Pioneer A05 -> which 2x/4x media?

I’m about to go out and buy a Pioneer A05, but the only thing holding me back is the question about which media to buy with it.

I’ve searched and read the FAQ and came up with this list of safe DVD-R’s:

Mitsubishi, Verbatim, Mitsui, Maxell, Pioneer, TDK, Matsushita, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Prodisc

Since DVD-R’s are pretty hard to buy in regular shops here I want to be reasonable sure that the DVD-R’s I’m going to order are good.

The real questions are:

• Is that above list still accurate?
  • What is better supported in standalone DVD players: DVD-R or DVD+R (too many results with google, and most contradict eachother).
  • Most good brand discs (like Verbatim) are pretty expensive (3 euro or higher), which of the good brands are in general the cheapest?
  • Are there affordable/reliable 4x media available?

Hmmm, let’s see. Probably the cheapest priced media of the list you have there would be TDK or Maxell. Possibly Prodisc. I use Ritek G04 dvd-r media on my Pioneer A05 with FW 1.21 and the results are awesome. they will burn at 1,2,4x perfectly.

@Kwark: The list you have quoted is only about 2x discs. Thus, Ritek G04 are naturally not in the list…

I just got my Pioneer 105 in today, and I’m shopping around for media. Any idea where these Riteks can be found in the UK?

Gobama05, are these Riteks good for stand alone DVD players? Are they reasonably priced? I bought a few cheap “Bulkpaq 2x” to try some stuff out with, and they are not the best…my toshiba 220 doesn’t like them, maybe try 1x.

Thanks

Not sure where in the U.K. Have you tried digitalpromo I think is the name of the site. I live in the US, but yes Ritek discs are good and the 4x (Ritek G04) are going for $1.75 a piece which ain’t bad and plus they work at 4x on the Pioneer A05/105 Hope this helps and happy burning :smiley:

Thanks, I ordered up 10 “Datawrite 4x” which are supposidly Ritek gen4. These bulkpaq discs are freakin awful :frowning:

Yep, the Datawrites are very good, got 50 Bulkpaq (green top) Gen 4 and they are RUBBISH :Z really bad and havn’t managed a good burn yet with these. Just burned 10 with Datawrites no worries.

For online dealers look for SVP at

:cool:

Traxdata 4x DVD-R media works perfect with Pioneer DVR-105/A05

/Dyzan

Be careful with TraxData. The last TraxData I have seen were Vivastar :Z

So don’t buy too many of them at once…you could regret it! (but I guess that TraxData 4x are Ritek G04, so they should work)

Jepp alexnoe,

They are 4x and they works good.

/Dyzan

Keep us posted on your results using the Ritek 4x discs. I need to order a spindle of 100, the 25 pack I ordered went like the wind. It’s back to 1x for me at the moment on crappy Princo’s :Z

From your list "Mitsubishi, Verbatim, Mitsui, Maxell, Pioneer, TDK, Matsushita, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Prodisc "

I have used the follow with these results

Verbatium 2x - Minor Pixelization with Panasonic Stand Alone with most discs and recently noticed a light fogging appearing on the recording surface of 3+ month old disc. Everyone else seems to swear buy them so could be a bad batch (bought them all from the same place)

Maxell 2x - So Far works perfect everytime

Pioneer 2x - Worked good but only tried the one that came with my first burner.

TDK 2x - Untested but just checked the manufature info and it’s a Maxell (not sure if this is always the case)

TDK make their own (quality) discs, so it’s weird that they sell Maxell.

If your player shows pixelation on Verbatim, then you can be sure that your player is rather picky with media. A friend of mine has a Panasonic RV32, and it is bad, concerning media compatibility. I can verify that this one does not play Verbatim discs perfectly either. Could you try some crap discs on this player? Usually, Princo, Vivastar or the such should not work at all ;p

I haven’t seen any fog on my Verbatims, though. My oldest one is now 14 months

Originally posted by MickeyNBK
[B]From your list "Mitsubishi, Verbatim, Mitsui, Maxell, Pioneer, TDK, Matsushita, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Prodisc "

I have used the follow with these results

Verbatium 2x - Minor Pixelization with Panasonic Stand Alone with most discs and recently noticed a light fogging appearing on the recording surface of 3+ month old disc. Everyone else seems to swear buy them so could be a bad batch (bought them all from the same place)

Maxell 2x - So Far works perfect everytime

Pioneer 2x - Worked good but only tried the one that came with my first burner.

TDK 2x - Untested but just checked the manufature info and it’s a Maxell (not sure if this is always the case) [/B]

lo all.mickeynbk u say the pioneer2x worked good and the verbatim pixelated ,now im told mcc/verbatim make pioneer 2x and are the same disc ,could u do a dvdinfo check,and post the results
cheers