Pioneer 112D bitsetting

is bitsetting that important?

just got a 112D firmware 1.22 and want to know if i should go through the trouble of flashing it (i have never done this before)

is it hard/risky for someone who has never done it? (don’t care about the warranty issue just the risk)

if i just use quality media and check for quality burns without bitsetting am i missing an important step?

@ radiohead21,

Using known proven quality Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media is an important step in obtaining consistent quality error free results.

The reason BitSetting is desirable is that BitSetting changes the Book Type of DVD+R Media from DVD+R to DVD-ROM which makes the Media more compatible to DVD PlayBack devices during PlayBack Viewing.

Perhaps reviewing the below CD Freaks article will provide additional information ->

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Increased-compatibility-DVD-bitsetting

The stock Official Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware only provides Auto Book Type BitSetting of DVD+R DL Media. The “Patched” Modified Firmwares adds Auto Book Type BitSetting of DVD+R SL Media.

The Media Code Speed Edit tool will “Patch” DVR-112D Firmware to allow Increase Read/Rip Speed, RPC-1 “Region Free” and BitSetting. Suggest reviewing the Pioneer DVD Burner Read First posting titled “MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Pioneer DVD-Writers” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/mediacodespeededit-support-pioneer-dvd-writers-153213) for detailed information on using the MCSE tool.

DVR-112D Firmware download links can be obtained by reviewing the Pioneer DVD Burner Forum posting titled “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917).

Flashing a Pioneer DVR-112D with Buffalo DVR-112L series Firmware will add BitSetting DVD+R SL Media plus DVD-RAM Media Burning capabilities to the DVR-112D. Forum Member koba has a DVR-112L “Flash Package” that provides the necessary information and Files to Flash a Pioneer DVR-112D to DVR-112L. Suggests reviewing the Instructions.Txt file included in the “Flash Package” for detailed “Flashing” information.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DB70XXWZ

http://rapidshare.com/files/51249663/Updated_Firmware_and_utility_for_A12J_112L.rar.html

Regards,
bjkg

thanks! but i was looking for more of an opinion as to wether i should even bother with bitsetting my SL media. i’ve come across many of those threads/posts already. i’m just concerned that as a newbie i’ll screw up my drive in the process of patch/flashing.

is my concern valid? is either way, MediaCodeSpeedEdit or flashing, easier for a newbie?

fyi my main use is for dvd backups. i want to back up my new dvd’s correctly from now on and i may also re-backup my old dvd’s since all of those are backed up onto crap media (some of which have nice paper labels on them and are mostly unplayable :doh:)

You dont really need SL bitsetting unless your target player has problems recognizing DVD+R media. My old home DVD player wouldn’t play DVD+R unless they were bitset to DVD-ROM, so bit setting used to be important to me. That player has since broken and my new one has no such issues, so now bitsetting is not really important to me anymore.

[QUOTE=radiohead21;1984300]thanks! but i was looking for more of an opinion as to wether i should even bother with bitsetting my SL media. i’ve come across many of those threads/posts already. [B]i’m just concerned that as a newbie i’ll screw up my drive in the process of patch/flashing.
[/B]
is my concern valid? is either way, MediaCodeSpeedEdit or flashing, easier for a newbie?

fyi my main use is for dvd backups. i want to back up my new dvd’s correctly from now on and i may also re-backup my old dvd’s since all of those are backed up onto crap media (some of which have nice paper labels on them and are mostly unplayable :doh:)[/QUOTE]

If you follow the instruction given in many threads here follow precisely then there shouldnt be a problem.
One thing always to rem: Flashing is at your own risk!

If you follow the instructions you should have no problem flashing as Chef stated and bitsetting to a DVD-ROM is the best way to go as they will play in any player, Just why a person wouldn’t want the best and latest firmware puzzles me, just my 2 cents

thanks for the input!

i’ve actually been having a lot of success with my DL back-ups (much thanks to this site) so i won’t even be doing many SL back-ups so i’m not going to worry about it i think. 1:1 back-ups are so much more satisfying. i hated having to eliminate extras or split between two disks. just hope the price of DL’s go down. thanks again

@ radiohead21,

If appears from your #7 posting that you are content with not flashing your Pioneer DVR-112D v1.22 at all.

You should be reminded that although you recently acquired your new Pioneer DVR-112D v1.22 DVD Burner that your Pioneer DVR-112D v1.22 presently has old out of date obsolete version 1.22 firmware and not the newest most current up to date version 1.24 Firmware.

If your goal is to obtain the best possible quality Burning results it is recommended flashing your Pioneer DVR-112D v1.22 with the newest most current up to date version 1.24 Firmware. You stated that your intension is to primarily use DL Media and the newest most current up to date version 1.24 Firmware has greatly improved DL Media write strategies.

Quite frankly if are updating to newest most current up to date the Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware it doesn’t make mush sense not running the Official Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware through Media Code Speed Edit tool and “Patching” the Firmware with the “Increase Read Speed”, RPC1 Region Free”, and “Enable BitSetting” options prior Flashing your Pioneer DVR-112D Drive.

Regards,
bjkg

bjkg-

flashing your Pioneer DVR-112D v1.22 with the newest most current up to date version 1.24 Firmware

already did this before i burned anything but thanks for the heads up

…running the Official Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware through Media Code Speed Edit tool and “Patching” the Firmware with the “Increase Read Speed”, RPC1 Region Free”, and “Enable BitSetting” options…

just did this! but i can’t seem to do bitsetting. RPC1 patch works so the patched firmware is there. don’t know if it’s a problem with the patch or a problem with how i’m trying to do bitsetting…

all three boxes were checked when i saved from MCSE. the only thing is that when i checked the boxes the RPC1 box greyed out after i checked it (with the check still there) don’t know if that has anything to do with it?

i’m just using CDspeed to try bitsetting (the bitsetting options remains greyed out. btw, i use CloneDVD, CloneCD, AnyDVD. could you point me to some info on bitsetting procedures?

@ radiohead21,

Pioneer DVR-112D Book Type BitSetting is “Automatic”- meaning that no user intervention is required to BitSet DVD+R Media to Book Type DVR-ROM. It’s foolproof and done automatically when DVD+R Media is Burned with any DVD Burning software program.

What you described in posting #9 is Normal when using the MCSE tool to apply the BitSetting “patch” to the Firmware.

Regards,
bjkg

well how bout that! thanks for all the help

I’m trying to do this, but my 112d is in a Mac, and both the firmware and flash are Windows. Am I out of luck? I really need to change the bitset.

Thanks!
-Dana

You’ll have to tweak the firmware using a Windows computer [since MediaCodeSpeedEdit only works in Windows], but you can flash the modified firmware with a Mac-compatible DVRFlash from http://dvrflash.rpc1.org/.

The whole process might be smoother if you were to just use a donor Windows machine for the whole process, and put the Pioneer back in the Mac after you’ve verified the flashing process was successful. That’s what I would do in this case. Either that, or use BootCamp [assuming your Mac is a version that supports it?] to install Windows and do what you need to do.