Pioneer 109 Burning Speed Increase

Hi,

I have 4 x DVD media. I also have a single Pioneer 109 Writer. Is there a patch available so I can write at higher speeds? I know this was possible with my old 106.

If so, please can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

:bow:

It will depend on the media and firmware.

The latest firmware is 1.50.

RiDisc 4x DVD-R if that’s of any help

I have upgraded from the pionner site but I can still only write at 4x and not 8x like I could on my old drive

Although quality writers like NEC have proven 4x @ 8x for media like Ritek is perfectly fine, Pioneer encrypts their firmware in such a way that makes it really hard for customized firmware to be released.

But Pioneer is being more stupid than they are stubborn in not allowing this, even in their legitimate firmware. I say this because they have a superior writing method, one that would allow perfect reliablility on a RiData 4x disc burned @ 8x.

Support for faster speeds on your media will come, but likely not for a long time.

Please check out the other threads to make sure you have the 109 installed correctly! The 109 is a very nice unit!

Things to check!

1. master
  2. umda4
  3. 80 pin cable
  4. some mobos will not do any FW flash without the dvr program
  5. some systems will not do a flash without a blank disk in the tray
  6. will not perform correctly on some IDE PCI cards.
  7. on and on and on

And oh yes it is a pain in the butt, but a fine drive once crossflashed to a A09XL.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1023284#post1023284

You have not crossflashed if the quiet drive utility does not show. Check the other threads out!

http://pioneer109.com/phpBB2/

1. Once I cross flashed it was a perfect drive.

From the Pioneer 109 forum

Download the 109v1.50 firmware from http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/down...109_FW150EU.EXE

Extract the files and delete the Pioneer upgrade (UPGR109.exe). You will be left with 2 files, R9100009.150 & R9100109.150.

Download DVRupdate 0.9 from
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/wwwim...date%20v0.9.zip

Extract DVRupdate 0.9.exe to the same folder as the 2 files above.

Run DVRupdate 0.9 and do the following:

1. Select your drive from the ‘Device’ drop down box
  2. Select the Kernel file by clicking the folder icon to the right of the ‘Kernel’ field. The correct file will automatically be selected if you have run DVRupdate from the same folder as the R9100009.150 & R9100109.150 files.
  3. Select the Normal file by clicking the folder icon to the right of the ‘Normal’ field. The correct file will automatically be selected if you have run DVRupdate from the same folder as the R9100009.150 & R9100109.150 files.
  4. Click ‘Start’
    The operation takes about a minute. Exit DVRupdate.

Reboot.

NEC 3500 2D
NEC 3450 103C
NEC 3530 1.V1=dead
Plextor 716a 1.07
Aopen 1608/1616 1000
Pioneer 109/A09 150
Two Dell 8400s with SATA HDs

NEC 3500 2D
NEC 3450 103C
NEC 3530 1.V1=dead
Plextor 716a 1.07
Aopen 1608/1616 1000
Pioneer 109/A09 150
Two Dell 8400s with SATA HDs

etp

Keep in mind, after you have crossflashed, you still will not burn 4X media at 8X. You will just read DL discs faster.

Hmm, you think thats all the reason we crossflash ?

He will rip at 12x now not 5x, thats main reason we crossflash, i know got a real A-09 anyhow and the 16x dvd media is so affordable i not really need a hacked FW anymore, deregioned dont matter to me as i dont go to USA to bring dvds back to UK i could use software to kill region and marcro easily.

Good morning Chas!
Yep! Slow media will not get faster on the 109. But some system setups will not allow the full speed that the media allows. So make sure your system is setup perfect and your are crossflashed! Then buy Ty02 and burn away! LOL

PS/ where is Excelsior, USA?

humeyboy // nice to have a real A09

Good morning to you. I’m in Minnesota.

Why not just use Vebratuim as Pioneer advise, you get a 25x cake spindle for under £10 uk thats for both 16x dvd+r and dvd-r. both are a few pennies diff in price, you will hit around 5mins 30secs or abouts.

He wanted to make use of some 4X media he already owned. BTW, most 16X media burns much better at 12X and you only sacrifice a few seconds over the usual 16X time of 6 min.

Thats a myth, the 109 is meant for 16x and so is the above media, burning slower creates more and longer heat, if you want to burn a dvd and use it in future do so as its designed for, if you want to make scans and jack off to it thats beyond me.

:confused:

OR

Buy a 12x dvd writer and 12x media LOL

Sure… hundreds of scans that show better quality at 12x or even 8x on 16x media is a myth. =) And a 30 sec more exposure to heat will permanently damage the disc. =)

Slower burning speed myth only applies if burning 8x+ media at 1x, 2x and also maybe 4x speeds… but mostly because manufacturers don’t tune the write strategies or use one default write strategy for those speeds so it’s not really a heat problem.

This has been debated 1000x only n00bs buy a 16x writer to use it only at 12x esp if they have real 16x media and who the hell but some anal peeps want to look at scans all day, i burn my data to dvd and put it away till i need it next and its never failed me, i assume most buy a dvd writer to write their large amounts of data not make pretty scan to give them a boner ?.

Some peeps need to get a life.

Ive said it before thjey may as well have stayed in the stoneage and use 8x cdr writers ontop that while rest us use 52x.

Thanks for jumping in Quikee; I really did not want to get into another flame war. Just think what would have happened if I stated that faster burning decreases the life span of the media…oops, too late. :wink:

Load of BOLLOCKS, e-mail all drive makers and tell them 16x is bad HAHA.

The only thing thats damaged is these Neanderthal peeps brains that like to jack off to scans all day instead of burning and putting it away in safe place till they need again.

That’s why I was quiet afterwards. Not that I had nothing to say… but I was too busy with scanning. :stuck_out_tongue: LOL

There is none like “nx4all” for the 109 series.
Burn your 4x rated discs at 4x and it should be fine.

Some GOOD 8x rated discs can be burnt at 12x and at 16x…

Quick question… After a 109 is crossflashed to an A09, when updating future firmware, do I use the A09 firmware with the included updater from now on or do I have to keep using DVRUpdate?