Pioneer 117 vs Liteon 163

can some one tell me which drive is better? i am planning to get one at newegg.com and the pioneer one is oem. I heard good things about the liteon drive, but cannot find a single review on the pioneer drive

i am planning to watch many dvds and and good picture/audio
it would also be nice if the drive is region crackable

I haven’t used the LiteOn but the Pioneer 117 is not very nice. It’s slow. The Pioneer 106S is better and it’s got the slot-in mechanism :smiley:

I would recommend the LIteon over the Pioneer. Pioneer has difficulty dealing with subchannel data, so backing up securerom is a problem.

Replaced my 106s Pioneer witha Liteon 163D. Not only is the liteon faster at ripping DVD, the DAE is plenty fast, and it reads subs. Other people on this forum would probably tell you to try to get a Toshiba. I haven’t been able to find one available in my area, so I went with the Liteon.

My pioneer 116 drive is terrible!

It won’t play most safedisc games, even originals!

And it also is very picky with cdr media.

If I insert a mitsubishi or verbatim (cyanine type) cdr then it only reads them at about 12x. Pthalocyanine are read at 24x. Just as a matter of interest, pressed cd’s I can get up to 32x, not the 48x as promised.

And to top it off. It only rips my dvd’s at max 3x. Not the 8x I expected.

A friend of mine has an earlier pioneer drive and it has the same problems.

Forget pioneer. I’m off to buy a Lite-On 165H drive today.

Originally posted by Lotus24
[B]I would recommend the LIteon over the Pioneer. Pioneer has difficulty dealing with subchannel data, so backing up securerom is a problem.

[/B]

And thats the other thing!
Pioneer suck ass.