Pioneer BDR-205BK has very slow read and write speed on Windows XP machine

vbimport

Hi everyone,

yesterday I got the Pioneer BDR-205BK, which I bought after reading the reviews on this site.

The burn quality on a test Verbatim DVD-R disc was very satisfying, but I have a problem with the drive’s read and write speed:

I doesn’t go beyond 2.7x at max, when reading or writing! :confused:

I did a Benchmark with Nero DiscSpeed, this is the result:

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mainboard with an Athlon64 3000+ and Windows XP SP3.
This is my drive configuration:

Any idea why the speed of the Pioneer is so slow? It also takes up a lot of CPU usage. Both is not the case with my BenQ DW1640 DVD writer:

What could be the reason? Is my system simply too slow? Or could the writer be defective?

Hi,[QUOTE=BobaFett77;2496696]

yesterday I got the Pioneer BDR-205BK, which I bought after reading the reviews on this site.
(…)
I doesn’t go beyond 2.7x at max, when reading or writing! :confused:
(…)
I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mainboard with an Athlon64 3000+ and Windows XP SP3.(…)
Any idea why the speed of the Pioneer is so slow?[/QUOTE]Your problem is the Sata controller your drive is attached to. There are known compatibility issues with Via Sata controllers and Sata optical drives. To make things worse, you have that controller configured as Raid - a HDD and a ODD together on a Raid controller is :rolleyes:

Solution: Get a PCI Sata controller card with Silicon Image chipset. Preferably a card which is not a Raid controller (then they are called SataLink), or a card that can be flashed to non-Raid controller Bios.

Michael

Thanks for your post. Actually I wanted to connect the Pioneer to the Promise SATA controller instead, but then noticed that it doesn’t support optical drives at all. The VIA SATA controller should support optical drives (and the Pioneer does work with it), but apparently the Pioneer is very slow on it. I don’t know why it shows up as RAID, there is no option in the controller bios to configure it any other way.

I will have a look for a PCI SATA controller then. Hopefully it will resolve the problem.

[QUOTE=BobaFett77;2496712]Thanks for your post. Actually I wanted to connect the Pioneer to the Promise SATA controller instead, but then noticed that it doesn’t support optical drives at all.[/quote]It’s the older chipset. The newer PDC20579 works nicely with opticals :slight_smile:

The VIA SATA controller should support optical drives (and the Pioneer does work with it), but apparently the Pioneer is very slow on it.
and there are many more issues, too.
I don’t know why it shows up as RAID, there is no option in the controller bios to configure it any other way.
Something special with Asus motherboard Bios. I own a MSI K8T-Neo2 (Via KT800Pro chipset), and there I can adjust the operation mode of the Via controller in Bios setup.

I will have a look for a PCI SATA controller then. Hopefully it will resolve the problem.
Silicon Image based non-Raid controllers are known to be very compatible with optical drives. Where do you live? Perhaps some members have suggestions. :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2496724]

The VIA SATA controller should support optical drives (and the Pioneer does work with it), but apparently the Pioneer is very slow on it.

and there are many more issues, too.[/QUOTE]

I suspect the Pioneer currently only operates in PIO mode 0 on it. That would explain the high amount of CPU usage, too.

Silicon Image based non-Raid controllers are known to be very compatible with optical drives. Where do you live? Perhaps some members have suggestions. :wink:

I live in Germany.

What about this one?

It’s listed with Raid controller as “model number” by Amazon, but mentions a SATA Link chipset in the product description. It uses a Sil3114 chip according to the product title. It’s also not that expensive - I want to build a new PC in one or two months anyway, so it doesn’t make much sense to spend a lot of money on a controller now. When I get a new mainboard for the new PC, I will be able to directly use the Pioneer writer with that.

Hi,QUOTE=BobaFett77;2496750

I live in Germany.[/quote]Fine.
Then you may consider buying a Delock 70096. 2-port Sata controller with SiI 3512. 16,50 + shipping @reichelt.de
Comes as Raid controller, but it is definitely flashable. :iagree:
See here: http://club.myce.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/

What about this one?
http://www.amazon.de/Silicon-Image-Controller-SATAII-Sil3114/dp/B002HR6SMI/
No idea. Ask the vendor (which is not Amazon) if the card is Raid or not.

Michael

Thanks for your help - it’s always great to get valuable information about positive experiences others had with hardware. I now ordered the Delock 70096 (from a different shop where I combined the order with some BD-Rs and DVD-Rs I wanted to order anyway, to cut down the shipping costs :)).

Fine :slight_smile:

Keep us informed how it went out :wink:

Michael

FYI the Pioneer BDR-205BK also has a firmware update to V 1.04 - I see you have V 1.03
(this does not negate anything said about the RAID issue)

Question to [B]BobaFett77[/B] - what is your Verbatim media disc spec/description?

I tried Imation BD-R discs & Vebatim BD-R 1x-2x

My BDR-205 won’t write to either

The Verbatim disc I burned successfully (yet slowly) with the Pioneer BDR-205BK was a 16x DVD-R MCC 03RG20, from a spindle, made in India.

I haven’t tried a BD-R yet. The Delock 70096 card is still on the way (DHL didn’t deliver my order yesterday, so I’ll have to wait until Monday). I ordered 5 Verbatim 4x BD-Rs with it, but I won’t directly use one of those. I’ll first make some tests with an Intenso 2x BD-RE I got last week.

According to the MyCE review the Pioneer should be able to write to the Verbatim 4x BD-Rs with 10x speed.

Regarding the firmware issue: Is it advisable to upgrade the firmware to 1.04? I haven’t checked out the differences to 1.03 yet. The first thing I want to get done now is get the writer running on a compatible controller.

I had the same issue…then someone recommended the following setting…Open Nero Discspeed. Choose FILE-Options-Transfer Rate and make sure STREAMING is checked. I had the same issues with Discspeed…although Nero and Roxio Creator 2010 Pro both burned discs at the correct speed. See below:

Today my new controller card arrived and I installed it this evening. I installed the driver, flashed the bios and switched to the satalink driver without problems. I could also put my second HDD back to the VIA controller.

Now the problems are gone, below is a test with the same disc from above.

I also noticed that I am now able to playback Blu-ray movies, which was not possible before because of the high CPU usage.

Thanks again, mciahel! :slight_smile:

Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Michael

Great help mciahel, glad you guys got it set.

I have a Silicon Image card myself the 3114, these are great cards.