Pioneer 109-1.17 dvd-r(x4) buffer level fluctuation

vbimport

hi,
i just got the dvr-109,
when i burn data on a ritek clonedisc g04 dvd-r x4,

i often see the buffer level in Nero going from 97-99% to 10% for half a second, then going back to 97-99%.

It makes me very suspicious with this drive & firmware.
(and i’m not taking into account the xbox + dvd-r problem)

Does the drive work correctly for some of you?

Its probably when the OPC kicks in. Dont worry too much about it.
Check out some of adorable’s postings. See his “Good & Bad Media for 109/A09” thread

I’ve noticed this aswell. It happens more than a few times per burn.

me too as well … at last the answer comes out !

my dvr-105 which is still on the same computer, same system, does not have these fluctuation with the same media, which plays perfectly on my home dvd player (when burned from dvr-105, haven’t tried with the 109 yet)

but the transfer rate curve with the burned dvd is very good, so the dvd seems ok.
i’d like to run the nero->extra->Dsic quality test, but the start button is greyed (how do i do?)

Go into Registry and change the following HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality\Blocked
Remove the entry for Pioneer.
Although I must tell you, on mine it gives awfull results.

What does this registry change ?
>Although I must tell you, on mine it gives awfull results.
what do you mean ? the dvd has lots of reading error, it’s slower ?

You asked

i’d like to run the nero->extra->Dsic quality test, but the start button is greyed (how do i do?)

This how you make the test work on Pioneer drive.

Awful results as in. Shows very high PI/PO in CD Speed Quality test.
DVD info shows even higher results.

Thx,
well i’ll never be again able to do test with the dvr-109, i exchanged it for a nec 3520a.
Not the best writer it seems, but at least compatible with ps2, xbox and without strange behavior, and cheaper. I wanted a benQ but it seems there is a pb with ps2 backup & dvd-r (and my ps2 do not like dvd+r, neither the xbox.

But thank you for the forums and everybody, it’s an endless source of information.

Hope the next pioneer will be compatible with everything, working well, +bitsetting and allow overspeed burn (since pioneer never seems to acknowledge ritek x8 or x16 as x8 or x16, but only x4 - i’m fed up with this policy of recknognising only specific dvd’s. Until that i’ll never buy i pioneer again. (i was happy with my 105 only because of the modified firmware)

Just wrong.
Visit the mediachart and you’ll see which media will burn at higher speeds than they are rated for…

yups sorry about that, i was just not sure, it was the case with the 105 though.
just i had x4 ritek clonedisc -r, i was allowed to burn them at x4 max with nero and 109.
Still i admit i talked without knowing sorry:)