PIONEER BDR-203 tdk bd-r dl incompatible media message?

vbimport

Hi guys just bought some tdk bd-r dl 50 gig disks and i cant write to them as it says incompatible media ? im on firmware 1.13 ? any ideas please

thanks

Why didnt you check this first?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDR203_MediaSpeeds.pdf

Compare the MID of your discs with this:
http://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/pdf/BDR203_FW113.pdf

thanks for that i bought TDK but looks like there just labeled up as them

http://www.optical-disc.co.uk/acatalog/BLU_RAY_50GB_Double_Layer_Discs.html

So guess ill have to be more observant next time and compare the lists you link too .

cheers

Yeah, you need to be careful with older drives.

havnt really used it much probably 20 times lol and cost a fortune when i bought it new , but been looking at the Pioneer BDR-S07XLT 50GB which seems cheap compared to what i paid for the 203 , and with prices of bdr affordable now looks as if ill have to upgrade or buy the more expensive media , cant really find any 50gig bdr media in the uk unless its been sold at silly prices though .

thanks for your reply

Get a real 207.

i thought the BDR-S07XLT was better than a 207 ??

Basic 207, yes. However, the 207M/207E support BDXL; according to some, not all S07XLT support BDXL (I’m not quite sure how that works). It’s not necessary to get a drive that supports BDXL yet, as there is very little of said media out there.

ahh cheers for that how do you tell if the s07xlt will ?

thanks

been looking and i think this is the model i should be going for then for future use Pioneer BDR-207EBK

just been reading its the japan version of the s07xlt thats meant to support bdxl which is a bit odd ? but didnt realise theres so many different 207’s think ill get the 207mbk now lol

Well, checking a “Supported media” list for the European S07XLT doesn’t list BDXL as being an option, which is fairly definitive. The few passing references to the drive supporting BDXL, or it may be a regional feature difference; the Japanese version of the S07XLT is said to support BDXL, as you pointed out (which, knowing the way different companies put out slightly different products, makes sense).

Overall, though, it would just be easier to stick with what you know supports BDXL, which in your case appears to be the 207E or 207M (depends on what’s available in your region).

there both available to buy and the price difference is very small but some retailers have the 207e with out the software

( http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/opticaldrives/bluray/pioneer/ )

so infact its a 207m i wonder how many people have actually not known there was a difference between all the 207 models and have bought the basic model with out knowing all the differences .

[QUOTE=Albert;2656421]Well, checking a “Supported media” list for the European S07XLT doesn’t list BDXL as being an option, which is fairly definitive. The few passing references to the drive supporting BDXL, or it may be a regional feature difference; the Japanese version of the S07XLT is said to support BDXL, as you pointed out (which, knowing the way different companies put out slightly different products, makes sense).
[/QUOTE]

I don’t think the Japanese BDR-S07XLT supports BDXL either … well at least not according to this page: http://pioneer.jp/bdd/products/bdr_s07xlt_t/index.html
Besides, I don’t think Pioneer would produce two different drives with exactly the same identifier, even if manufactured for different regional markets…

I think there might be some confusion between the BDR-S07XL[B]T[/B] and the BDR-S07XL[B]B[/B]. The latter (which uses the same kernel as the BDR-S07J) supports BDXL.

The BDR-S07XLT seems to be a ‘posh bezel’ version of the BDR-207D …

Thank you for clearing that up, cvs. :flower:

No 207XLT drive does support writing BD-R/RE XL.
Have not seen an XLB drive, but they really do support BD XL.

In doubt, you can check the ID with eg. dvrflash.

i just got some optical quantum dl and get the exact msg on a bdr203 using firmware 1.13. besides buying a new burner, is there anything that can be done?

thanks

[QUOTE=m00sehead;2662544]i just got some optical quantum dl and get the exact msg on a bdr203 using firmware 1.13. besides buying a new burner, is there anything that can be done?

thanks[/QUOTE]

Nope, there’s nothing you can do other than waiting for a firmware update… given that this drive is now a few generations old, it is perfectly possible that there might not be another firmware update release for this drive …

What’s the MID of this media?

Given that Optical Quantum typically tends to be cheap, low quality media, which is likely to burn poorly on any burner, irrespective if the MID is supported or not, if you care about the life of your data, you should seriously think buying better quality media, rather than necessarily buying another burner … and avoid LTH media too!

Buying another burner is not a guarantee that you’ll be able to burn this media well, decently or at all … depending on how poor its quality is…

[QUOTE=cvs;2662551]Nope, there’s nothing you can do other than waiting for a firmware update… given that this drive is now a few generations old, it is perfectly possible that there might not be another firmware update release for this drive …

What’s the MID of this media?

Given that Optical Quantum typically tends to be cheap, low quality media, which is likely to burn poorly on any burner, irrespective if the MID is supported or not, if you care about the life of your data, you should seriously think buying better quality media, rather than necessarily buying another burner … and avoid LTH media too!

Buying another burner is not a guarantee that you’ll be able to burn this media well, decently or at all … depending on how poor its quality is…[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply. unfortunately i dont know what the MID is. i usually buy TDK media but saw that these were cheap so i figure i try them. this last firmware for the bdr203 was written in 2010 and i find it unlikely pioneer will write another for this. anyway, like you said this burner is a few generations old and its probably time for a new one anyway. im going to take your advise and steer clear of optical quantums dl disks.

thanks again

[QUOTE=m00sehead;2662570]thanks for the reply. unfortunately i dont know what the MID is. i usually buy TDK media but saw that these were cheap so i figure i try them. this last firmware for the bdr203 was written in 2010 and i find it unlikely pioneer will write another for this. anyway, like you said this burner is a few generations old and its probably time for a new one anyway. im going to take your advise and steer clear of optical quantums dl disks.

thanks again[/QUOTE]

You can easily find out what the MID of any disc is by using DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/). It works for both DVDs and BD-R/RW discs.

[QUOTE=cvs;2662588]You can easily find out what the MID of any disc is by using DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/). It works for both DVDs and BD-R/RW discs.[/QUOTE]

hi

i just tried that dvd identifier. unfortunately, it cannot identify the disk.
all it says is incompatible media installed.

That Quatum DL media must have an unsupported and not wellspread MID.

Either you can buy better (supported) media or just a newer BR drive.