Pioneer BDR-205BK and PCI SATA Card?

vbimport

I just purchased a Pioneer BDR-205BK burner . The computer I am using is a circa 2004 Dell that does not have a sata connection but does have an open PCI slot.

Can anyone recommend a PCI SATA Card that would work with Pioneer BDR-205BK and Windows 7??

I did check the Pioneer website but the cards listed are old and some are discontinued.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn’t buy VIA or ALI based SATA cards. They come with RAID bios that doesn’t like or even support optical devices.

Silicon Image based cards are cheap and have a good support to HDs and optical devices. Ex. SIL3114 based card ( 4x SATA 1.5Gb/s ) , SIL3132 based card ( 2x SATA 3.0Gb/s )
Silicon Image provide bios for RAID and non RAID application. Choose a non RAID card or update the bios.
http://www.siliconimage.com/

Hi,

indeed, Sata controller cards with Silicon Image chipset are considered to be the most compatible ones. But unfortunately not all Raid cards can be flashed to the (preferred) non-Raid Bios: http://club.myce.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2475535]Hi,

indeed, Sata controller cards with Silicon Image chipset are considered to be the most compatible ones. But unfortunately not all Raid cards can be flashed to the (preferred) non-Raid Bios: http://club.myce.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/

Michael[/QUOTE]

Very true since the large types of programmable ROM chips used in the cards.
This card linked to Ebay is a 4 port SATA 1.5 SIL3114 based that I buy and is flashable from a tab in control panel in windows ( the easiest way I think :bigsmile: ) .

Thank you zhadoom and mciahel for your help. I am a newbie to Blu-ray and this info is greatly appreciated.

If I may, I have one more question. Since I am using an older computer I am a little worried about how slow this Pioneer BDR-205BK will work, not becuase the Pioneer BDR-205BK is slow but the limitations of my old Dell computer and the Pci slot speed is limited to 32bits.

Is there a faster way to connect this blu-ray internnal drive that has a Sata connection ???

Here are the specs for my Dell Demensions XPX Gen 2 computer:

Technical Specifications
Dellâ„¢ Dimensionâ„¢ XPS

Processor

Processor type
Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs 3.2,
Level 1 (L1) cache
8 KB

Level 2 (L2) cache
512-KB or 1-MB pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM

Level 3 (L3) cache
2 MB

NOTE: L3 cache is available only with the Intel Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition 3.20 GHz supporting Hyper-Threading technology.

Memory

Type
400-MHz DDR SDRAM

memory
4 GB

Computer Information

Chip set
Intel 875P

DMA channels
eight

Interrupt levels

BIOS chip
4-Mb

NIC
integrated PCI network interface

System clock
800-MHz data rate

Video

Type
AGP 8X

Video card -Radeon HD 4650

Audio

Type
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card

Connectors
five connectors for line-in, line-out, microphone, surround, and center/Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel

Expansion Bus

Bus type
PCI and AGP

Bus speed
PCI: 33-MHz

AGP: 133-MHz

AGP:

connector
one

connector size
172 pins

connector data width (maximum)
32 bits

bus protocols
8x/4x/2x modes at 1.5 V

PCI:

connector
four

connector size
120 pins

connector data width (maximum)
32 bits

Drives

Externally accessible
one 3.5-inch drive bay

three 5.25-inch drive bays

Available devices
ATA-100 Ultra DMA hard drive, serial ATA drive, CD drive, DVD drive, RAID

Internally accessible
three 3.5-inch drive bays

Connectors

External connectors:

Serial
two 9-pin connectors; 16550C-compatible

Parallel
25-hole connector (bidirectional)

Network adapter
10/100/1000 Ethernet connector

PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
6-pin mini-DIN

USB
two front-panel and six back-panel USB 2.0–compliant connectors

IEEE 1394
one front-panel connector

Audio
one front-panel connector for microphone; one front-panel connector for headphones

System board connectors:

Primary IDE drive
40-pin connector

Secondary IDE drive
40-pin connector

Floppy drive
34-pin connector

Fans (3)
3-pin connector

I/O Panel
34-pin connector

Serial ATA (2)
7-pin connector

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card connectors:

Audio
five connectors for line-in, line-out, microphone, surround, and center/Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel

IEEE 1394
one front-panel 6-pin serial connector; one back-panel 6-pin serial connector

Hi :slight_smile:
You are confusing data transfer with data bandwidth.
Both SiliconeImage PCI cards mentioned earlier will work fine.
I know, I have both.
As for speed whether reading/ripping/burning you will be fine.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2475557]Hi :slight_smile:
You are confusing data transfer with data bandwidth.
Both SiliconeImage PCI cards mentioned earlier will work fine.
I know, I have both.
As for speed whether reading/ripping/burning you will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks zebadee for the helpful information.
I started reading on the internet and saw that it could take up to 24 hours when encoding and started to panic.Lol…

I will purchase one of the SiliconeImage PCI cards mentioned earlier.

Thanks again . :slight_smile:

I finally purchased the Silicone Image SiI3114-PCI to 4 port Sata 150 card.

I did find some Bios flashes for the card on the Silicone Image web site but am a little confused as which flash to use.
From what I have read I need to de Raid the card and I am also using Windows 7.

I found these flashes:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=15&os=0

I beleive this is the one I should use but don’t know if it works for windows 7

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=3&os=4

bottom of page called * SiI3114 non-RAID 32-bit Windows Driver for Vista

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

Hi,

how does your card show up in Bios (POST) or Windows device manager?
If it shows up as Sata[I]Link[/I], then all is fine, no further action required. In case of Sata[I]Raid[/I], you need to flash the IDE Bios.
Make sure, you have a drive attached to the controller and the latest drivers installed (you may check Windows Update also, I’d expect these drivers being compatible). Then just flash the IDE Bios using the “Flash” tab you should find in the properties Window of the controller in Device manager.
For details, please read the instructions you can find on SiI FAQ website (http://www.siliconimage.com/support/faq.aspx#q5), especially the PDF file linked there.

Michael

[QUOTE=blusky1;2476069]I finally purchased the Silicone Image SiI3114-PCI to 4 port Sata 150 card.

I did find some Bios flashes for the card on the Silicone Image web site but am a little confused as which flash to use.
From what I have read I need to de Raid the card and I am also using Windows 7.

I found these flashes:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=15&os=0

I beleive this is the one I should use but don’t know if it works for windows 7

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=3&os=4

bottom of page called * SiI3114 non-RAID 32-bit Windows Driver for Vista

Any help would be greatly appreciated…[/QUOTE]

If your card comes with a RAID bios then do
1st - install the driver of your card. Windows Update may be found one automaticaly.
2nd - with the driver installed download this bios http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI3114_5500.zip and flash it using the option in the tab at device manager
3rd - reboot the computer
4th - reinstall the driver ( or use windows update ) http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3114_x86_w7_1.3.11.0_logo.zip - this is the windows7 driver 32 bits

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=3
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=15

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2476171]If your card comes with a RAID bios then do
1st - install the driver of your card. [/QUOTE]You forgot:
Step 0: Connect a drive to the controller card. If you don’t, the controller is not flashable. :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2476182]You forgot:
Step 0: Connect a drive to the controller card. If you don’t, the controller is not flashable. :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]

:doh: :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Thanks Zhadoom and Mciahel for your help. I have not yet recieved the SiI3114 card yet but should get it in a couple of days. Your posts will help me set it up, thanks.

When you say "Connect a drive to the controller card. If you don’t, the controller is not flashable.

I assume you mean to connect the BDR-205BK burner to the SiI3114 card ??

Thanks again.

I have a bit of a problem here.

Zhadoom I did as you said and installed the PCI serial controller card and the BDR-205BK. When I started the computer and looked in Device manager I saw it said raid config so I went ahead and flashed it usin the tab and used the 5500 file witch was a bin file. I then restarted the computer I noticed that it seemed to try to start up using the PCI serial controller card. I now cannot start up into windows 7.

Any Ideas on how to fix this. I think what I have to do is somehow start up in windows 7 again and delete the 5500 file. I thought this file was for the non-raid configuration??

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to start playing with the BDR-205BK.

[QUOTE=blusky1;2477794]I have a bit of a problem here.

Zhadoom I did as you said and installed the PCI serial controller card and the BDR-205BK. When I started the computer and looked in Device manager I saw it said raid config so I went ahead and flashed it usin the tab and used the 5500 file witch was a bin file. I then restarted the computer I noticed that it seemed to try to start up using the PCI serial controller card. I now cannot start up into windows 7.

Any Ideas on how to fix this. I think what I have to do is somehow start up in windows 7 again and delete the 5500 file. I thought this file was for the non-raid configuration??

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to start playing with the BDR-205BK.[/QUOTE]

In the computer BIOS change the boot order to the internal IDE first. Disable SCSI/RAID boot option if present.

Since you change the bios from RAID to NON-RAID a driver update is needed. Step 4 in my post.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=3

Download this driver and update in device manager. http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3114_x86_w7_1.3.11.0_logo.zip

Thanks zhadoom for your help. I am not at home now but when I get there I will give it a try.

Just wanted to let you know that on my computer Windows 7 boots from a raid 0 configuration which has two hard drives. Don’t know if that makes a difference. It seems that when I go into the configuration in the startup options it is not recongnising the raid o hard drives since it wants to start from the PCI sata Card.

I will give it a try and post back. your help is greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=blusky1;2477925]Thanks zhadoom for your help. I am not at home now but when I get there I will give it a try.

Just wanted to let you know that on my computer Windows 7 boots from a raid 0 configuration which has two hard drives. Don’t know if that makes a difference. It seems that when I go into the configuration in the startup options it is not recongnising the raid o hard drives since it wants to start from the PCI sata Card.

I will give it a try and post back. your help is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

In bios your internal RAID must have precedence to boot over the other devices. If the problem persists try changing the PCI slot the sata card is installed ( maybe a conflict of resources ).

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2477937]In bios your internal RAID must have precedence to boot over the other devices. If the problem persists try changing the PCI slot the sata card is installed ( maybe a conflict of resources ).[/QUOTE]

When I boot the computer now I see the Pci sata card boot before the raid 0 drives boot. I will give it a try this afternoon and post back results. As you said I can always pull out the sata card and go from there.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2477937]In bios your internal RAID must have precedence to boot over the other devices. If the problem persists try changing the PCI slot the sata card is installed ( maybe a conflict of resources ).[/QUOTE]

Well, here is what I did. I tried everything and cannot boot into Windows 7.

I took the PCI sata controller card out. On startup it shows my two raid zero disks. Then it goes into windows error recovery. Launch startup repair, recommended. If I select launch startup repair, it goes into a system recover options and the chioces are
1- use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows. Select an operating system to repair. In the window it does not show an operating system.
2-Resore your computer using a system image you created earlier.

when I select 1 and next I get these chioces:
startup repair
system repair
system image coveryage
windows memory diagnostics
command prompt

If I select startup repair I get startup repair is checking your system for problems. Restart your system to complete the repairs. I now select finish. The computer reboots and I am back to the windows error recovery page.

In the Bios I have these selections:
Drive configuration
Sata Raid on
primary master drive Hard drive
primary slave drive Hard drive
secondary master drive cd-rom drive
secondary slave drive off

ide drive udma

HARD DISK DRIVE SEQUENCE
1-Intel= array
2-system bios boot devices
3-usb devices (not installed)

BOOT SEQUENCE
1- Hard disk drive C
2-=Ide cdrom drive
3-Diskette drive
4- hard disk drive( not installed)

This computer has 2 Hard drives for the raid 0 array and 2 eide hard drives.

In system recovery options when i select load drivers look in computer it shows 4 hard drives:
Backup1 ©
Backup 2 (E)
Local disk ( D)
Boot (X:)

I do not know why its naming backup1 as the C drive. The C drive should be the raid 0 drives. When I explor the boot (X:) drive I see a windows folder so I assume this is my startup drive.

I am totally lost as to how to get windows 7 to boot up again.

No guess about what happened to your system. :frowning:
The sata pci card cannot change anything on intel raid.