here regarding the FTI/Falcon made Smart Blu disks: http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-bluray-disc-50gb-white-thermal-print-10pk-cakebox-sbr4wth5010-p-31971.html
I suspect the Verbatim 50gb disks would be fine also, but as I said, I haven’t tried them.

I’ve had excellent results from the TDK 25gb BD-RE disks I have, but mine were made in Japan, and TDK has switched suppliers since then. I believe their current rewritable disks are made for them by Ritek in Taiwan, though that is just a guess. Their current lineup of BD-RE disks are certainly Taiwanese made.

Sony still sells some 25gb BD-RE disks that are made in Japan, but the other company that normally has Japanese made disks, is Panasonic, and they have started selling BD-RE disks made by Moser Baer in India. If I needed another BD-RE disk, I’d probably get one from Sony and hope for the best.

Kerryy56 those SmartBlu’s look very interesting I could get some hub printable BD-R 25GB disc’s at a very reasonable price http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-bluray-disc-25gb-white-inkjet-print-25pk-cakebox-sbr4wih25-p-27686.html plus a BD-RE 25GB http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-bluray-disc-25gb-bdre-white-inkjet-print-bluray-case-sbre2wih251-p-28565.html …then would only need to come up with one BD-R DL 50GB and one BD-RE Dual Layer 50GB.

I see on their website it says TDK Technology but they are indeed made by Falcon? They also carry Falcon label disc wonder if they are similar to SmartBlu or if the former label is better?

Bottom line do you think they are equal to the Verbatims I have used FTI Falcon Pro Media DVD DL without any issues?

Take a look at this thread for some opinions of the Smart Blu disks, from people who have used them: http://club.myce.com/f142/quality-25gb-bd-rs-us-dont-cost-arm-leg-319827/

jamescooley1 and deanwitty have used them with good results, but I have stuck with the Verbatims. I have no reason to question their opinions of the media, in fact I find them very credible posters here. I just don’t like the site where those Smart Blu disks are sold very much, as we’ve had to warn them about spamming our forum in the past.

Thanks they don’t sound too bad otherwise there’s always the Verbatims.

I thought I’d play around with BD-Rebuilder along with FFDSHOW, Matroska Splitter, and AviSynth 2.57 just to see if I had any problems with the installations and settings. I followed your link http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716 to download all the programs and select the correct settings in FFDSHOW.

I then ran the inspect.exe and I have two issues one is the Windows 7 thing where I know I need to right-click on the exe for BD-Rebuilder and run as Administrator which I’ll do as soon as I fix the Matroska Splitter problem.

The second issue is I’m getting “HAALI Splitter: Isn’t recommended version” but I’ve download from the first post of the above link so it should be right. I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled it but I get the same error (when I uninstalled it I made sure it didn’t leave the Haali Folder behind before I rebooted and reinstalled it).

The version is MatroskaSplitter03032011_(1.11.96.14).exe

Any ideas?

The recommended version of AviSynth is now 2.58. Jdobbs changed to the newer version in the next to last version of BD Rebuilder. Maybe you just had a typo in your last post?

As far as Haali goes, BD Rebuilder currently has a glitch in the program designed to check which version you are using. If the MatroskaSplitter folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Haali is 2,434,588 bytes, you should be ok. This glitch is scheduled to be fixed in the next release. (look at post 12299 on page 615 of that BD Rebuilder bug thread, and look at jdobb’s response in post 12300 on that same page)

I installed the newer version of Haali over the older one and my folder size is much larger than this, but Inspect shows no problems for me.

Some people have reported problems using the newer version and have reverted to the previous one.

[QUOTE=mccoady;2593701]Kerryy56 those SmartBlu’s look very interesting I could get some hub printable BD-R 25GB disc’s at a very reasonable price http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-bluray-disc-25gb-white-inkjet-print-25pk-cakebox-sbr4wih25-p-27686.html plus a BD-RE 25GB http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-bluray-disc-25gb-bdre-white-inkjet-print-bluray-case-sbre2wih251-p-28565.html …then would only need to come up with one BD-R DL 50GB and one BD-RE Dual Layer 50GB.

I see on their website it says TDK Technology but they are indeed made by Falcon? They also carry Falcon label disc wonder if they are similar to SmartBlu or if the former label is better?

Bottom line do you think they are equal to the Verbatims I have used FTI Falcon Pro Media DVD DL without any issues?[/QUOTE]
All of Falcon’s BD-R media is manufactured from the original Japanese-made materials. Their BD-RE’s can be expected to perform at least as well as the original Japanese TDK’s. Sadly, TDK labeled media is now manufactured to a large degree by others, and is a gamble.
I’ve been purchasing, scanning, and using all the hub-printable BD-R media I can get my hands on for the last 1 1/2 years. Currently the SmartBlu’s/Falcons are among the best BD-R’s you can get, at a price that’s equal or lower than media that’s not even close to them in burn quality. I would say that if you can find hub-print 6X Verbs at a good price, they have also been a very good burning disc recently. SmartBlu’s are most definitely made by Falcon. Their Falcon Pro media is so ridiculously high-quality that they guarantee them coaster-free for overspeed burning with their professional large volume clients. The SmartBlu’s are guaranteed at rated speed. In truth, they are still as good or better than anything else available, and easily the best value among high quality hub-prints at current prices.
Its been a pleasure to find these “issue-free” after fighting with variable quality media from the likes of Optical Quantum. Excellent burns like clockwork.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2593731]The recommended version of AviSynth is now 2.58. Jdobbs changed to the newer version in the next to last version of BD Rebuilder. Maybe you just had a typo in your last post?

As far as Haali goes, BD Rebuilder currently has a glitch in the program designed to check which version you are using. If the MatroskaSplitter folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Haali is 2,434,588 bytes, you should be ok. This glitch is scheduled to be fixed in the next release. (look at post 12299 on page 615 of that BD Rebuilder bug thread, and look at jdobb’s response in post 12300 on that same page)
.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was a typo or actually I copied and pasted from the link in your signature so yes I do have 2.58 installed and my MatroskaSplitter folder does show 2,434,588 bytes I should be good to go.

Everytime jdobb comes out with a new version of BD Rebuilder are you required to reinstall all the other programs also? Can you install over the previous version of BD Rebuilder (same with other programs if required) I’m trying to understand if you have to re-enter the settings after every update or if they’re retained?

Kerry56 I read somewhere here you said you owned an LG writer but if you bought another one you would get the Pioneer 206, can I ask you why?

I would like to order a writer today or tomorrow is there any reason to take a second look at one of the LG’s, comparing it to the Pioneer (both sold with software $30 difference between the two) is there really a strong preference of one over the other or are they equal.

We went a long time before having to change the helper programs for BD Rebuilder. So much time passed that having the older versions of AviSynth and Haali was causing problems for other video encoding programs (like Ripbot264). And people were complaining.

Jdobbs tested his program extensively before moving to the new versions of the auxiliary programs, but even so there have been some bug reports showing conflicts. To sum up, no, you don’t often have to update the other programs that BD Rebuilder relies upon.

You can simply copy the new versions of BD Rebuilder over the existing one and not have to go through the process of resetting anything. This is what I do and have not had any problems doing so.

I like the Pioneer 206 for its burns with blu ray media. The newer LG models are pretty good though, and watching Two Degree’s results burning dvds with his LG drive, I’ve been convinced they are good all rounders (good with various media and formats). LG has never been known for providing firmware updates to older model burners. It has been a sore point for users for many years, but lo and behold, they came out with a new firmware for my old GGW-H20L this year! So I have to take back some of the evil thoughts I’ve directed towards them. :slight_smile:

I think either the LG WH12LS30 or the Pioneer 206 would work well for you. I can’t make the decision for you though, and there are plenty of threads floating around the forum showing burn results with the two drives if you need more information before deciding.

Guess I’m just neurotic since I can’t seem to make a decision even after already ordering all my media, looks like I’ve delayed long enough whereas nothing will get delivered before the long weekend. I don’t buy a new drive very often and along with my old age making a decision is hard.ha!

Since my Pioneer 111D is getting old I do like the fact that the LG WH12LS30 or BH12LS35 (thinking about it) could take the place of it (if it fails) to burn all my media Cd’s, Dvd’s, BD’s and do a great job with all. Maybe that’s not the way to look at it though but rather to buy something that fits each need.

I don’t have a clue what the scans mean that are posted here but I get the impression that the Pioneer and LG are about equal burning BD’s but the Pioneer doesn’t do as well burning Cd’s and Dvd’s.

I also get the impression the Pioneer might be a higher quality drive and since it is not riplocked would be easier to install or might not have conflicts with programs already on your computer. I think I read something about the LG having a conflict with Virtual Clone drive on installation.

I think a big plus for the Pioneer would be they do offer firmware updates whereas the LG’s rarely do. I don’t think I’ve ever bought any electronics that the manufacturer didn’t provide updates to fix issues because everything released today seems to require a fix of some sort. When LG releases a new model I don’t understand how they can think they got it right the first time because no one else ever does.

Forgive my stupidly but when someone says the Pioneer 206 has slower Read speeds than the LG WH12LS30 what does that mean in actual use?

I’m in the same boat. I can’t decided between the Pioneer BDR-206 and the LG WH12LS30. I need a burner that is a solid all around BD/DVD/CD Burner as I only have one available SATA slot on my MOBO.

It’s also very important that my Blu-Ray burner be fully compatible with Exact Audio Copy, as I regularly convert all of the new CDs I purchase, to FLAC format.

Guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks

Milan