Pioneer 107 Or Liteon 812

Hi new to this, I want to buy my first DVD writer, I have narrowed it down to the 107 or 812.

I would to backup region 1 & 2 DVD’s and put JPGS on DVD and try and be future proof.

The Pioneer seems to been around longeg than the 812 and I have seen lots of firmware avaliable for the 107.

Not a lot for the Liteon but I have read about Liteon tools, does that mean you dont have to change firmware?

I am sure there are pro’s and cons for both is there anything I am over looking

Many thanks

Dave

If you’ve really narrowed your choice down to these two drives, your safest bet would be to wait until OC-freak reviews the 812S rather that rushing to the store, buying it and then to find out that the Pioneer is (might be?) the better drive of the two.

Also, keep looking around in the LiteOn and Pioneer forum for user experience reports.

(Proud and happy NEC2500A owner :iagree: )

I’m pretty confident the LiteOn 812S will be better then the 107. Of course this is just speculation from the few bits of data I’ve seen so far. Regarding firmware support, LiteOn is one of the best out there for updates. Especially on newer drives.

Oh, the 812S just officially began supporting bit setting today as well :smiley: (see the LiteOn tools guide in my sig for more details).

I’m also in the market for a DVD Writer. I’m looking for one with a good firmware update rate, a decent media compatibility, and good reliablity.

Pioneer’s (A107) got a very good track record. As I understand from what I read. As for liteon, I got a CDRW drive by Liteon and It’s great, I just don’t know if the same goes for the 812s…

The Target is mainly for Archiving Purpose, So I need a Very Reliable Writer.

Thanks!!

Originally posted by mulderfox
[B]

The Target is mainly for Archiving Purpose, So I need a Very Reliable Writer.

Thanks!! [/B]

As far as I can see, then your main criterium would be write quality and life span of your DVD media.

In that case you should consider the NEC2500A (reigning king of DVD write quality) and high quality media like Taiyo Yuden.

Good luck choosing!

Originally posted by FoxBat
[B]If you’ve really narrowed your choice down to these two drives, your safest bet would be to wait until OC-freak reviews the 812S rather that rushing to the store, buying it and then to find out that the Pioneer is (might be?) the better drive of the two.

Also, keep looking around in the LiteOn and Pioneer forum for user experience reports.

(Proud and happy NEC2500A owner :iagree: ) [/B]

do you know when oc-freaks will review the 812?

Originally posted by happyperoil
do you know when oc-freaks will review the 812?

No, you’d have to ask someone like OC-freak or one of the other moderators. I have no knowledge of upcoming reviews (I’m just a junior member :bigsmile: ).

oc-freak said me that liteon probably will send him a 812s on May :sad:

The DVDWriters seem to be a differnt ball game for them…
Read the Liteon forums and you will see its not all praises like the liteon CDWriters used to get.

The whole point most people come to these forums is to ask for help. LiteOn are very popular drives, especially more so with people that even know what a forum is = more LiteOn questions/problems posted in this forum.
In my eyes that is not indicative of a bad drive(s) but of forum being used the way it is supposed to be.

Originally posted by Ssseth
The whole point most people come to these forums is to ask for help. LiteOn are very popular drives, especially more so with people that even know what a forum is = more LiteOn questions/problems posted in this forum.

Could not agree with you more. Besides that it’s unfortunate that kprobe only works on Lite-On drive. Only Lite-On owners know how good/bad their burning. Thus, create more questions/complaints/whinings even if the disks are working fine. This would not happen with other drives. Also, modding their drives to faster speed are among other popular posts here.

I own a 107D, but suggest a 2500A… Well anyways, does anyone know if the new LiteOn drive supports KProbe?? If so I might go pick one up. :slight_smile:

Ryobou

Originally posted by Ssseth
In my eyes that is not indicative of a bad drive(s) but of forum being used the way it is supposed to be.

I completely agree with you! :iagree:

I own a 107D, but suggest a 2500A…

For what reason?

Dont know why but I have considered a NEC 2500 can you make the them region free?

I just happen to own an NEC ND-2500A, a LiteON LDW-451S (overclocked to LDW-851S), and a Pioneer DVR-107D and I can recommend any one of them. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, but the write quality of all drives using decent media is excellent.

Yes, you are right.
Hi Antonio.

Thats very slow for liteon to take till May to get a 812s to OCFreak. By then they will have there x8 Dual Layer out…