Pioneer A06 / 106D warning

Something isn’t right, my 106D is burning +Rs with no problems. But again I use Nero 6. :bow:

could anyone try this possible solution out for me? (as I said I am out of that type of media)

Originally posted by MadBob
Could you also try unchecking the Writer in the left click menu (in anyDVD), I would be interested to know if this sorts your problem out, as long as you have seperate DVD and DVR you could only use AnyDVD on the reader.

What versions of anyDVD and cloneDVD are you both using?

I have a A06U and it also does not burn proper with + R media. I am using DVDXcopy(gold) and have only burnt coasters while using +R media. -R = No Problems at all. I think its the drive! Not the software.
Just my 2 cents worth

Originally posted by WarezRat
I have a A06U and it also does not burn proper with + R media. I am using DVDXcopy(gold) and have only burnt coasters while using +R media. -R = No Problems at all. I think its the drive! Not the software.
Just my 2 cents worth

the only way it can be the drive is if the drive is faulty. There a no inherent or known problems with the 106/A06 and +R media that can be attributed to the drive.

cheers
Nicw
author dvdinfopro

I realize, it is not the “hardware”. If it is software specific, then from the posts I have read, pretty much all software has this bug with the drive. Could it not be in the “firmware” of the drive?

I realize, it is not the “hardware”. If it is software specific, then from the posts I have read, pretty much all software has this bug with the drive. Could it not be in the “firmware” of the drive?

Although it does seem to be a common problem, it doesnt seem to affect all drives as n icw’s drive writes dvd+r fine. I think thats the reason he says its specific to software. Personally I find the problem pretty strange as it does seem quite widespread now. Has anyone contacted pioneer about it? Maybe its a bad batch of 106s or something? Either way I dont think the problem is going to be easy to diagnose!

Out of interest WarezRat, do you plan to return the drive or take any action over this problem?

Originally posted by slysy
Although it does seem to be a common problem, it doesnt seem to affect all drives as n icw’s drive writes dvd+r fine. I think thats the reason he says its specific to software. Personally I find the problem pretty strange as it does seem quite widespread now. Has anyone contacted pioneer about it? Maybe its a bad batch of 106s or something? Either way I dont think the problem is going to be easy to diagnose!

What firmware are you all using? I am using v1.06

I have tested burns with a few different +R media and tested with Nero 6, Record Now V4.5 etc and simply cannot fault the burns.

Maybe its time to start listing MID codes of the media and what it was burned with, I expect we may be getting some exaggeration here.

cheers
nicw

Originally posted by slysy
Out of interest WarezRat, do you plan to return the drive or take any action over this problem?
Not at this time, but am going to contact pioneer and see what they say about it. It is a strange problem that cost disc’s and I have burnt enough + coasters to keep away untill there is a fix, for now though I am using R- and have not burnt a single coaster!

Not at this time, but am going to contact pioneer and see what they say about it. It is a strange problem that cost disc’s and I have burnt enough + coasters to keep away untill there is a fix, for now though I am using R- and have not burnt a single coaster!

How are you folks determining faulty +R burns?

In the burner? in a dvd player? Start making lists guys or the whole point of this is useless, I have a direct contact to the Pioneer engineers. You all keep saying fail fail but no-one is giving any info.

List computer spec.
burner, firmware rev
program used
how the result was tested lising model and firmware of test readers.
media MID code
and whatever else you can think of. I will pass this information on and try to find a common denominator.

I mailed all of the 106 / A06 users on my list and the replies I have had so far not one can duplicate your problems on the media they have.

cheers
nicw
www.dvdinfpro.com

Originally posted by n icw
[B]How are you folks determining faulty +R burns?

In the burner? in a dvd player? Start making lists guys or the whole point of this is useless, I have a direct contact to the Pioneer engineers. You all keep saying fail fail but no-one is giving any info.

List computer spec.
burner, firmware rev
program used
media MID code
and whatever else you can think of. I will pass this information on and try to find a common denominator.

I mailed all of the 106 / A06 users on my list and the replies I have had so far not one can duplicate your problems on the media they have.

cheers
nicw
www.dvdinfpro.com [/B]
AMD Ath 1.4 GhZ 512 RAM 64MB Video - Burner is Pioneer DVR-A06U Latest Firmware - DVD X Copy GOLD using both Xpress AND Xcopy (same results) Media = Memorex 4X DVD+R - Tried to backup Starwars, Attack of clones and K19 The widowmaker with R+, no go Both unreadable in The A06u and both my DVD players - Sony DVP-NS325 Multi format player, latest firmware. And a Goldstar (el Cheapo model but works great). I did manage to burn 1 R+ Disc that works in all players though, I used Memorex 4X media - “Basic” is the Movie that works - Xcopy Express so all setting were the same. Hope this helps

[B]How are you folks determining faulty +R burns?

List computer spec.
burner, firmware rev
program used
media MID code

cheers
nicw
www.dvdinfpro.com [/B]

Spec: NFORCE2 mobo, Athlon 2800+, 1GB DDR, 120GB HD, Radeon 9700 pro, SB Audigy 2, XP home

Burner: Pioneer DVR-106 Firmware 1.05 (the original firmware)

Program used: CloneDVD 1.1.7.1, AnyDVD 1.4.4.1 (At the original time of fault, both have since been upgraded tho, but I cant retest currently due to lack of +R media)

How tested: Tried to backup several films. Tested in DVD burner, DVD rom and Playstation 2. None of these can even read the disc whatsoever.

Media MID code: How do I find this? I am using Arita 4x DVD+R (Ritek dye)

[B]

the problem then lies elsewhere. I am troubled that you think the cloneDVD is the “best” copier out there. That is far from a fact yet, and given the few tests done by a few users over the last 24 hours certainly seems to show it being problematic.

The most compatible software at this point in time you can suggest for you customers to burn with is Record Now, this has come from an uncountable number of tests.

As for the rip software dvdshrink would seem to be a good alternative, just as easy to use if not easier, does not require rip first as cloneDVD does and gives more options.

tests will continue of course.

cheers
nicw [/B]

Nic, you’re right.

I tried to copy a DVD using DVDshrink (version 3 - beta 5) and burnt it with Recordnow DX on the same media (FUJIFILM +R), and it works fine, at least on the burner ! I will check at home if the copy plays on my player.

So, it seems to me that it’s a software problem (occuring with CloneDVD or Nero and the 106D/A06), not a hardware one.
Frightening anyway: these two programs have never showed any problems with the Sony DRU and NEC 1300A we’ve sold so far, so I guess there is something in the firmware of the 106D that makes them to behave in a strange way when burning a +R media.

I hope Olli will read this and check his program. I’ve sent to Elby last week a text file with the enhanced disc information provided by Nero 6 (hold shift + ctrl while cliking on the refresh button of Disc info) of an unusable disc copied with CloneDVD. I hope they will be able to fix the problem.

Thanks all for your help.

Take care.

Not had any issues with the one DVD+RW which I’ve tried on my 106 not used any DVD+Rs yet.

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multimedia/software/dvrup/dvr-a06up/about_r6ta.htm

I have made my DVD library backups, not a big one but a dear one, I burned 50-60 DVDs on Memorex and Verbatium DVD+Rs 4x, not a single problem. All burns were made with Nero6. Not one coaster, not one unreadable disc. All DVD+Rs and were burned at 4x. Not one problem. I love Pioneer, that is why I spent extra $50 on 106D when I could have gotten A05 or similar, it is called reliability. It pays off nicely. Being flexible with media +/- is a nice thing too.

I think that people who have problems with the drive should take it out and try on the other machine. Or they should use another burning program. It is known that some programs have problems with specific drives time to time.

regarding your problem , i suggest you try other software other than clonedvd it has its problems ,I have stopped using clonedvd because of the coasters it has spewed out I will tell you what software i use and i no longer get coasters.
I use a program from slysoft called Anydvd which negates the copywrite and then use dvd shrink version 3 beta 5 to make the image and i burn the program using copytodvd ,I also use dvd-decryptor to decrypt the css copy write. if you need any further info on where to get this software send me an email

Not sure if this is the same problem or not as it does not have anything to do with CloneDVD. I have been burning with DVD-R’s since I got my A06u/106d and have had no problems at all. I just tried my first copy to a DVD+R. Its an HP DVD+R (C8009A). I used DVD X Copy Xpress. When finished I took the disc out and went to try it on my JVC player and it wouldn’t read… so I figured that it couldn’t read +R’s. Then I put the disc back into my Pioneer and it won’t even recognize it. I can’t even use windows explorer on my drive, it just give me an ‘invalid function’ popup.
Do you think this is just a problem with the particular type of media I used (hp dvd+r) ?
I just got the drive a few days ago and I know its supposed to handle -r’s and +r’s but if that first test was any indication then I may have some problems here.
Any idea’s??

Thanks

Its always a good idea to have a DVD PLAYER that reads +/- dvd disks ,yes it could be your brand of disk, it has happened to me when i used imation disks as well as go tech disks.
I think most dvd players will play the top brands, such as TDK ,SONY, SHINTARO DVD DISKS WERENT TO BAD ,EVEN PIONEER DISKS…ETC. I use TDK and SHINTARO.
Unfortunately some disks will not be compatible with your unit or your player.
I dont know how old your dvd player is but it is possible it isnt compatible with +dvd’s.

Try this also go to www.dvdshrink.com and dload dvdshrink :wink: use this program to re-auther and shrink the movie to your hdd then use nero to burn it or coptodvd.

ps what version of dvdxcopy have you got

My JVC DVD player is about 2 years old. (Manual says compatible with DVD VCD CD MP3’s but doesn’t specify +r or -r).
Since my last post I’ve managed to try the disc on 4 different DVD players including a Toshiba a Hitachi and 2 Sony’s. It won’t play on any of them.
However I would like to point out that the disc now plays fine in the pioneer drive. In case my last post seemed to put down Pioneer I want to make that clear. I am new to this and continue to learn, but this seems strange to me… like I said in my other post that Windows Explorer couldn’t even read the disc and now it can. All I installed is ULead DVD Player! In the read me for Power DVD it said DVD-R compatible but made no mention of DVD+R which is why I installed ULead. ULead played the disc fine… whats odd at least to me is what does that have to do with Windows Explorer? I understand that I would have to have +R compatible software to play the movie but the drive itself is +R Compatible which means I should have been at least able to view which files were on the disc before installing ULead… is my reasoning appropriate? Bottom line is that I’m glad it works now but I’d like to know the how’s and why’s of it all.
With regards to the JVC Player… no biggie… I will try a couple other brands of +R’s and verify 100% that its not just that particular brand of disc and that it is just not able to read +r’s. If thats the case then I will just continue on backing up movies with -r’s… at least till I get a new player, but then I will make sure it can read them both… the articles floating around tend to weigh on the side of +r’s eventually being a clear leader… who knows…