Pioneer 216 burning slow

vbimport

I’ve just popped the 216 into a new pc and it’s taking 8:30 for an 18x burn. This is terribly slow as the old pc it was in it completed in around 4:30. There’s obviously nothing wrong with the burner, must be something with my hardware configuration, could someone point out what I should be looking for as a likely cause of this. The pc is Win XP sp2 , P4 2.8ghz /512mb ram.

Incidentally the old Liteon 16x burner in the same pc has always burnt far slower than it should.

Thanks for the help

I forgot to mention I’m using Nero 7.2, the buffer stays constant at 97% and I’ve already tried uninstalling the Ide channels with no difference.

Your “new” PC is that old? What is the SATA controller on the motherboard? You may need to check the settings and adjust appropriately. But if your 16x burner had slower-than-usual burns, then there could be other issues as well.

LOL I also have same with my 115D’s have retired them for now. Now using older NEC 3500’s for burning. Have full speed recording again, i use RecodNowMax v4.6 but tried 115D’s with other burning softwares. Asked here for updated drivers for speed with new (2008) drives (burning forum), no reply yet.

Have checked usual culprits cables, uninstalled the devices, made sure udma, checked for incompatible software (shitty vso etc) etc.

Have no nero installed or will ever have.

Up until it happened all was fine with both 115D’s. Even reimaged the pc system drive to before the summer (acronis), Media hasn’t changed same batch, burns full speed with NEC drives.

Mysterious indeed, maybe it is some problem all pioneers have over time, do they recover ?

There are no drivers needed for optical drives using Windows. Typically, drivers from nVidia, ATI, etc., are recommended to be uninstalled and use the standard ones from Windows instead.

If you expect drivers to help you increase the burning speed, keep on waiting. It is NOT a problem with Pioneer or any other manufacturer, it’s due to configurations with respect to the SATA/PATA ports.

Apologies for using an old machine, when I said new I was referring to where the drive was installed.
I just moved the 216 from a pc with the identical specs, and it burnt in 4:20. However the ‘new’ pc it burns in 8mins at max speed. So it has nothing to do with the age of the pc…

Incidentally I’ve just gone thru the headache of reinstalling XP on the machine, and it still gives 8 minute burns at 20x. This is getting excruciatingly frustrating.
The connected drives in Nero say connected on IDE, however the 216 is obviously on SATA, but I’ve played with the Bios IDE settings to no avail (ASUS P4P800E mb)
What on earth could be the issue?

Looks like your sata controller is not configured well ,or it does not like optical drives.
Go to the bios and set the sata controller into IDE mode, and try again.

[QUOTE=vroom;2158024]Looks like your sata controller is not configured well ,or it does not like optical drives.
Go to the bios and set the sata controller into IDE mode, and try again.[/QUOTE]

I’d say that, but the Liteon 16x drive on an ide channel has the same problems with burn speeds being twice the estimated time.
I tried changing the bios settings to SATA/ PATA/ SATA & PATA, and tried ide modes to both Enhanced & Legacy with no luck. As a last roll of the dice following the xp reformat I updated to the latest bios. Still the same 20x on Verbatim dvds around 8 mins… alas I’ve given up and am coming to accept the Asus P4P800E deluxe has issues and am unlikely to burn anything fast on it.
Which is a shame because I really liked the 216 and it’s quality high speed burns.

I also tried on various pc’s p3, p4 etc, reading is fine, just slow recording. Maybe some pioneers are weak drives, i have two from different batches, eludes me why they slow burn as yet.

Magnomix try a new os install if you have one on a backup image even better. Then you’ll have a fresh system installed, try then with Imgburn and burn a dvdr in build mode. This will tell if drive at fault or _nero, or other problem.

As our problem sound similar but different, here’s why i think you need to do the above.

[QUOTE=KTL;2157750]There are no drivers needed for optical drives using Windows. Typically, drivers from nVidia, ATI, etc., are recommended to be uninstalled and use the standard ones from Windows instead.

If you expect drivers to help you increase the burning speed, keep on waiting. It is NOT a problem with Pioneer or any other manufacturer, it’s due to configurations with respect to the SATA/PATA ports.[/QUOTE]
PX Drivers for RecordNowMax v4.6, last post here was for the NEC 3500AG x16 drive no updates seen since then.

Sure i tried other softwares ImgBurn so on to test record speed. Records slow still and was ok previously with RNMax and ImgBurn and other burners i used. Which may be similar to mangomix problem, except OP indicates problem with lite-on drive also. I have tested with older drives i have and all work at correct speed. Must be isolated otherwise many others would have posted here also by now if they have the same problem.

[QUOTE=robbi;2158187]

Magnomix try a new os install if you have one on a backup image even better. Then you’ll have a fresh system installed, try then with Imgburn and burn a dvdr in build mode. This will tell if drive at fault or _nero, or other problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks mate, I’ve already formatted and reinstalled the os. I’ll look into Imgburn , I generally use Alcohol or Nero.

I think this Pioneer 216D-BK is trash. I bought it a 5 days ago and haven’t been able to burn a single dvd since then. I am going to give it back and take 116D-BK (judging from review it schould be stable drive)

As for the 216-BK, I found a lot people compplaining about it and half of them seem to have the same problem i’m going trough

I just cant burn. Every time i start burning DVD, the buffer fills and then operation failed. Tryed 20 different medias and 4 other burning programs

I’m frustrated

[QUOTE=Axis;2158867]I think this Pioneer 216D-BK is trash. I bought it a 5 days ago and haven’t been able to burn a single dvd since then. I am going to give it back and take 116D-BK (judging from review it schould be stable drive)

As for the 216-BK, I found a lot people compplaining about it and half of them seem to have the same problem i’m going trough

I just cant burn. Every time i start burning DVD, the buffer fills and then operation failed. Tryed 20 different medias and 4 other burning programs

I’m frustrated[/QUOTE]

The reason mostly is not the drive but the sata controller on the mobo…

[QUOTE=Axis;2158867]I think this Pioneer 216D-BK is trash. I bought it a 5 days ago and haven’t been able to burn a single dvd since then.

I just cant burn. Every time i start burning DVD, the buffer fills and then operation failed. Tryed 20 different medias and 4 other burning programs[/QUOTE]
Have you another pc or a friends pc, that has a different chipset you can try it on.

Or adjust your motherboard bios settings for what Chef says above.

[QUOTE=mangomix;2158578]Thanks mate, I’ve already formatted and reinstalled the os. I’ll look into Imgburn , I generally use Alcohol or Nero.[/QUOTE]
Will be interested to know if it works any better using ImgBurn. For me it made no difference.

Something i didn’t try, you could make an iso of files to be written to dvd. Then write the iso to a dvd, using any software to do this. Does the writting speed improve ?

Yes I tried burning an img with Alcohol, speed was almost the same. The store that sold me the drive mentioned it could be my ram not agreeing with the system. Does anyone think this is likely?
I put the system together , looks like I’m going to have to pull it apart to troubleshoot it. Or pay them to do it :frowning:

:o I aplogize for my first post, i guess this problem made me crazy he he

Thanks to chef and robbi

I solved the problem partialy. My HDD’s are in RAID 0 on SATA 1 and 2, and the RAID controller is using NVIDIA nForce4 RAID drivers for RAID (i guess) and [U]NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA Controller[/U] for SATA and ATA (i think). The problem about not being able to burn was in Transfer mode.

By default, on detecting my Pioneer, it was set
"[U]Let BIOS select transfer mode[/U]" which he did and it was “[U]Serial ATA Generation 1 - 1.5G[/U]”. By changing the Transfer mode to [U]PIO[/U] (which is the only option left beside Serial ATA Gen. 1) and restarting the PC the problem was solved.

But, as I’m not a very experienced user i would like to know is there any other option i should see in the drop-down box (where i’m selecting transfer modes) beside those two mentioned above. Because…

In PIO transfer mode i’m able to burn or read DVD’s without problems, but CPU consuption is I think more than normal and data transfer is a little slower then usual.

From what i heared by googling trough the web is that the burner should not use PIO mode because its slow and uses CPU more then usual.

Also, many people suggested to set SATA in Lagay mode or IDE or what i know. I tryed to find it in BIOS (where it should be) with no success.

My MB is about 3 years old and the model is [U]DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D[/U]. Anyone who is familiar with BIOS that can help on the problem?

On my P4 (doesn’t have NForce) i think it is Enhanced or Compatible mode, will confirm later.

No editing of old posts it seems ?

This is what i have on an AMI bios p4 intel [option - setting used].

Onboard IDE operate mode - Enhanced Mode
Onboard IDE controller - Both

This option as long as sata isn’t used as primary boot device, allows all drives IDE and SATA to work. In windows or dos, in windows all drives operate at full speed.

Exception pioneer 115d recording slow speed, and affected exactly the same on other different pcs (115d drive problem!?!)

Just wanted to check with you guys, I assumed something might be wrong with my hard drive’s data transfer speeds (although buffer stays constant). I’m getting an average transfer speed of 40-45mbps, is that about right or is this what might be causing slow burns?