Pioneer 115 defective with TY CD-R

vbimport

Can the Pioneer 115 burn Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs correctly? I was selling a duplicating tower but at least 4 out of 11 drives were giving terrible QC scans so I bought 10 more drives. It seems like most of these drives are giving really strange results with TY media. Here are some scans.

George

Welcome to CDF’s:

At what speed are you burning them?

I have found that DVD drives don’t burn CD-R’s with as good of quality as my Plextor Premium CD-RW’s.

Some people will argue with me…

[QUOTE=georgewf;2046178]Can the Pioneer 115 burn Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs correctly? I was selling a duplicating tower but at least 4 out of 11 drives were giving terrible QC scans so I bought 10 more drives. It seems like most of these drives are giving really strange results with TY media. Here are some scans.

George[/QUOTE]

Strange…are you sure that they are real TY?
However I agree with Bob, especially if you burn audio CDs. :wink:

I have the tower set for 24X. I also put a drive in a PC and burned with Nero CD/DVD speed and got the same results. I tried older batches of TY media and it is about the same - maybe a little less with the old media but that was only one or two scans so I wouldn’t make an assumption.

For sure it is TY as I import it myself right from the source.

I tried some cheap media and got predictable results as below.

Ridata actually came out pretty normal without all these huge spikes but again that was only one test.

If anyone can please test their 115 with CD-R and let me know how it is. I suspect I have run into a bad batch of drives. How much QC are they doing on a $30 drive…

Thanks
George

Try burning one of your TY CD-R’s in that Plex 716 and scan it please.

I just left work so I can’t burn on a 716. But I did scan 10 burns done on some of my Pio 111 and 112s and they are still perfect after a lot of use with average C1 between 0.5 and 1. This attached scan is from another of the 115 burners and it is fine.

I am sure the drives are bad but I’ll have to wait weeks to get my money back and meanwhile my client just wants his tower.

Oh, the firmware in the 115 are v1.13 but I didn’t see any comment from Pioneer that they changed the CD burning parameters in the latest firmware.

[QUOTE=georgewf;2046328]I just left work so I can’t burn on a 716. But I did scan 10 burns done on some of my Pio 111 and 112s and they are still perfect after a lot of use with average C1 between 0.5 and 1. This attached scan is from another of the 115 burners and it is fine.

I am sure the drives are bad but I’ll have to wait weeks to get my money back and meanwhile my client just wants his tower.

Oh, the firmware in the 115 are v1.13 but I didn’t see any comment from Pioneer that they changed the CD burning parameters in the latest firmware.[/QUOTE]yeah it’s possible you have a few bad 115’s. And like you said about QC on a $30 drive… You client will have to wait or take it as is.

I hardly ever burn CDs anymore but have needed to burn a couple of discs today.

Here’s a scan of a ceramic That’s CDR burnt on a Pioneer 115D with v1.18 firmware.

[quote=mankmeister;2046568]Here’s a scan of a ceramic That’s CDR burnt on a Pioneer 115D with v1.18 firmware.[/quote] Please note that LiteOn DVD burners only report some of the C1 errors (only E31 instead of E11+E21+E31) which makes them poor choices for scanning CD media.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2046570]Please note that LiteOn DVD burners only report some of the C1 errors (only E31 instead of E11+E21+E31) which makes them poor choices for scanning CD media.[/QUOTE]

How about a BenQ 1640 or 1650? If so, what speed should I scan at?

[Off-topic]

[quote=mankmeister;2046578]How about a BenQ 1640 or 1650? If so, what speed should I scan at?[/quote] I suggest using the Advanced Disc Quality scanning tab with the BenQ DW1650/1640. I usually scan at 32x but scanning at 16x CLV might give you a slightly more fair view of Jitter, since 16x will be a Constant Linear Velocity.

Unfortunately, when using the ADQ Scan the scan statistics are in a separate window, but it does provide more information than the normal Disc Quality scan.

Take two, thanks to DrageMester.