Pioneer BDR-206 vs Sony BWU-500S vs LITEON iHBS212

Hi all. I’m about to buy my first BR burner and after doing a day or two or research, I think I’ve narrowed the list down to the three internal drives in the title. My understanding is that the BWU-500S is basically a rebadged iBHS212 which I guess means the only differences are the price and the firmware, is that right? I haven’t kept up with optical drives much since BR became all the rage and now I’m trying to figure out if there is a clear “best” drive. The most important things to me are fast, accurate CD ripping, good sustained read speeds, firmware support and good BR burning (doesn’t need to be great because I won’t be burning a huge number of BR discs). I’d appreciate hearing your experiences with and opinions of these particular drives! Thanks for reading!

[QUOTE=BMT22033;2599544]Hi all. I’m about to buy my first BR burner and after doing a day or two or research, I think I’ve narrowed the list down to the three internal drives in the title. My understanding is that the BWU-500S is basically a rebadged iBHS212 which I guess means the only differences are the price and the firmware, is that right?[/QUOTE]

Correct.

I haven’t kept up with optical drives much since BR became all the rage and now I’m trying to figure out if there is a clear “best” drive.

There never was a best drive, and probably there will never be, everything has to do with what you want to do with your drive.

The most important things to me are fast, accurate CD ripping, good sustained read speeds, firmware support and good BR burning (doesn’t need to be great because I won’t be burning a huge number of BR discs). I’d appreciate hearing your experiences with and opinions of these particular drives! Thanks for reading!

I dont have the pioneer BD so i cant say much, other that pointing out that pionner optical drives were always very good drives, excellent cd/dvd burners and also excellent built quality, going back to the dvd-rw era.
The liteon is a drive that i have, so far it works perfect, good burns on cd/dvd and cheap BD media (i dont have any good media to burn for the moment, so i can say much about that part). Firmware support is ok, but you can do quality scans on dvd and BD discs and there are enough tools to make your life easier.

liteon review and no review on the pioneer.

Hi vroom! Thanks very much for the reply. I appreciate the info. After spending some more time doing research, I decided to go with the BDR-206. Hopefully it will work out perfectly for me. If not, I’ll return it and buy the LITEON.

Good choice.