Pioneer bdr-205 bluray burner $119 free shipping

vbimport

pioneer bdr-205 bluray burner $119 free shipping at mwave

PIONEER BDR-205 / BDR-205BKS SATA 12X Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Computer Writer with Software (Brown box)

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?px=MP&scriteria=AA75924#aStockNote

I bought one 6 mos. ago for over $200. This is an excellent bluray burner at a great price.

Would be an alright deal if it came with any software to play back movies but that
is an extra expense that has to be added on top of what the drive costs already. :frowning: :doh:

[QUOTE=getit29;2552027]Would be an alright deal if it came with any software to play back movies but that
is an extra expense that has to be added on top of what the drive costs already. :frowning: :doh:[/QUOTE]

It’s still a great deal. I use Media Player Classic -Home Cinema and Splashlite to play bluray movies even though I have PowerDVD that came with it. They are both free, and there are others too if you look. I think VLC will play bluray nowadays too.

Compared to NewEgg & others, that a great deal… it’s about time pioneer started cutting the price. Lg burners have been at $99- $120 for a few weeks now… so a $40-$60 price drop to maintain market share was inevitable. Assuming this trend continues, by Q2 2011 most blue ray burners will be below $100 even for 12x…

Still, the big wild card is a significant price drop and ramping up of production for blue ray media, which hasn’t happened yet. In the consumer’s mind dvd is still a better value. Lower prices can begin to change that with $10 commerical blue ray discs and below $1 blanks. Hopefully it won’t take until late 2011 or 2012 to get there. Somebody gotta smack the MPAA around and get the consumers lower prices for blue ray.

it’s gone :sad:

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2552292]
Still, the big wild card is a significant price drop and ramping up of production for blue ray media, which hasn’t happened yet. In the consumer’s mind dvd is still a better value. Lower prices can begin to change that with $10 commerical blue ray discs and below $1 blanks. Hopefully it won’t take until late 2011 or 2012 to get there. Somebody gotta smack the MPAA around and get the consumers lower prices for blue ray.[/QUOTE]

The additional big problem is that there are still a large number of people with old standard def TVs out there that see no reason to change. You can still see the benefits of DVD on a standard def TV, the same is not true with blu-ray and although the number of LCDs in households is steadily growing it’s still not to the point where there are enough of them for people to truly switch everything from DVD to Blu-Ray. The other problem to add to the mix is that most movie companies are not consistent with their picture quality. I would say that approximately 50-60% of the blu-ray titles offer precious little over a DVD played on a decent quality up-converting player. If all of them would use the maximum PQ, enhancement details, etc. then people might be more willing to pay the extra for Blu-Ray over DVD. As such only about 20-25% of Blu-Ray titles out there really blow away the DVD version with stunning picture quality. I know that is a little bit off in terms of recordable blu-ray but I think it all ties in since it involves people buying into the technology. That and Blu-Ray burners are more limited in applications, thus far I have only been able to come up with 3 things that you can do with a Blu-Ray burner:

1. Movie Back-ups

2. Data back-ups (although the practicality of this really isn’t there as a flash drive is far more practical and versitle and they can be purchased in about the same capacity)

3. PS3 back-ups (for those in the modding world who use this feature)

The DVD Burner on the other hand is far more versatile (and significantly cheaper)

1. Movie back-ups

2. Data back-ups (although I agree the flash drive once again would be more practical in most cases these days)

3. XBOX/XBOX 360, PS2, Wii (and all of the old CD based systems as well) back-ups for those in the console modding world

Now I recognize that the Blu-Ray burner can handle everything a DVD Burner can, I’m just saying that most people find that a Blu-Ray burner doesn’t offer enough extra options to merit the extra cost. This is one of the reasons why I have never upgraded to one (that and with all of the deals I keep finding on originals, the expense of a blu-ray burner and blank blu-ray discs for the purpose of backups usually doesn’t save much money).

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2554886]The additional big problem is that there are still a large number of people with old standard def TVs out there that see no reason to change. You can still see the benefits of DVD on a standard def TV, the same is not true with blu-ray and although the number of LCDs in households is steadily growing it’s still not to the point where there are enough of them for people to truly switch everything from DVD to Blu-Ray. The other problem to add to the mix is that most movie companies are not consistent with their picture quality. I would say that approximately 50-60% of the blu-ray titles offer precious little over a DVD played on a decent quality up-converting player. If all of them would use the maximum PQ, enhancement details, etc. then people might be more willing to pay the extra for Blu-Ray over DVD. As such only about 20-25% of Blu-Ray titles out there really blow away the DVD version with stunning picture quality. I know that is a little bit off in terms of recordable blu-ray but I think it all ties in since it involves people buying into the technology. That and Blu-Ray burners are more limited in applications, thus far I have only been able to come up with 3 things that you can do with a Blu-Ray burner:

1. Movie Back-ups

2. Data back-ups (although the practicality of this really isn’t there as a flash drive is far more practical and versitle and they can be purchased in about the same capacity)

3. PS3 back-ups (for those in the modding world who use this feature)

The DVD Burner on the other hand is far more versatile (and significantly cheaper)

1. Movie back-ups

2. Data back-ups (although I agree the flash drive once again would be more practical in most cases these days)

3. XBOX/XBOX 360, PS2, Wii (and all of the old CD based systems as well) back-ups for those in the console modding world

Now I recognize that the Blu-Ray burner can handle everything a DVD Burner can, I’m just saying that most people find that a Blu-Ray burner doesn’t offer enough extra options to merit the extra cost. This is one of the reasons why I have never upgraded to one (that and with all of the deals I keep finding on originals, the expense of a blu-ray burner and blank blu-ray discs for the purpose of backups usually doesn’t save much money).[/QUOTE]

I basically agree most of your ideas, except flash is but ONE technology… blue ray is going to have to compete with hard drives, online storage and future mediums to be devleoped. Density of hard drives are far outpacing blue ray with about 60:1 capacity densities. The blue ray industry should be working on an extra density format as soon as possible which will be backwards compatible to what they have… or else other technologies and standards are all vying to overtake them- not just flash.

Another thing, once those old analog sets die off, you can not really find much of any new CRT tv/monitors being built anymore, 98-99% of the market is now lcd, plasma, led display technology. That’s what they will HAVE TO BUY in the future. Once these holdouts are in the brick and moratar stores… it’s most likely they will be upsold a tv with one of the following: built in (or stand-alone) disc player (blue ray), flash media inputs, and/or wired/wireless streaming technologies built into the set. Blue Ray will not be alone in that upsell they will have to compete on price & the convenience factor in the future.

IMO, the reasons for blue ray pricing drops are simple: DIRT CHEAP HARD DRIVES & streaming media-- sure, laugh and mock the reliability factor all you want, but at such a low price per density… redundant arrays will become the norm rather than the exception. Should we entrust valueable data to one technology/medium? perhaps not, but until the other technologies become cost effective.

Fair enough on those things. I did forget to add that at this point you are pretty much stuck buying an LCD, Plasma, or LED if you replace your TV, heck even a Wal-Mart in a smaller lower income town that is nearby has completely phased out all CRTs. They had one model for a while but they have since phased it out. However, the flip-side is that some of those old CRTs are beasts and will last forever. My parents have an old 19" Sony Trinitron that they purchased new in 1988 that is still going strong.

For the record, Supermediastore is now offering the 205 for $125 w/free shipping. Still a pretty good price.
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/pioneer-bdr-205bks-12x-sata-blu-ray-disc-dvd-cd-burner-black?utm_source=emailSonic&utm_content=Media&utm_medium=campaign&utm_term=HD%20002%203477&utm_campaign=101111%20INSTANT%20SAVINGS!%2048HR%20DEALS!

The new bdr-206 is already shipping at mwave for $119. No free shipping though. So for about $5 more with shipping to most places you can get the newer model.

[QUOTE=ricoman;2556411]For the record, Supermediastore is now offering the 205 for $125 w/free shipping. Still a pretty good price.
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/pioneer-bdr-205bks-12x-sata-blu-ray-disc-dvd-cd-burner-black?utm_source=emailSonic&utm_content=Media&utm_medium=campaign&utm_term=HD%20002%203477&utm_campaign=101111%20INSTANT%20SAVINGS!%2048HR%20DEALS![/QUOTE]

thanks for the info ricoman :slight_smile:
already got two 10X LG but this is 12X…hmmm
think little more

I’m stil betting that blue ray drive will have another price cut in 2011… hopefully Jan-March.
With gasoline over $3 a gallon this year that’s going to put a crimp on the holiday shopping with many people. Besides, I won’t have a storage problem until I fill up a 1tb hard drive first (over 500gb to go!!)