Pioneer 111D as slave

vbimport

has anyone of you tried the Pioneer 111D as slave and if so what has the outcome been? Is it even possible?

I have seen no trouble as long as you use an 80 wire cable, which is necessary no matter what position it holds on the cable.

I have the 40 wire flat ribbon cable. Can that be replaced by an 80 wire flat ribbon cable?

is this an 80 wire flat ribbon cable?

It is hard to say what it is as the two pictures are of two different cables and one appears to be 40 wire. In answer to your first question, yes, the 40 wire can be directly replaced with 80 wire. I would check with svc.com. Their cables are almost all 80 wire and they have very cheap shipping for small items.

sinclair84 -

The below Web Link provides an excellent picture of a Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable ->

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

BeLooken

Thanks for replying

there shouldnt be a difference if burner is master or slave right…as long as all cables are correct.

There are some unlucky combinations such as having a rack mounted HDD together with a burner on the same cable, which can cause problems on several controller and HDD/ODD combinations. Using 40 pin cable will not hurt the ODD performance and sometimes cures communications problems. You must pay attentions to a few rules: master unit is better to place to the end of the cable and if you have 80 pin cable and you intend to use HDD in rack, be sure to have 80 pin cable inside the rack too, to have the same cable type on the whole bus. Pioneer drives are sometimes sensitive to cables, so try a 40 pin cable and place the burner to the end of the cable as master.

so the master is better to have at the end of the cable if i have a HDD on the same cable?

It is the [I]only[/I] place to put the Master drive. Drives jumpered as Master go at the end and those jumpered as Slave go in the middle.

Cable Select is another option but most people are not very enthusiastic and it is always the first thing to go if there is any trouble shooting.

To get the best performance from recent Pioneer burners it’s a given that you use 80wire cables. And as [B]Chas0039[/B] states the master must be on the end connector & the slave in the middle.

Personally I use Cable Select without any problems so I can move things around easily but there are some situations where this will not work correctly. Never happened to me but others have had problems.

Believe me, 80 wire cables are not required (I am operating dozens of drives and testing new and older drives simultaneously). If the controller itself can handle the 40 wired cable and sets the device to UDMA-2 corresponding to the type of the cable, everything must be okay. And UDMA-2 is far enough for 16x speed burning/reading. Yes, master device should be on the end connector, I agree, I stated the same.

Personally I use Cable Select without any problems so I can move things around easily but there are some situations where this will not work correctly. Never happened to me but others have had problems.

Yes, others have many problems with Cable Select - you are lucky :slight_smile: Depending on the ATA/IDE controller (motherboard chipset) sometimes the 40 wire cable gives much stable process than the so preferred 80 wired cables. The lenght of the cable is also a key factor, extra long and fancy rolled IDE cables can cause a lot of trouble.

Below is an Official Pioneer Web Page concerning specifications for the Pioneer DVR-111D. On the below referenced Official Pioneer Web Page there are two notations specifically stating that an 80 Wire IDE cable is required.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/43/92/442/DVR-111D/index.html

The below Web Link describes the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable and how to correctly configure the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable IDE.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Best Regards,
bjkg

There have been more posts here than I can recall where a Pioneer owner has had problems and these problems have disappeared when the user switched to an 80 wire cable. I have personally seen it on three different systems where the only thing that could have caused the problem was the 40 wire.

Specifications do not always tell the entire story, but there is enough empirical evidence to clearly state that Pioneer drives are best used with 80 wire cables. This does not necessarily mean that they are needed in [I]every[/I] system; it just means that you might be spending some time troubleshooting problems if you ignore this conclusion.

I think there are the same amount of empirical evidence to declare that Pioneer drives are run better on UDMA-2 mode with 40 wired cable in [U]some system environments[/U], so if the user experiences communication problems with the drive, it is a good idea to try a 40 wired cable and switch to UDMA-2, regardless of the official specification. Official specification from Pioneer is nothing more than a recommendation (I have all Pioneer drives from the beginning), I installed few hundreds of burners and I build special duplication systems for companies for years, so what Im telling is purely based on real life experiences with many configuration (motherboards, ATA/IDE controllers etc.).

Running this drive in UDMA2 mode makes it almost impossible to flash it.

If you think that works for you, great.

I, however, have never seen a Pioneer 109 or 111 encounter a problem because of an 80 wire cable, while many, many instances of problems with 40 wire cables have been documented.

While it would be of interest to see why you think you have evidence of the superiority a 40 wire cable, I will not ever be recommending it for any purpose. The potential for trouble is proven and as chef has pointed out, and he has much more experience with Pioneer than I do, it would be a royal pain to swap out cables every time one wanted to flash a drive.

Why would Pioneer state “Officially” that a Pioneer DVR-111D requires the use of a Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable if in fact the 80 Wire IDE cable was not actually required?

Other than some “Word Of Mouth” rumor I would like to see hard fact documentation that a Pioneer DVR-111D connected to a Standard (40-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable “Run Better” than a Pioneer DVR-111D connected to a Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable as suggested by Forum Member Ppeter.

I agree with Forum Member chef above quoted statement concerning Firmware flashing problems with a Pioneer DVR-111D connected to a Standard (40-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable. A CD Freaks Forum search will confirm this fact.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Everybody has to do things the way they think work best.

For me I’m sticking to 80wire cables throughout my systems & will continue to give that advice having seen it solve so many problems reported on the forum.

I doubt that there’s any benefit to be gained by further discussing 40 v 80wire cables in this thread.