Pioneer 115D - riplock?

vbimport

Hi All,

I’ve just bought a 115D(1.18) and put into a Core2Duo PC, 2GB Ram, masses HDD and connected over ATA.

Burn speeds never quite reach 20x, but getting to around 18x - but I always verify my burns.

I use ImgBurn 2.4.1.0 - and what I’m finding is that in verify mode, the 115 never gets above 6-8x.

I’ve just tried read mode in ImgBurn and I’m seeing the same thing.

Has my unit got a riplock that is causing this? I thought the 115 didn’t have a riplock?

Cheers

Dave

Ok - Odd. I’ve just done a rip from DVD Decrypter and it steadily rises up 15.9x

Is there some riplock in ImgBurn?

It has no riplock.

[QUOTE=robbi;2059289]It has no riplock.[/QUOTE]

Well something does. ImgBurn?

Was it the same disc you burned (with the 6-8 read speed) that you used to read in DVD Decrypter?

I get that problem when the data is on an IDE hard drive. If I try to verify an image that’s on my SATA hard drive all is fine.

My Pioneer 215 with 1.18 FW has some weird issue with verifying DVD-R media (TYG02), it’ll reach 8x just find and then messes up and actually slows down to about 6x over the remaining ~3GB of the disc.

The TRT in CDSpeed shows this very clearly. With DVD+R there is no such problem. It’s a bit odd really!

Maybe its the media your using?

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2059711]My Pioneer 215 with 1.18 FW has some weird issue with verifying DVD-R media (TYG02), it’ll reach 8x just find and then messes up and actually slows down to about 6x over the remaining ~3GB of the disc.

The TRT in CDSpeed shows this very clearly. With DVD+R there is no such problem. It’s a bit odd really![/QUOTE]

LightningUK! - this is what happens with my disks - goes up to 8 and then back down to 6. It doesn’t happen in DVD Decrypter.

Using MCC 03RG20 Verbatim and Infiniti disks.

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2059335]Was it the same disc you burned (with the 6-8 read speed) that you used to read in DVD Decrypter?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=Homeless;2059541]I get that problem when the data is on an IDE hard drive. If I try to verify an image that’s on my SATA hard drive all is fine.[/QUOTE]

My HDD is SATA. :sad:

I haven’t been able to replicate this problem that [B]LIGHTNING UK![/B] shows in the CD-Speed graph.

You need to keep in mind that these drives doesn’t read all DVD R media at 16x reading speed. Only media that is supported at 16x or higher writing speed is read-back at 16x. All other DVD R media is read-back at 12x, this includes TYG02.

Pic 1 TYG02 (supported at 12x writing speed, reads back at 12x).
Pic 2 Prodisc F02 (supported at 18x writing speed, reads back at 16x).

@[B]white43[/B]
As a matter of interest. Which OS is in use and which drivers are being used?

Hi :slight_smile:
No such problems here either. :cool:

The scan.

The media.

[B][U]N.B. Only have 16x rated TY media[/U][/B].
[U]I seem to remember that DL reading/ripping gave similar results[/U].
[U]This appeared to be likely down to system etc rather than drive or media[/U].

Hmm it’s very weird, the read on TYG03 is the same as on the TYG02 I tried earlier.

Yet if I read MMC-004-00, it goes up to 16x quite happily.

As I’m all out of ports on my ICH9R, I’ve had to put the drive on a Sil3512 card. It’s running the 4.3.84 bios and the 1.3.70 driver - which came from ‘Windows Update’ and is newer than the one on the Silicon Image website (1.3.68).

It’s not like the drive changes tone when reading, it’s always spinning at the same speed, it just isn’t dealing with enough I/O’s!

Mine isn’t the first drive I’ve seen to do this either. I hadn’t paid any attention to read speeds before I saw this other person’s graphs but had to double check my drive when I noticed how wrong his were. There’s obviously a compatibility issue somewhere but I’ve not taken the time to look into it.

FYI: My drive is using the official 1.18 firmware without any tweaks.

Hi :slight_smile:
Although my f/w is patched. It is for bitsetting only. I haven’t bothered with the speed read or rpc1.

Really weird behaviour [I]LIGHTNING UK![/I]. :confused:

Do you have an older computer with [I]“native”[/I] southbridge IDE bus to hook your 115D drive on.

BTW, to me it still looks like a mobo controller/driver problem. :wink:

Adding my contribution (drive on native IDE, Intel ICH5 mobo) with crap RiTEK-F1 18x, by drive rated, media.
(And, disc burned with BenQ DW1650.)

Maybe but what difference would it make to them which disc I have in the drive?!

It’s a compatibility issue alright but I’m not so sure the issue isn’t with the drive itself. I have (and have had) other drives on the same controller that run without a problem.

Having now tried the drive on ICH9R and a USB -> SATA adapter I can confirm it does the same thing.

It gets to 8x and then dies a very slow and horribly shaky death!

Using my I/O snooping tools I can see that there’s nothing odd going on with the read, commands are all being accepted and no error are returned. The only thing I can’t snoop on is the super low level stuff - i.e. the SPTD driver used in DAEMON Tools/Alcohol 120% etc.

Having disabled that and rebooted, the read speeds return to ‘normal’. :slight_smile:

As it doesn’t have this issue with the other drives in my PC, I guess it’s some odd latency issue or something that the chipset in the pioneer doesn’t like very much. I’ve contacted duplexsecure and told them of my findings. Hopefully they’ll look into it and will offer an updated driver with a fix/workaround.

Do you use AHCI on your ICH9 ?

No, it’s just in plain old ATA mode.