Pioneer 108 speed issues

vbimport

I just got a 108 and at first it appeared to be working fine with ritek G05 media, after updating nero I was able to select 12x for the speed, however, when the files are actually written it takes 15mins suggesting it is stuck on 4x. I have updated the firmware to 1.10 but still the same problem. Any suggestions??

btw the drive is in an external usb2 enclosure but nero dvd speed shows the discs can be written and read upto 12x without errors.

cheers.

Run some diagnostic tests with the tools discussed here:
http://forum.firmware-flash.com/viewtopic.php?t=28488

My 108 won’t even burn G05 media at 8x speed. 4x is all I can get with it. I have updated to firmware 1.10, use latest Nero and I know my system is capable of supporting higher speeds because I can burn TDK 8X DVD+Rs at 12x (Ricoh JPNR02) with near perfect quality.

I’ve read posts from others with the same results as me - one person says they eMailed Pioneer about the issue, to be told that it would be fixed in a new firmware.

I don’t understand why people with the same firmware report such different results with the same media codes. There’s not really a great variety of well-priced reasonable quality media in Australia (most of the cheaper stuff is rubbish), so I’m hanging out for G05s to work well with this burner.

Fortunately, the price of the TDKs has dropped significantly of late - Dick Smith now has them for just under $34 for 25 so I’m just sticking with these for now, since they work so well for me.

This won’t be of much help or comfort but I am on my second Pioneer 108 drive because of the same issues. I spent two weeks messing about trying to get the first drive to burn at more than 4 X on many different types of -R & +R media in 4 different PCs without success. I have tried the following:-

Checked the DMA at UDMA4 and UDMA2
Checked various ASPI layers from 4.60 to 4.72
Uninstalled and reinstalled ATAPI drivers
Uninstalled and reinstalled Nero, DVD Decryptor, CloneDVD and other recording software
Changed the IDE cables
Used the Pioneer 108 alone as a Master Drive.

The first drive went back to OCUK and they test all returned items before sending out a replacement. If they don’t find anything wrong they charge you for the pleasure.

When I received the second drive I was extremely disappointed to have all the same problems. The only difference with the replacement drive is that for some strange reason NERO will simulate an 8 X burn in 7 mins and 52 seconds but actually write in 15 minutes and 25 seconds. I have been using Arita 8 X discs (Ritek G05) which is the same disc that Pioneer put their name on for their own brand.

It’s all a bunch of crap really. I have 2 Plextor drives that burn flawlessly at 8 X and a Pionner 106D that writes at 4 X quicker than the 108!!!

I can only assume and hope, judging by the high number of posts on the same subject, that there are a lot of duff drives out there because in 4 weeks of reading and subscribing to a number of forums I am nowhere nearer to solving this problem… Somebody prove me wrong please…

I had a problem with G05, I burnt one at 12x, but it failed at the 12x point, the next I burnt would only let me write at 4x, but once this burned ok I can now burn at 12x again, it could be some sort of fail safe for the burner, I now burn them at 8x however in case I have a poor batch

The discs I used originally where the Arita 8x pink top discs. I found it was THESE that were causing my problems. The sim worked fine but the speed did not go above 3.9x during an actual write. I stopped using the pink top arita and purchased some datawrite G05 yellow tops and everything has burnt fine at 12x with the official 1.10 firmware making me conclude that Arita are just crap discs and caused all my problems.

Hope this helps.

The discs I used originally where the Arita 8x pink top discs. I found it was THESE that were causing my problems. The sim worked fine but the speed did not go above 3.9x during an actual write. I stopped using the pink top arita and purchased some datawrite G05 yellow tops and everything has burnt fine at 12x with the official 1.10 firmware making me conclude that Arita are just crap discs and caused all my problems.

OK, a refreshing bit of advice, I will order the same media tomorrow and give it a try… Thanx

I took delivery of some Datawrite -R Yellow tops today and at least they burn at 8 X if not higher. Makes you wonder about the general quality of media available today. It’s strange that the same disc burns at 12 X on your 108 and only 8 X on mine… I suppose a lot could be said about the quality of firmware releases from Pioneer.

I also took delivery of some Mirror Platinum +R’s (YUDEN000) which only burn at 4 X on the Pioneer 108 but did burn at 12 X on my Plextor 712SA (SATA). I am going to try some Verbatim +R’s 1-8 Speed next as recommended on another thread… All a bunch of crap really, My Plextor’s don’t have any problems with any of the media in my possession.

I just updated my Pioneer 108 to firmware revision 1.14 and remarkably the quickest writing media in my possession is now a +R!!! The Mirror Platinum +R with the YUDEN000 manufacturers ID just burned as follows: -

I 09:29:18 Operation Started!
I 09:29:18 Source File: E:\MANNEQUIN.MDS
I 09:29:18 Source File Sectors: 2,000,704 (MODE1/2048)
I 09:29:18 Source File Size: 4,097,441,792 bytes
I 09:29:18 Destination Device: [3:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.14 (F:) (ATA)
I 09:29:18 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
I 09:29:18 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
I 09:29:18 Write Mode: DVD
I 09:29:18 Write Speed: MAX
I 09:29:18 Test Mode: No
I 09:29:18 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 09:29:19 Filling Buffer…
I 09:29:19 Writing LeadIn…
I 09:29:34 Writing Image…
I 09:35:22 Synchronising Cache…
I 09:35:23 Closing Track…
I 09:35:27 Finalising Disc…
I 09:36:05 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:06:46
I 09:36:05 Average Write Rate: 11,531 KB/s (8.3x) - Maximum Write Rate: 16,654 KB/s (12.0x)

With the new firmware installed I didn’t notice any significant gains with the -R media in my possession but it is a very big improvement to the +R format.

DON’T FORGET EVERYONE !!!

Not all media is created equally :eek: :a and not even the same BRAND is always the same.

I’ve purchased Memorex 4x that were Richo’s but the next batch that I got turned out to be CMC’s. So the moral of the story is you just really never know what your going to get when you buy discs. Oh the same also happened with Maxell and others.

The only one I have found that seem to be consistant is Verbatims.