Pioneer BDR-203 Speed and Problems

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Combo Drive. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey, first time poster and long time reader on here at CDFreaks.

I recently picked up a Pioneer BDR-203 from NewEgg when they dropped in price the other day. I ahve been reading a whole lot about them, especially about the speeds that the drive is supposed to be getting.

Firstly, I own AnyDVD HD and base most of my findings off of it. During ripping to an .img file from a Blu-Ray Disc, in this instance The Transporter, I only get 4.40MB/s constant speed. This takes around 90 minutes to rip one single file.

I also attempted to use ImgBurn to rip to an .img file, and there I got up to 8MB/s speed, but no where near the 15-19MB/s I have seen other users here on CDFreaks get with this drive. And yes, I let the image finish creating, so I wasn’t basing my findings off of the first 15 minutes of ripping.

My next problem is when I attempt to flash the BDR-203 up to the 1.10 firmware in hopes of getting better recording speeds. When I attempt to launch the BR-203.exe from the firmware update I downloaded, it gives me a message stating that “Available target is not found.” The command line shows that it’s using ODD Firmware Update Utility Ver2.59B

Here are some specs on my system if that will help.

Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
Pioneer BDR-203 1.05 firmware from the factory
Intel i7 920 @ 3.4GHz
6GB DDR3 1600
Gigabyte EX58-UD5

I could go into further detail, but I believe that should be enough to get started with. Any help on this situation would be great.

I used the firmware here without issue:

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/cgi-bin/www1/download/file_get_e2.pl?file=BDR-203_FW110EU.ZIP

Is this what you are using? I also got my drive from Newegg – it is from Pioneer Europe, Beligum rather than being a US box so I’m not sure what you received.

That is the exact firmware that I’m trying to use, and mine also was not a US Retail package. It was the brown box you were speaking of.

I think it’s coming down to something in my system, possibly Windows as I didn’t find anything in my BIOS settings that would be limiting SATA performance. The drive itself shows up as a Pioneer drive in device manager too.

Last night after some further testing I was able to burn some of the 2-4x Memorex ( really RiData ) BD-R’s I picked up from fry’s at 5.5x, even if ImgBurn said the supported write speeds for that media were 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x and I manually set it on 8x.

I know it’s not the transfer rate of my HDD’s because I moved the images around from one HDD to another and saw 100+MB/s transfer speed between my HDD’s.

Does anyone think a fresh install of Windows might help?

EDIT: On a whim I decided to boot into my Windows 7 install to see how that would work. I was able to flash just fine, so I’m going to see if I can’t rip another Blu-Ray fairly quickly with it too.

I hate to double post, but it wouldn’t let me edit after so long.

After flashing the new firmware the drive has stopped appearing in Windows 7 device manager, Disk Management and My Computer.

On a lighter note though, it still appears in my BIOS and in Vista 64, and ImgBurn sees that it’s now firmware 1.10.

Any DVD now rips at a constant speed of 4.43MB/s instead of 4.40 and ImgBurn is still about the same speed, 8-9MB/s.

I suppose I will attempt reformatting my Vista partition later this evening to see if that has any effect on how things go, unless anyone here has any better ideas for me at the moment.

You may want to try the things mentioned in this post.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/just-received-pioneer-bdr-203bk-oem-newegg-havin-issue-266368/#post2222643

I was having a similar problem with BD read speeds and that seemed to solve it for the moment. What does your burst rate show?

[QUOTE=Jake030;2237666]You may want to try the things mentioned in this post.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/just-received-pioneer-bdr-203bk-oem-newegg-havin-issue-266368/#post2222643

I was having a similar problem with BD read speeds and that seemed to solve it for the moment. What does your burst rate show?[/QUOTE]

After trying that, Nero CD-DVD/Speed gave me a constant 2.06x speed all the way through. Never went down, and only went up to 2.07 for a couple of seconds here and there.

[QUOTE=WillDenham;2237808]After trying that, Nero CD-DVD/Speed gave me a constant 2.06x speed all the way through. Never went down, and only went up to 2.07 for a couple of seconds here and there.[/QUOTE]

My Burst Rate at the end is 35MB/s

[quote=WillDenham;2237829]My Burst Rate at the end is 35MB/s[/quote]Burst rate seems fine.

Few questions for troubleshooting:

• Which SATA port the drive is connected to? Since the last four SATA ports on the mobo (GSATA2_0 through 3) use JMB323 chipset. If the drive is connected to one of these ports, try to move to one of the six Intel SATA, eq SATA2_0 through 5.
  • What is your SATA configuration in BIOS (RAID, AHCI, IDE)?
  • Did you enable AnyDVD HD when you run the Nero CDSpeed benchmark?
  • Which media did you test (BD-R/RE, BD-ROM, or DL?)?
  • Have you tried to playback a Blu-ray movie? How is the result (good, skips, etc)?

Let us know. :wink:

[QUOTE=zevia;2237875]Burst rate seems fine.

Few questions for troubleshooting:

• Which SATA port the drive is connected to? Since the last four SATA ports on the mobo (GSATA2_0 through 3) use JMB323 chipset. If the drive is connected to one of these ports, try to move to one of the six Intel SATA, eq SATA2_0 through 5.
  • What is your SATA configuration in BIOS (RAID, AHCI, IDE)?
  • Did you enable AnyDVD HD when you run the Nero CDSpeed benchmark?
  • Which media did you test (BD-R/RE, BD-ROM, or DL?)?
  • Have you tried to playback a Blu-ray movie? How is the result (good, skips, etc)?

Let us know. ;)[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and re-formatted my main Vista partition last night with a fresh copy of Vista 64, since I’d been having some driver conflict problems since I upgraded from my ATI 2900XT to an nVidia GTX295. I also had a few problems with some software I use for work, so I killed a lot of birds with one stone here.

Most importantly though, at least for this topic, is that my Pioneer seems to be working perfectly now! As you can see I got a max of 7.32x on a 19.48GB BD-R that I had created the other day with this same drive.

My only question about this is why 4x would use more then 8x CPU wise. It barley dented my CPU, but still quirky to me.

And also, my burst rate went up by 4MB in this test, and yes this is the SAME disc that I was using for the other test that only netted me a 2.07x, and AnyDVD seems to be ripping at 15-18MB/s now.

Thanks!

EDIT: And to clear up for you, Zevia, I am using the Gigabyte JMB323 chipset for this device. My Intel chipset is taken up by my 6 HDD’s, which I didn’t want to disturb my RAID settings. This is Memorex 2x-4x media I bought from Fry’s, which is really Ritek discs.

Also, playback even before my reformat was totally fine, no skips or freezing at all.

Well I believe this has now turned into a software problem. I went to install Alcohol 120% which I use for some virtual disk mounting, and suddenly my problem is back. Now, after I’ve uninstalled Alcohol it appears the problem ahs stuck around again.

If Alcohol installs the SPTD driver then that may be it. I had problems with it and Daemon Tools so I uninstalled both. Since Daemon didn’t uninstall SPTD I had to delete the dll file itself and that solved my problems. Since then I use Virtual Clone Drive by Slysoft which is free.

I’ll look into doing a full clean sweep of Alcohol later then. I didn’t see it’s virtual chipset listed in Device Manager or it’s drive there anymore either, so I’ll have to go the .dll route I think. Thanks for the information, Jake!

Then again, it might be quicker for me to reformat since all I have installed is AnyDVD and AIM :iagree:

Update: It was the SPDF driver that was causing the problems. Found an uninstaller for it, and instantly my speeds returned. Suppose I’ll have to refrain from using Alcohol 120% now.