This is my first post here.
This post is in regards to a burning issue I have noticed with newly purchased and installed 109 burner from yesterday.
The manufacturing date of my unit was Jan. 2005 and came with stock firmware 1.01. I immediately flashed to 1.09 and began burning. Here is the issue. When burning any type of media I have here the device buffer is jumping around a lot. Something that never happened on my 108 drive. When the device buffer jumps around the write speed ends up throttling itself down until it gets itself in proper shape again. I first tested with TYG02 media which burned up to 12x on my 108 without issue. Trying again on this drive the buffer was dipping and dropping like crazy during burning and the write speed kept throttling back. My 108 would burn these exact discs in 6:54. The 109 took well into 7min to get the same disc done. I tried burning the same discs at 4x thinking 12x was too fast. Even at 4x the buffer and write speed does the same thing. I moved onto some CMC-MAG-F01 +R media which burned at 4x without issue on my 108. This too is having the buffer fluctuate far more than it should and has write speed throttling between 3.7-4.0 on a regular basis. What is going on here? These exact discs were no problem at all on my 108. I understand this is a new chipset and pioneer has some work cut out for them, I just hope I am not the only one experiencing this. This drive is in need of some major fine tuning. At this moment I am re gretting ridding of my 108 as it seemed to be much faster and more stable.
Before anyone mentions DMA, cable etc etc yes the drive is in UDMA4 mode and I am using an 80pin cable, same as was used on my 108. I am using a 600w OCZ powerstream PSU with one of the shielded molex being used for the unit so power is not an issue. Prior to installing the drive I uninstalled the old one as well as uninstalled the IDE controllers via device manager to have everything reinstall itself from fresh. The drive is the only IDE device present and it is set as Primary Master. Primary slave as well as the entire Secondary connector is disabled and I have my harddrives on SATA. Just to clarify all the burning was done with the latest decrypter 3.5.2. The buffer doesn’t move for my drives feeding data to the unit its the device buffer that is fluctuating.
If anyon else is experiencing this please do share as this is worrying me that my new drive is acting the way it is. Just to clarify as well I am running XP SP2 on a 2.5ghz Athlon XP setup with a GIG of ram so my computer speed is also not an issue.
Sorry for my rambling, just trying to make it as clear as possible.