Pioneer A05 Burn time help!

vbimport

I am using the 4X DVD-R media purchased from ESBUY.COM… It works fine except one thing… the burn time is 30 minutes… which is burning in the speed of 2x.

Nero reported it’s burning at 4X… but takes 30 minutes…

I have upgrade to the newest firmware 1.30 and still does the samething…

I have tried several IDE cable, ATA33 and ATA100… it does not help resolve this problem.

My Computer setup is

MSI 645E Max-U
Pentium IV 2.4GHz 533FSB
Maxtor 120GB 7200 8MB < – Primary Master
Lite On 163D DVD-ROM <-- Primary Slave
Pioneer A05 <-- Secondary Master
Zip 100 <-- Secondary Slave

Does any body else have the same problme or it’s just me??

Has anybody purchased the DVD-R 4X media from ESBUY.COM and burn it at 4X successfully??

Any help would be appreciated…

Thanks!

Please~~~…

Don’t tell me it’s my burner…

I still have not figure out why my burner is taking twice as long as it should be…

Anhy suggestion would be helpful…

thanks~

well if you burn a full dvd at 4x, it takes about 15mins. and if you verify it, it’s another 15min. or actually less. so may be you are verfying the dvd after it’s burnt?? i do have a 40 pack brandless dvd that i bought from esbuy.com. it’s 4x and it burns in 15 min if i don’t verify it. regardless to what burner and media you use, if it burns in 30mins(no verification) for a full 4.3 gigs, it must be burning at 2x… i have no clue what the problem can be…

hmm… you have a pioneer drive too huh…

I dont’ think the burner is doing both during and verify…

I didn’t select the option for verify.

I have used Nero and Stomp Record MAX… both does the same thing…

Could it be my system setting??

I am getting very frustrated…

or I just got a defective drive…??

I have no problem getting 15 minutes with this same esbuy media for a full DVD burn (but on my Sony DRU500AX). I don’t mean to be insulting, but you didn’t say what you were burning…and there are different burn types at different rates, using either CLV or CAV modes. See this article for what I mean

If memory serves me, the Pioneer AO5 does 4x but only 2x with the AO4 model, which clearly specified using CLV (constant Linear Velocity–typically used for video) on DVD-R media.

LOL…I’m editing this post after just trying to look at Pioneer’s site, and found it interesting how clear they made this with the previous AO4 model where it specifies writing DVD-R at 2x CLV, but then with your model AO5, it no longer specifies the 4X as CLV.

Thanks PCStuff…

I am using my burner primarily for Video…

So that means when I burn Video it will take me 30 minutes???

CLV for video and CAV for data???

mmm… very very interesting…

does your SONY burn video in CAV??

I remember ppl with Pioneer A05 burn video in 15 minutes?? or I misread somewhere??

hmm, interesting. learned something new again, thanks PCStuff :slight_smile:

Ryobou, do you have a pioneer DVR-A05?

Can someone verify this…

Pioneer DVR-A05 can only burn Video at 2x and Data at 4x…

thanx

sorry i have a Sony DRU500AX. so i can’t answer you question. :stuck_out_tongue: but there seems to be a hand full of ppl who uses Pioneer so wait for them to reply :slight_smile:

Celeron, I honestly don’t know what the facts are with your Pioneer “05” model, since they curiously stopped listing that speed CLV/CAV specification that you see with the “04” model. I’m just trying to bring in some other issues to be aware of depending on what you are trying to do. Burning video is typically CLV, and Burning data is typically CAV (as well as reading it).

If you look at that link for the 04 model it does say that model

Writes DVD-R @ 2X CLV, 1x CLV
which is typically the one used for Video, and it would be reasonable to assume that the CLV is the same for the new “05” 4x -R writing, and should work for burning Video if you have compatible & 4x rated DVD-R media.

But there are so many factors besides the obvious +/-R, +/-RW media types and speed rating, and burning a given type of media with a given type of burner.

There are motherboard versions, firmware, Ultra DMA settings, hardware master/slave setups in conjunction with your other Primary/Secondary IDE drives, issues involving the correct type of IDE ribbon and position of Master/Slave connectors on the ribbon, Burner firmware versions, type of operating system (XP vs. Win9x) file system (NTFS vs. Win32), software program (NERO, etc.) defaults like the “verify-on” possibility.

There are also different performance speed ratings between a given DVD or CD burner and a specific brand of media. You cannot ask for advice with a type of media if someone has a different burner than you. It will be much slower if you try to copy DVD or CD “on the fly” instead of first reading to Hard Drive, then separately HD to Burner. (Ultimately that way does take longer because of the complete read, then complete write from HD…but it is the only way to go.)

I hate to also tell you that even with a given type of media, and burner it is well established that the burner hardware model and media (especially CD media), that when & where a particular burner model &/or type of media was made will affect it’s actual speed rating.

If you are doing things on the PC while it is burning, it may be causing packet writing errors that have to be auto-re-verified during the burning process that can slow it down…assuming you have a decent speed HD & the correct speed rated (66, 100, 133) IDE cable.

You need someone to come here and say they have almost the same setup in most of these ways as you, and using the same media to really know. As a suggestion, I would recommend buying a couple of quality brand-name DVD-R 4x rated media and see if you can rule out one of the more common issues ('El Cheapo media") before you jump the gun and start assuming it’s your burner.

You got one of the best rated Burners…why grab a no-name media to start with?

Thanks PCStuff… That’s a really long post… must take you a while to type that up.

I appreciate you help…

I have 2 friends have the same exact burner … their setup are relatively the same…

Windows XP SP1… NTFS file system… HD are different… P4… different CPU speed…

one of my friend claims to have difficult to play the DVD on other DVD-ROM drive after buring a movie… and the Movie DVD will only be read in the Burner drive…

The other friend… does not seem to have any trouble with the burner… he is using the same type of media… and I bulit his system…

I am looking toward the software problem now… Windows XP does not have the latest SIS IDE driver… Before I install any SIS IDE ATA133 driver… the burner will only burn at 5 % and then give me a coaster… after install the drive… the burner were cable to burn the media… but the speed is only 2x…

I might e-mail the SIS for support on their chipset and driver for this problem… hopefully I will find some answer from therm…

in the mean time. I might as well try that PCStuff suggested… getting an expensive media…

I will post the result once I get an answer to what happen to my burner…